Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Back Ribs and Pork Chops

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
So I've been gone a lot and haven't had much time to cook. Finally home this weekend and changed that.

I was in Texas this week and picked up some Rudy's Rub and wanted to try it on ribs. I already had chops thawing for tonight and adding ribs to the menu meant way too much protein for us, so I invited the neighbors this morning. Headed to Wal Mart and they were out of pork ribs. No spares, no baby back. So I picked up some beef back ribs.

On the XL with oak for smoke.

After about 3.5 hours I put them in the pan with Worcestershire sauce/red wine vinegar/white onions and honey drizzled on the ribs. Covered tightly with foil and back on.

After just over and hour I got them out of the pan and back on.

The contents of the pan smelled way too good to discard, so in a pan and on the stove to simmer. Just before eating I strained it and served it as an aus jus.

I brined the chops first in Mad Hunky Pork Brine (http://madhunkymeats.com/product/pork-brine-1-gallon/)

About an hour before dinner I added them to the XL for a reverse sear.

Got the small fired up for grilling duty and grilled some zucchini.

When the zucchini came off I pulled the woo and opened it up. Glazed the chops with some Thai Sweet Chili sauce and then seared them.

And here they are finished.

And the beef ribs.

Oh, I also made some macaroni salad mostly based on The Pioneer Woman recipe (http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2012/06/the-best-macaroni-salad-ever/)

This was my first time making macaroni salad, and I have to say it was really good. I cut way back on the sugar and went with white onion instead of green. I also added a decent bit of cayenne as well. I wanted the salad to have a good bit of bite instead of sickly sweet, and it sure did hit the spot.

Hope everyone had a great weekend, and here's to another week of travel and meetings...

They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Well done, sir!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    If you're still looking to move, there are some houses available in my hood. I'll be your neighbor. :hug: 
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Look at the pull back on those beef ribs!!! That's amazing!

Great looking stuff here man. Glad to see you back around and thanks for sharing this.

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Brother D, your cooks never cease to amaze me and this one is no exception. That's some fine looking grub by any standard or measure. A feast fit for a king. Allow me sir:

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Well done Dwayne. 
    Options
    Damn, nailed it!  Great improvisation!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Looks great man. Way to audible and score a touchdown anyway. Nicely done.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Nicely done.

Beef ribs at HEB always look sad,  so maybe I'll take a peek at wally world. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    Oh my. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

Those beef ribs look amazing. Great cook Mr. D

What part of Texas did you pickup the Rudy's Rub?

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    wooo, nice cooking !
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    I need to give beef ribs another try, following your method here - those look great.
  • ncaito
    ncaito Posts: 30
    Options
    Great looking beef ribs, sir. I am also a big fan of Rudy's on all things beef love using that on my ribs and brisket.

Brandy Station, VA Egghead

• drewmack
    drewmack Posts: 53
    Options
    How much worcershire and red wine vinegar did you use?
  • DMW
    Options
    drewmack said:
    How much worcershire and red wine vinegar did you use?
    @drewmack - Sorry for the delayed response, was traveling for work and been busy. I didn't measure, just dumped in some of both to provide liquid for a moist braise. You could use just about anything, red wine, beer, etc.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    Options
    DMW said:
    Sorry for the delayed response, was traveling for work and been busy. 
    This is not a acceptable excuse ;) You know I'm only kidding brother D. Again, great looking grub above.  

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    Options
    SGH said:
    DMW said:
    Sorry for the delayed response, was traveling for work and been busy. 
    This is not a acceptable excuse ;) You know I'm only kidding brother D. Again, great looking grub above.  
    I know it really isn't, but what really gets me is I haven't been able to cook all week.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• SGH
    Options
    DMW said:
    but what really gets me is I haven't been able to cook all week.
    Brother sometimes life and work just gets in the way. Ain't nothing a working man can do about except roll with it. It's sad but it's so brother D.

Status- Standing by.