Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Blackstone 36" Griddle is LEGIT

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    Looking Good!!  I plan to make some fried rice this week.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    I feel like a blasphemer saying this, but I almost enjoy cooking on it more than the egg. They are great compliments to each other. I smoked some chicken quarters last week for my mom because they make soup and quesadillas and bunch of stuff out of them. I kept one and I don't particularly like left over chicken for some reason. Well I cubed it up, through a quick marinade of soy/worch./rice wine vinegar/texas petes/touch of agave and then through it on the griddle with some onions and poblanos and made a quick sandwhich. Definitely the best way I've ever had reheated chicken. Sorry no pics but it was quick and I was sweating it's so damn hot in texas right now.

I abosultely love this thing and can't wait to get it built into the out door kitchen this fall. the gf is working on a cover for it. Can't wait for that to be done either. 
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited August 2015
    @thatgrimguy Fried rice is the cook that makes me very glad I went with the 36".  I just made some again yesterday, and it was terrific.  

@tamu2009  I agree, it's very enjoyable to cook on.  I debated the merrits for quite a while prior to pulling the trigger on the Blackstone, but between the breakfasts, smashburgers, grilled cheese, and fried rice - it would be sorely missed. 

Phoenix 
  • tamu2009
    @blasting I cannot wait until tailgate's are back because breakfast on this thing is going to be so much fun for everyone. And then little snack size lunch things like grilled cheese, with the finale coming form the egg in the form of brisket or ribs or pulled pork. Going to be an all star year tailgating.
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • GuitarEC
    GuitarEC Posts: 122
    Okay - so this weekend the wife has told me that this is not an "If", but a "When".  WOOT!!!

Other big issue, though - Seasoning.  I see a lot of people on here seasoning this thing with onions.  The only issue I have is the wifey is allergic to onions.  Is this a more or less required seasoning step, or could it be skipped for something else?

Thanks,

Eric "GuitarEC"
    Metro Atlanta, Ga.
  • blasting
    @GuitarEC    I think you'd be fine without.  Get it really hot and keep it coated in oil for a while and then cool down.  Repeat a few times and I would think you'd be good to go.  Cooking a couple pounds of bacon for the first cook wouldn't hurt.

Hopefully you can turn that "when" into "this week".
    Phoenix 
  • tamu2009
    @GuitarEC onions aren't required and you can substitute chives. I seasoned my wok with chives and garlic. 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    tamu2009 said:
    @GuitarEC onions aren't required and you can substitute chives. I seasoned my wok with chives and garlic. 
    The better thing to say is onions aren't the best for removing the metallic flavor.  For that, it is better to use a real pungent vegetable, like chives or green onions.  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Thatgrimguy
    Yeah, I did onions because I misread the thing that said 'GREEN" onions. So, green onions are what should have been used to start with. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • tamu2009
    cazzy said:
    tamu2009 said:
    The better thing to say is onions aren't the best for removing the metallic flavor.  For that, it is better to use a real pungent vegetable, like chives or green onions.  
    I had no idea the purpose was to remove the metallic flavor. Maybe I don't mind it because I never tasted it and cooked on it right away before I had a chance to properly season mine.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Do most of you with Blackstone's keep them covered when not in use? Also how do you clean it after bugs or flies have been on it so that it is ready for the next use?

Not trying to knock it at all, but the germ freak in me gets the willies when I think about bugs crawling around on there. 

I am slowly but surely talking myself into one. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Thatgrimguy
    Do most of you with Blackstone's keep them covered when not in use? Also how do you clean it after bugs or flies have been on it so that it is ready for the next use?

Not trying to knock it at all, but the germ freak in me gets the willies when I think about bugs crawling around on there. 

Wipe it off. By the time it's hot enough to cook on, any bacteria on it is dead.  You are cooking on a surface that is anywhere from 300 to 500 degrees.  I wipe mine down, heat it up and wipe it down with a fresh layer of oil before I cook. 
  • johnkitchens
    That is what I thought, but I just wanted to make sure. Are you cooking with vegetable oil? 

• tamu2009
    I built a cheap wood box that i put over it just to keep me from setting things on it. The girlfriend sews and and is going to sew me a cover to attach to the wood box to further keep dust and stuff off it.  But like grim, I just wipe it down before and after use. 
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345

I do eveything @Thatgrimguy said.  I also bought a $7 tarp at lowes that I use to cover it.  It keeps all the bugs off I think, but I try not to think about it.  Go ahead and take the plunge. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Thatgrimguy
    edited August 2015
    That is what I thought, but I just wanted to make sure. Are you cooking with vegetable oil? 
    I cook with vegetable oil, peanut oil, coconut oil, ghee, or spray oils depending on what I'm cooking.  I use whichever oil I plan to cook with for the seasoning/wiping.
  • blasting
    edited August 2015

Hi @johnkitchens   I'm somewhat of a germ freak as well, but most grilling is at a pretty high temp, so I figure germs are a non issue.  As far as dust or bugs goes - I made a hard top for mine that stays on it when not in use.  I give the griddle a quick wipe before I start cooking.  So far, there isn't much of a chance for it to get dirty - I've been using it twice a day since I got it.

