Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled crappie

Options
So, I haven't gotten around to smoking crappie yet, so I just grilled them last night...marinated in lemon, dill, garlic, salt and pepper....used the left over marinade and added paprika for basting. Cooked at 275 for about 15 - 20 mins. I forgot to take the after shot, so this pic is 5 mins in.

They were quite delicious!

LBGE in Northern VA

Comments

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Definitely a good eating fish and they're excellent grilled.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Nice!!  I'd eat all of those!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks excellent brother. I haven't tried them grilled myself, the glutton in me forces me to deep fry them every time. Going to try them grilled the next time I have some. Again, great cook.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Crahpy... Not crapy. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • sheetmetalpete
    Options
    Looks good.  Makes me think I need to get out fishing.
    Glencoe, Minnesota
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Great job... Looks good
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • walleyv
    walleyv Posts: 147
    Options
    We call them white perch and yes they are some fine eating.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    walleyv said:
    We call them white perch and yes they are some fine eating.
    We call them white perch as well. I thought crappie/crappy was something you did on the toilet ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    Options
    In NJ White Perch and Crappie are two different fish .In the 50's I had a great crappie lake behind our house .That fish is more like a cross between a bass and a bluegill .In the 60's I was introduced to White Perch at a reservoir not far from where I was living then .That fish pound for pound was one of the hardest fighting fish I have ever caught , kind of like a yellow perch crossed with a Walleye .  One of the best fish dinners I ever had as a kid was the bucket of large Bluegills my buddy and I caught that were cooked by his Mom who was from somewhere down south .She made them in some kind of batter that was out of this world and I never liked fish .Great crappie fishing at the lake I live at now ,good through the Ice.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Pan fish rocks! Best eatin' there is period. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Either way they're called... They're awesome. I'm jealous. Nothing like fresh caught fish. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    @SGH, crap is stuff YOU stuff before egging and eating! ;). Good crap!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga