Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spare Me The Trouble (the Sous Vide / Egged Spare Ribs)

Options
There was a thread here last week that was talking about how some folks tend to just tune out discussions here as soon as sous vide is brought up.  I had mentioned that I had done some spares using a combination of SV and the Egg, and a few folks had expressed interest in the details.  I hope this thread at least makes you think some more about getting an SV, because from my standpoint, after only having had one of these for about a month, I can't believe I waited as long as I did.  It's really another fantastic tool to have at your disposal.

For background, much of the credit for this recipe/approach goes to @nolaegghead and @travisstrick.  Those guys have both done variations on this cook recently, and their comments on the results are what spurred me to give them a shot. 

I used St. Louis cut spares from Costco.   I just did two racks.  The membrane was removed and I applied a mustard moisturizer (probably unnecessary for this approach):

I seasoned one with an ABQ Red Chile rub and the other with a homemade pepper rub:

Then they're vacuum packed using my FoodSaver:

I put both into the water bath with the Anova set just above 147F:

Those of you who have an Anova will know that my water bath wasn't quite up to temp when I dropped the two racks in.  That's OK.  I knew I was going to have them in there for 24hrs and that the time it took the bath to come the rest of the way up wouldn't matter too much in the big scheme of things.  

I kept them in there overnight for a total of 24 hrs, adding hot water as necessary to maintain the bath level.  I do cover the bath to cut down on water loss due to evaporation as well.  Here are the ribs coming out of the bath after that period:

You can see there's quite a bit of moisture in the bag.  That's not water that got in, but just juice from the meat itself.  I then put both racks in the fridge for about 3 hrs to cool.  Then they went right on to the Egg.  I went indirect, at a dome temp of 350, using apple wood for smoke.  After half an hour I sauced them up:

I kept them on for another half hour or so to let the sauce firm up.  Then I sliced them and drizzled in some more sauce:

And here they all are, plated out for our guests:

You do not get as much of a smoke ring with this approach, but there is plenty of smoke flavor.  Starting cold on the Egg for an hour is really enough.  You can see that they're fall off the bone, and pretty much all of the fat has been rendered out.  

These are really, really good.  Honestly they are a bit too tender for me - I'd like a little more pull.  But the flavor and bite is fantastic.  I've done these only twice, but my sense is that I can refine this basic approach over time to get things perfect.  And that's the beauty of the SV - you have a lot of control.  Thanks for reading!

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I really need to got a vacuum sealer. I've been limited by what can git in a gallon ziploc. Are you going to do 12 next time, or more incrementally?
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,950
    Options
    I really need to got a vacuum sealer. I've been limited by what can git in a gallon ziploc. Are you going to do 12 next time, or more incrementally?
    Probably 18.  The vacuum sealer has been a life changer for us.  
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Impressive! A bit too much work and time investment for me (I like sitting by my egg cold beer in hand enjoying the cook), but they look awesome.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Nice thread title word play. I've been eyeing this exact Anova but, haven't pulled the trigger yet (only because I have a few other items I'm focused on first). Good to see ya egging again John. I'd say you nailed it my friend. :clap: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    Impressive! A bit too much work and time investment for me (I like sitting by my egg cold beer in hand enjoying the cook), but they look awesome.
    I totally get the time aspect - you need to do things ahead of time for this approach.  However, there is nothing that says the ribs have to go on the same day they come out of the SV.  I think they can probably keep for awhile just fine sitting in your fridge in the vacuum packs.  Then it's just an hour on the Egg.  I think the work is actually debatable compared to some other approaches to spares on the Egg, but I see your point.  

The beer! I almost forgot to post the beer I had with these bad boys!

• CDPlaya
    CDPlaya Posts: 81
    Options
    5 Star performance , Bravo !  Someone please invent taste o vision...
    "One Job at a Time, One Day at a Time" 
    " Stop and smell the Roses " Life is too Short
  • TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    Options
    Looks great. Seems like a good method when you have more time to prep ahead than you do to cook the day you want to serve.
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    What's the reasoning for putting them in the refrigerator before going on the egg?

And damn these sous vide threads. I almost pulled the trigger on an anova Saturday before deciding to buy that used stoker. Now I have to wait another month for more cooking/play money! Grrrr
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    What's the reasoning for putting them in the refrigerator before going on the egg?

And damn these sous vide threads. I almost pulled the trigger on an anova Saturday before deciding to buy that used stoker. Now I have to wait another month for more cooking/play money! Grrrr
    It allows more time for them to pick up smoke.  If you put them on right off the SV, they're already at 147F, and they won't  absorb as much.   
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Very nice write-up . . . I gotta try this out!  
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    Thanks for sharing John. Bookmarked.
    canuckland
  • tz666
    tz666 Posts: 404
    Options
    Looks great, I sous vide then egg also. I have wondered what is the consensus on time between water bath and egg? Could I sv Tri tips on weekend for 18 hours then refrigerate and egg for seat on say Wednesday? Is there a such thing is too much time in between?

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Great post, great pics, great beer; hat trick!!!

You're the man @JohnInCarolina, really appreciate the follow up here. Definitely going to give this a shot.

Is there any reason you couldn't freeze after the SV and just have these ready for quick deployment? A few hours thaw has got to be quicker than 24 hour SV...

Thanks again man -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

Is there any reason you couldn't freeze after the SV and just have these ready for quick deployment? A few hours thaw has got to be quicker than 24 hour SV...

