Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hot & Spicy Salmon Experiment.

Options
SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
edited August 2015 in EggHead Forum
Salmon happens to be one of my personal favorites off of the BGE. I'm quite fond of really hot and spicy stuff as well. As such, I thought why not. I covered some of the salmon with a very healthy dose of cayenne just to see how it would turn out. I left one piece just lightly coated for the wife. This actually turned out incredible. I coated lightly with Paul Prudhommes blackening seasoning and then poured the cayenne to it. Cooked indirect at 550 degrees for 7 minutes to the second. This is on the to do again list for sure. Hope that yall enjoy my friends and may your hair continue to grow long and shaggy. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Wow - seriously great looking cook! I love salmon, but I have to say the skewers look amazing. Well done!  :)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    LOVE salmon and spice!  Thanks for sharing the experiment and great looking grub!!  Gonna try it!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • PASmoke
    PASmoke Posts: 279
    Options
    That looks fantastic! That second photo down and the skewers make my mouth water. Bravo!
    Atlanta, GA - Large BGE x 2

• SGH
    Options
    SmokingPiney said:
    I have to say the skewers look amazing.
    The wife gets credit for those. I refuse to assemble anything that doesn't have meat in it ;) Thanks for the kind words my friend. 

bgebrent said:
     Gonna try it!
    Just a friendly word of caution, it's a tad warm. Careful who you serve it to if they are heat intolerant. And thank you for the kind words my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    We use a habanero rub that a friend makes on salmon.  The 2 of us go through 3 or 4 pounds of salmon a week and this is the only way I cook it.  Salmon with a wallop is tops on the list around here.
  • walleyv
    walleyv Posts: 147
    Options
    Looks great.  Next time I pick up some salmon I'm going to try this.  
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Great cook! You never cease to amaze me. Keep it coming!!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I appreciate the caution on the heat.  Will serve to those I know love real heat and will weed out the others. :). Thank you.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Wow, that looks fantastic! Awesome cook.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Looks good. Is that white salmon?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Looks great. We had salmon last night as well.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Never figured you for Salmon. Looks fantastic and the flavor profile flair sounds like some decent heat with deep flavor. Nice work Scottie!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    Great looking  food 
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    wow that looks great!  my wife loves salmon and she likes it with a bit of kick....I may try this for her.
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Great looking salmon cook. I don't think I could handle the heat, but it looks great. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I have to admit Scottie you are starting to venture into new waters. Full Salute right there
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    You're slacking on the cayenne, homie. 
  • SGH
    Options
    You're slacking on the cayenne, homie. 
    Hey, I can't win them all ;)

Jstroke said:
    I have to admit Scottie you are starting to venture into new waters. Full Salute right there
    Actually I have probably posted more salmon than anything else. We cook it at least once a week. Thank you for the kind words my friend.

Great looking salmon cook. I don't think I could handle the heat, but it looks great. 
    Thank you brother.

msloan said:
    wow that looks great!  my wife loves salmon and she likes it with a bit of kick....I may try this for her.
    I find the cayenne to be just right. Not to hot, but a little kick. And thank you my friend.

cook861 said:
    Great looking  food 
    Thank you brother.

Never figured you for Salmon. Looks fantastic and the flavor profile flair sounds like some decent heat with deep flavor. Nice work Scottie!
    Brother Husker you are the second person to seemed surprised that I cooked salmon. With that said, if you look back I have probably posted more salmon than anything else. We cook it at least once a week. It's honestly one of my very favorites off of the egg. And as always, thank you for the kind words my friend. 

Griffin said:
    Looks great. We had salmon last night as well.
    Thank you brother.

Looks good. Is that white salmon?
    The 4 pieces that I covered with cayenne is King Salmon, the other piece is Sockeye. And thank you brother of the North. 

Wow, that looks fantastic! Awesome cook.
    Thank you brother.

Status- Standing by.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Having recently discovered salmon on the BGE, it has become amongst my personal favorites. 
    Having seen this cook you have done with spice, will send my butt back to Costco as soon as I get back from the road!
    This. Is. Awesome! Thank you for sharing.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Pic Heavy ?!?!?!
    New Albany, Ohio 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Two thumbs up! Looking forward to trying some blackened fish myself - how is without the extra cayenne?
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • SGH
    Options
    blind99 said:
     how is without the extra cayenne?
    Brother it was fantastic. This will be my go to method in the future. Just a word of caution, if you are heat sensitive you may want to throttle back on the cayenne a tad. It's fairly warm. And thanks for the kind words. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Having recently discovered salmon on the BGE, it has become amongst my personal favorites. 
    Having seen this cook you have done with spice, will send my butt back to Costco as soon as I get back from the road!
    This. Is. Awesome! Thank you for sharing.
    My pleasure brother. Salmon off the egg is one of my favorites as well. I hope that you enjoy them. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options

Pic Heavy ?!?!?!
    My bad. It's pic heavy yall. 

blind99 said:
    Two thumbs up! Looking forward to trying some blackened fish myself -
    Blackened redfish is incredible. Look up Chef Don Prudhommes method. It's simple and about as good as it gets. 

Status- Standing by.