Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shipping laughs ...

Options
Stopped off at a Kamado Joe road show in Tacoma, Washington, a little bit ago.  This is what I noticed on the pallet.  Looks like buying right off the pallet doesn't always yield damage free bags.  

Also noticed this ... read the sign taped to the triple stacked eggs.  Well, the forklift guy didn't double stack them ... damn fool triple stacked them.

Feel kind of sorry for guys who have to ship their product to us.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Feel kind of sorry for guys who have to ship their product to us.
    Shipping sucks. Plain and simple. From the high cost to the piss poor way that they handle things. Just my thoughts my friends. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Our(your) BGE  distributor only ships on their own fleet for precisely this reason. If not, the damage is through the roof. 
  • FunkytownEgger
    Options
    I was trying to talk my dad into a BGE, but he ended up getting a sweet deal at Costco on the Kamado Joe's.  He bought the floor model of the KJ Big Joe 24" for $1200 and got the floor model KJ Joe Jr free.  Not to mention the Big Joe comes with their adjustable grate system.  Seems like a heck of a deal.  I wish BGE came with an adjustable grate system.

The KJ rep did show me a pic of several big joes that were damaged in the shipping truck, so I agree the shipping sucks!  (I also bought a tv stand from Costco this weekend and had to return it because it was damage...)

I did pick up a twin pack of the KJ charcoal, 44 lbs for $29.99.  They were in red bags instead of those brown ones.  Not sure how good the charcoal is, worth a try at that price.
  • chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Options
    I was trying to talk my dad into a BGE, but he ended up getting a sweet deal at Costco on the Kamado Joe's.  He bought the floor model of the KJ Big Joe 24" for $1200 and got the floor model KJ Joe Jr free.  Not to mention the Big Joe comes with their adjustable grate system.  Seems like a heck of a deal.  I wish BGE came with an adjustable grate system.

The KJ rep did show me a pic of several big joes that were damaged in the shipping truck, so I agree the shipping sucks!  (I also bought a tv stand from Costco this weekend and had to return it because it was damage...)

I did pick up a twin pack of the KJ charcoal, 44 lbs for $29.99.  They were in red bags instead of those brown ones.  Not sure how good the charcoal is, worth a try at that price.
    Their charcoal is very good...large pieces and a neutral flavor.  I picked up 6 bags when they were here at the road show a couple weeks ago.
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options

The red bag is some of the best lump I have ever used.
    Well worth the price unless it has changed recently.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

It hasn't changed.  The company told me they are doing a bag redesign.  Brown or red bag...same stuff.
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    chrisc133 said:
    Photo Egg said:

It hasn't changed.  The company told me they are doing a bag redesign.  Brown or red bag...same stuff.
    Good to know. They did have 2 different colored bags in the past and they were not the same lump.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,108
    Options
    Orange bag was different.  Red bag is good stuff.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • RollTideRob
    RollTideRob Posts: 139
    edited August 2015
    Options

It's amazing how cheap you can buy things that are made in china.
    Large, Medium

Heflin, AL
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options

Eggers are paying a lot of money for ceramic made in Mexico.....
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    WeberWho? said:

By a multinational company headquartered in the US. 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Maybe the Primo's would be worth a try. I understand their made in the USA.
  • WeberWho
    Options
    WeberWho? said:

By a multinational company headquartered in the US. 
    Primo is the only 100% U.S made ceramic grill
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @WeberWho? Don't disagree, but the ceramics are made in Mexico by the largest ceramic manufacturer in the world that is a subsidiary of the largest flooring manufacturer in the world. All headquartered in the US. 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I honestly would be interested in getting a Primo to complement my two large BGE's. What really deterred me was the dome weight. It seemed a lot heavier to lift compared to the BGE.
    I don't know if the perceived weight difference is due to actual weight or hinge design.  
  • WeberWho
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @WeberWho? Don't disagree, but the ceramics are made in Mexico by the largest ceramic manufacturer in the world that is a subsidiary of the largest flooring manufacturer in the world. All headquartered in the US. 
    Right. Similar to Chevy, Dodge, Ford, etc. Headquartered in US but partially made in Mexico 

Minnesota
  • RollTideRob
    Options
    WeberWho? said:

At least Mexico doesn't own us. china does. Give me an opportunity to buy something that's made anywhere but china and I'll take it.
    Large, Medium

Heflin, AL