That's a really good question.  I think what you mean here is, some weekend when you have lots of free time, you might do the first few steps of this process, including the one-day (or however much time you need) SV.  Then you throw a bunch of racks, still in the foodsaver bags, in the freezer.  

Then on cook day, you would start in the morning with a defrost, followed by a smoke step?

I don't see why not.  In fact, I think you could probably just throw them right on the Egg frozen.  I think I've seen a few people suggest doing that.   I'm sure there are many variations on this that could work well.  
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    I did an 18 hour flank S.V. that was sealed with marinade . . . after cook I kept it in bag, and tossed in a cooler of ice water for few hours before sear.  It did not freeze, but got very cold & seared fine.  My guess is to avoid 100% freeze . . probably would mess with texture.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Nice job John.

@tz666 you can go directly to the egg.  If you want more smoke an you're in a hurry, throw the bad in some ice water.
    Options
    @Black_Badger I was just about to write that very same question.  SV to freezer then quick egg some weeknight or when you have unexpected guests. I wonder if you would want to repackage the ribs sans fatty juices or just freeze as is.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Fantastic step by step and photos...
    Did you pat the ribs dry before tossing on the Egg? Add any fresh seasoning before going back on the Egg?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Very nice cook, @JohnInCarolina.  Thank you for posting this.  I think the combination of the Egg and SV can work quite nicely.  For those who may be new to SV I would add that 147F is a bit of a sweet spot for these cooks.  I used this on a brisket cook I posted this past winter (near Super Bowl time as I recall).  At 147F the fat will render somewhat, although you still should trim more than usual.  Anything above 150 will likely result in too much moisture loss--again, this rule of thumb is for extended cooks.  Also, the one thing I can personally add is that as a rule I am no longer seasoning meats with salt prior to SV-based cooks.  Again, too much moisture loss is the concern. (Even though it is in a vacuum sealed bag, you will see moisture pool up outside the meat.)
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Fantastic step by step and photos...
    Did you pat the ribs dry before tossing on the Egg? Add any fresh seasoning before going back on the Egg?
    Thanks Darian.  I didn't pat them dry.  They come out of the fridge a little wet, but really not too much.  

I didn't apply any extra rub either, mostly because I just didn't think of it.  However, there was a lot of flavor on these.  I think once you have the rub on and they get vacuum sealed, all of that rub has plenty of time to diffuse into the pork.  
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Look great. More than one way to score a TD
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    mahenryak said:
    Very nice cook, @JohnInCarolina.  Thank you for posting this.  I think the combination of the Egg and SV can work quite nicely.  For those who may be new to SV I would add that 147F is a bit of a sweet spot for these cooks.  I used this on a brisket cook I posted this past winter (near Super Bowl time as I recall).  At 147F the fat will render somewhat, although you still should trim more than usual.  Anything above 150 will likely result in too much moisture loss--again, this rule of thumb is for extended cooks.  Also, the one thing I can personally add is that as a rule I am no longer seasoning meats with salt prior to SV-based cooks.  Again, too much moisture loss is the concern. (Even though it is in a vacuum sealed bag, you will see moisture pool up outside the meat.)
    Thanks a lot for the comments.  @nolaegghead is the guru on this sort of thing, and the 147 is the temp he suggested.  So I can't take credit for anything other than knowing good sources!

Interesting comment on the salt.  I had a bit of salt in both of these rubs, and may try going without next time.  
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    JohnInCarolina said:
      @nolaegghead is the guru 
    And a hippy to boot ;) Awesome looking ribs and great write up brother.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Thanks a lot for the comments.  @nolaegghead is the guru on this sort of thing, and the 147 is the temp he suggested.  So I can't take credit for anything other than knowing good sources!

Interesting comment on the salt.  I had a bit of salt in both of these rubs, and may try going without next time.  
    You're welcome.  FWIW I have found the following resource quite helpful. 

http://www.amazon.com/Modernist-Cooking-Made-Easy-Authoritative-ebook/dp/B00PJ2OWN0

LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    mahenryak said:

You're welcome.  FWIW I have found the following resource quite helpful. 

http://www.amazon.com/Modernist-Cooking-Made-Easy-Authoritative-ebook/dp/B00PJ2OWN0

Thanks.  Second time I saw that book suggested - I went ahead and ordered it!  
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options

Thanks J in C, nice cook.

Yes SV needs more planning but results are outstanding.

I do beef ribs this way and they turn out so good.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• hoofaloos
    hoofaloos Posts: 242
    Options
    Looks awesome.  I've never gone SV to indirect smoke before but will definitely try it now.  

Wait until you do short ribs SV for 72 hours at 132.  Sear em on the egg and they come out falling apart and medium rare all at the same time 
    XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina yep, that's exactly what i was thinking. SV a bunch of ribs up and have them ready for quick deployment. I actually like the idea of going straight from freezer to grill even better. Going to have to give this a shot.

Cheers, and thanks agian for a great post/idea.

B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • JohnInCarolina
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Good to see ya egging again John. I'd say you nailed it my friend. :clap: 
    Oh I Egg all the time Blake - I just don't post all the time.  I'm just not one of those guys who likes to walk around with his zipper down, you know?  
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina thanks for the follow up...going to try these...

@aviator I've been looking for a good technique for beef ribs...care to share a bit more?  Time / temp?
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...