You also asked about oil - I keep a covered squirt bottle of peanut oil at the griddle that I use pretty much exclusively.

Hardtop link, if you'd care to see it:  http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1184521/ot-blackstone-griddle-hardtop-cover-prep-area-pics#latest
    Phoenix 
  • johnkitchens
    @blasting I missed your post about the cover. That is a great idea, and what I would want. Great job!

• GuitarEC
    blasting said:
    @GuitarEC    I think you'd be fine without.  Get it really hot and keep it coated in oil for a while and then cool down.  Repeat a few times and I would think you'd be good to go.  Cooking a couple pounds of bacon for the first cook wouldn't hurt.

Hopefully you can turn that "when" into "this week".
    As much as I'd like to say so, it's not in the cards - our house is currently gutted for renovations.  We are lucky to be staying with my father right now, but storage unit fees during this process are a bit higher priority.  Lol.

Eric "GuitarEC"
    Metro Atl, Ga.
  • Thatgrimguy
    @blasting has the ultimate cover.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Took a break from the blackstone due to travel and laziness.  Love this griddle yall!

@Jeremiah  I stepped up my fry game because of you!  :tongue: 

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    @cazzy I see why you like it. You got it down. I know a old dude that does burgers with 1 egg per pound of meat for griddle cooking. Never done it. but his burgers are good. Also there's a place here in town that is rumoured to use crackers. I'm not sure if it's true but they do have the best crust ever. They've been open since the 50s.next time I go I'll take picks. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • blasting
    @cazzy   Totally agree.  I'm more pumped about this thing each time I use it (daily).  I made smashburgers tonight as well.  I tried fresh roasted Hatch peppers on it - definitely two thumbs up.
    Phoenix 
  • JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    So I just found this thread and will probably join the crowd soon.
    I was a fry cook before I enlisted in the Navy many, many years ago and have alway loved cooking on a good griddle.
    Question:
    Does this cooktop need to be cleaned with a stone? That's what we did at the end of each day to clean our grill.
    We also used a long spatular rather than the kind normally seen in the stores today.
    Any ideas on sources for the stone and spatula?
    Gotta go jump into the never ending toy pit now! =)
  • I'm soooo excited! I get mine on Thursday! I also picked up a Restaurant Depot Membership yesterday...this week is going to rock! Thanks for all the tips guys!
  • blasting
    JohnH12 said:
    So I just found this thread and will probably join the crowd soon.
    I was a fry cook before I enlisted in the Navy many, many years ago and have alway loved cooking on a good griddle.
    Question:
    Does this cooktop need to be cleaned with a stone? That's what we did at the end of each day to clean our grill.
    We also used a long spatular rather than the kind normally seen in the stores today.
    Any ideas on sources for the stone and spatula?
    Gotta go jump into the never ending toy pit now! =)
    I have a stone, and the grill pad kit.  I'm sure everyone has their preferred method, and mine isn't either on of these.  I squirt it with water while hot then I rub one of those curly stainless curly things around.  I dig my dexter grill scraper into it because it gets too hot to use my hand.  Then I wipe and oil with a paper towel.  RD is my recommendation for tools and supplies, if you have one near.  Have fun.

Phoenix 
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    wow those smash burgers look awesome - and easy!  I was afraid to open this post . . . now I want this griddle asap.  Think this thing will be easy to use outside in cold weather too?  

I am going to cash in all my credit card points for a big Home Depot gift card  B)  
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • GuitarEC
    Yea, I'm counting down the days to Christmas for mine.  Also making a list of things to cook up on it.  I told the wife that when it's here, we WILL be eating a hearty breakfast every weekend - heck may even make it a family breakfast and invite the nearby relatives over as well.

Eric "GuitarEC"
    Metro Atl., Ga.
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    cazzy said:
    Took a break from the blackstone due to travel and laziness.  Love this griddle yall!

Looks fantastic!

I have a question if you could answer I'd appreciate it. What do you put in the roller tray gadget? I got one of them and loaded it up with butter - 3 sticks and it still doesn't make it to the bottom of the roller. Do you use something else? An additive? I'm a bit ticked off at the thing at the moment.

South SLO County
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    G1.jpg 175.5K
    G2.jpg 150.1K
    G3.jpg 114.5K
    G4.jpg 166.3K
    G5.jpg 157.9K
    G6.jpg 170.1K
    G7.jpg 125.3K
    G8.jpg 131.8K
    G10.jpg 181.9K