Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled pork question?

Options
Deetwood
Deetwood Posts: 70
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
If I have 16 people coming to a gathering how much pulled pork do I need?

Comments

• Porkchop
    Porkchop Posts: 155
    Options
    Deetwood,
    4 butts (about 8# per, raw), freeze any leftovers you might be lucky enough to stash![p]should be room on a LBGE...

• Dos Huevos
    Dos Huevos Posts: 368
    Options
    Deetwood,[p]I was just about to post the same question for 30 folks: 8 men, 8 women, 14 kids.[p]You'd think I'd remember this by now, but alas I do not.[p]Thanks everyone for their help.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Deetwood,
    We figure a pound of raw butt per person. That usually leaves a hair left over for us to freeze, unless you allow people to stand near the meat platter in which case they nibble indefinitely. I have no idea how to figure a child's portion; not being a parent this has always mystified me.

• Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Options
    Porkchop,
    That would yield close to 16lbs cooked pork, a little much for a group that size. If you figure 1/3 lb per person, you would need two six lb butts. That would give you about 6lbs of cooked meat. I would say do 2 8lb butts for extra and the bigger eaters, unless you really want that much leftover.

Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • BabyBoomBBQ
    BabyBoomBBQ Posts: 703
    Options
    Deetwood,[p]The Naked Whiz suggests you get 2.4 four oz servings per pound of uncooked butt. I've found this to be a good guide.
    [ul][li]Details here[/ul]
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    kk,
    For the 3-7 crowd about two nibbles is all you can get most to eat of meat. Mac and cheese about a pound or so LOL.

• Porkchop
    Options
    Squeeze,
    yep, 1# per person. that's what i shoot for when i entertain; bout 2-3 sammiches per person. women and kids eat less, so maybe some leftovers.[p]generally, when i do pull, folks tend to eat more than they normally would...

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Squeeze,[p]I would have thought so too, if I hadn't seen 8 people consume an entire 8 lb butt this past Sunday for a dinner I hosted...![p]Tonia
    :~)

• Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Options
    QBabe,
    Wow, somebody had their feed bag on? Were they eating it as sandwiches or straight pork, cause you know that bread sure does fill you up.[p]-Kevin

Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • Porkchop
    Options
    Squeeze,
    i think i put up about 3# of pork after that party. had about 16 guests, men, women, and kids. it's funny watching those petite ladies sneaking off for a 2nd sammich :o) i did, for that party, 4 big butts. out of the fellas, i'm the biggest at 300# or so :o) couple of them were my size, tho, and pretty big eaters.[p]i guess my philosophy is to always have more than i need, rather than run out. having folks in my living room rubbing their bellies and moaning that they ate too much is better than the dirty looks i would get if i ran out! :o)[p]so, i stick by my 1# per person. hasn't failed me yet. when i used to do catering (for another Q joint) they always said 1/2# + 2 sides per person. but those customers would rather run out than pay more. funny, they always thot they were ordering way too much at 1/2# per, but never brought home leftover brisket... folks always eat more when its FREE!

• Porkchop
    Options
    replied to the wrong post, sorry. when posting to the original question, i had a particular party that i had recently hosted in mind.