Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken skin sticking on the grill.

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cooked at 280-300 degrees three chickens butterflied from the back with the breast bone removed on two racks. The chicken had been painted with olive oil and lemon juice and cooked skin side up for a little over an hour (265 degrees internal at the thigh) and then turned them skin side down to finish up with what I thought would be a crisp skin.[p]At 175 degrees internal at the thighs and 300 doom temperature I removed the chickens and over half of the skins stuck to the grill. The chickens were left butt ugly and the good flavor of the crisp skin left behind. I had to serve this mess to four guest and even though they bragged about the good flavor, no one mentioned how ugly the chicken was and I acted like the chicken was designed to look that way.:-) But, I know they must have thought I didn't know how to cook on the ceramic cooker - and they were right.[p]What did I do wrong? What can I do to keep the skin crisp and intact?[p]N.W.

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    07_23_0017_46_03.jpg
    <p />N.W., don't know if you did anything wrong, but the few times that I have done butterflied chicken, I have done it indirect at about 300-350 degrees without actually turing the bird- the link is to several posts from the past - hope it helps. Just remember, the only failure is the one that we fail to learn from - :~}

[ul][li]Butterfly Chicken[/ul]
  • Huck
    Huck Posts: 110
    Options
    N.W.,
    I've sprayed my grill with PAM with some amount of success. On many cooks, I use a teflon or stainless v rack that really helps. I only wish that I could've afforded stainles racks for my smoker (I won't say what brand I have because I understand the sensitivities of the hosting company and I respect that sensitivity AND their product)

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    N.W.,[p]A light coating of peanut oil on the grill will help. It adds no flavor to the food and will still be there long after other oils have burned from the temp.[p]Spin