Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

All this talk about hot dogs...

All that talk about hot dogs last week really made me want some. I don't know the last time I grilled some hot dogs. Had to break out the Mini and give it some much needed love. . There's almost a little bit of a gasket left there, lol.

Almost done. As I was grilling them, I got to wondering, do you grill your hot dogs with the grates or against them? If you go with the grates, they don't roll around and you can get all sides nice and charred. Musta been a moment of deep contemplation mid-consumption of alcoholic beverages.

And of course, what is a dog without some chili, cheese and tots? Served up on our best China, of course.

And the obligatory shot of the little guy. Coolin' off in his splash pad. (and before any of you get your panties in a knot, that picture was not taken while I was grillin', but under constant supervision by two adults with out beverages for all the whiney, I'm better at raising kids than you internet trolling types in the over PC world that we live in)

So for all the people who had hot dog threads last week, thanks for reminding me how good a simple hot dog can be. Not sure why I don't make them more.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Looks great!
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • I'll take two please!

When I do dogs, I like to make vertical slices across the weiners; allows the insides to brown up a bit and condiments to get down in the dawg.

Happy (and good looking) young lad there!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Dogs n tots.  It doesn't get much better than that.  Awesome pic of the lil' man.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Nice hot dogs you got there...   :D  Duke is getting big!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I'll take two please!

When I do dogs, I like to make vertical slices across the weiners; allows the insides to brown up a bit and condiments to get down in the dawg.

Happy (and good looking) young lad there!

I sometimes do spiral slices but didn't have the time or the energy. I'm lazy.

Rowlett, Texas

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    I've seen your blog.  I wish i could make make lazy look so good 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Griffin
    johnnyp said:
    I've seen your blog.  I wish i could make make lazy look so good 

Thank you, Sir. If you've seen it, you know its not very active any more, and I apologize for that. It's taken a back seat to the kiddo. I need to get something up on there soon, but I just can't get motivated. :(

Rowlett, Texas

• rmercier
    rmercier Posts: 212
    edited August 2015
    Those look good. When I grill dogs I like to cut a spiral into them...kinda hard to explain...take your dog, hold a knife at about 45 degrees to you (with the dog parallel to you) slightly cut into the dog at one end and then move the dog while rotating, kinda giving the barber shop pole design. When you cook the dog, it will expand, exposing this effect. For one, it looks cool... another, I feel it helps to hold any condiments.

As a side not, my wife likes to cut the ends in a cross so that they curl when cooked...kinda looks like calamari.
    LBGE in Northern VA
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Simple pleasures. Full salute
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Griffin
    You mean like this @rmercier ? I like to use a wooden skewer to make sure I don't cut through it all the way.

Rowlett, Texas

• Griffin said:
    You mean like this @rmercier ? I like to use a wooden skewer to make sure I don't cut through it all the way.
    The wooden skewer idea is genius; in its purest form!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I believe in the KISS theorem in life and cooking. A simple cook is pleasurable & delicious. Nice work Griffin! 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    @ Griffin, great looking dogs, and a mighty fine looking assistant chef of tomorrow there!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • rmercier
    rmercier Posts: 212
    edited August 2015
    Yes Griffin, that's it! But you cut way deeper than I do. Ha, I just noticed you mentioned the spiral thing before I did....duh!
    LBGE in Northern VA
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,716
    Great looking dogs!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited August 2015
    @GriffinSimple hotdogs are one of my very favorites. I can eat them a pack at a time. Throw in the tater tots and that's a true fat boys delight!!  Great looking grub brother. That a fine looking little helper that you posted a pic of as well. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.