Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My turn at nom nom

Options

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    Way to bring home the bacon Carl!!!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    pab said:
    Hey @Cazzy - is the Aaron Franklin knife the victorinox slicer? I have hand cut several bellies with a chefs knife and it was passable at best. Yours looks as good as if it was done with a meat slicer!  I need a knife like that!

No...but I do have the Victorinox slicer and I like the Dexter knife better.  

Here is the link...best cheap knife you can buy:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004NG98RI/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1439739105&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX200_QL40&keywords=dexter+sani+safe+scalloped&dpPl=1&dpID=11Lwm1IGt4L&ref=plSrch
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    Options

Chubbs said:
    Were the bellies frozen when you bought them?
    Nope...they were fresh.  I bought them at Costco.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    :clap:   Nice work bro!!
  • cazzy
    Options
    SGH said:
    Fine looking bacon for sure. However the inside of that Vault is a little to clean. Go ahead and dirty it up and get it over with ;)
    SGH, I was thinking...I could probably keep the temp down more by cycling in cold water.  I was rolling at around 125 with just managing the fire size.  Didn't think about adding water till my daughter was drooled on my face while we were playing.  LOL
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Awesome. I really need to step up my slicing skills. My sliced bacon never looks like that. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Man, that looks great.  I've got a Costco belly in the freezer, need to buy more I think.
  • Eggingaround
    Options
    Nice job! Always wanted to give bacon a go. Saw some bellies at Costco the other day and now seeing this I'm going all in.
    Mckinney, TX
    LBGE--AR with Rig extender 
    Mini Max
  • cazzy
    Options
    It's like bacon on steroids!  Lil bacon steaks!

• Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335
    Options
    I''m so jealous right now.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Fantastic.  Great looking cuts.  Last time I did bacon I had pretty marginal makings.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Nice Job . . . so would you call that hot smoke? as everyone else mentioned, your hand cut is impressive.  I am planning another batch of homemade bacon once the weather cools down in fall . . I got cold smoke with the AMS unit in my BGE 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • cazzy
    Options
    NDG said:
    Nice Job . . . so would you call that hot smoke? as everyone else mentioned, your hand cut is impressive.  I am planning another batch of homemade bacon once the weather cools down in fall . . I got cold smoke with the AMS unit in my BGE 
    Yeah...definitely wouldn't be cold smoked.  The smoke flavor is acceptable and it definitely is the best Bacon I've eaten.  I have some ideas to keep the temp down next time.  
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    cazzy said:
    NDG said:
    Yeah...definitely wouldn't be cold smoked.  The smoke flavor is acceptable and it definitely is the best Bacon I've eaten.  I have some ideas to keep the temp down next time.  
    I have used a very small fire in a coffee can in the bottom of the Egg. Seems to work pretty well. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I thought the sliced picture looked impressive until I saw the bacon cooked up.  Probably made your daughter drool even more :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • NDG
    Options
    what did Costco charge you per lb ?
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited August 2015
    Options
    cazzy said:
    SGH, I was thinking...I could probably keep the temp down more by cycling in cold water.  I was rolling at around 125 with just managing the fire size.  Didn't think about adding water till my daughter was drooled on my face while we were playing.  LOL
    Absolutely, filling the water pan will definitely help keep the temps down. You can freeze some 2 liter coke bottles or gallon milk jugs and add the frozen blocks to the water in the water pan as well. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    I just finished up a Costco belly.  I'm heading back for more, way better than the Mexican market I've been getting from in the past.
  • cazzy
    Options
    NDG said:
    what did Costco charge you per lb ?
    I think it was $2.09#
  • cazzy
    Options

SGH said:
    cazzy said:
    Absolutely, filling the water pan will definitely help keep the temps down. You can freeze some 2 liter coke bottles or gallon milk jugs and add the frozen blocks to the water in the water pan as well. 
    Niiice!  Good tip Scottie!
  • cazzy
    Options

caliking said:
    I thought the sliced picture looked impressive until I saw the bacon cooked up.  Probably made your daughter drool even more :)
    Yeah man...love the carmelized edges.  The bacon flavor is just so much more pronounced in this homemade stuff.  We had breakfast for dinner last night and I baked some this time.  Dynamite anyway it is cooked!

• NDG
    Options
    wow $2.09 is very good price . . paid about that at my asian grocery, but the quality was off.  Your pic shows great ratio of fat/meat.  
    Columbus, OH

• AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Options
    Cazzy, first of all, nice bacon, nice knife skills, looks great! Second, I am looking for a new knife, so thank you for posting the link for the one you use, I do have a question though, I was looking for one that was not serrated, I found the one I was going to purchase and it is not. Your thoughts on serrated vs non for slicing? This is the knife that I was going to buy. I am also doing some bacon again in the next few weeks, 3 bellies, my slicer really sucks for bacon so I may try to hand slice it this time.

http://www.victorinox.com/ca/product/Cutlery/Category/Cutlery-Collections/Fibrox-Professional-Series/12-Fibrox-Granton-Edge-Slicing-Carving-Knife/47645
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • cazzy
    Options
    NDG said:
    wow $2.09 is very good price . . paid about that at my asian grocery, but the quality was off.  Your pic shows great ratio of fat/meat.  
    Yeah...that is the big difference too vs what I normally get.  This stuff is very meaty.  

I think I'm going to go pick up more bellies.  I already gave away 5 packs and we've been through 2.5 already.  I feel like some of the charcoal hoarders...my supply is dwindling and it just doesn't feel right.  LOL
  • NDG
    Options
    @cazzy yes cooling rack oven bacon!   That is our go to method - key for me was to put it in cold - worked great for the homemade bacon b/c slow render 
    Columbus, OH

• cazzy
    Options
    Cazzy, first of all, nice bacon, nice knife skills, looks great! Second, I am looking for a new knife, so thank you for posting the link for the one you use, I do have a question though, I was looking for one that was not serrated, I found the one I was going to purchase and it is not. Your thoughts on serrated vs non for slicing? This is the knife that I was going to buy. I am also doing some bacon again in the next few weeks, 3 bellies, my slicer really sucks for bacon so I may try to hand slice it this time.

http://www.victorinox.com/ca/product/Cutlery/Category/Cutlery-Collections/Fibrox-Professional-Series/12-Fibrox-Granton-Edge-Slicing-Carving-Knife/47645
    Thanks man!

It really depends on what you're going to use it for.  I haven't touched the one you posted since I bought the Dexter I linked.  I like serrated for BBQ, especially meats with bark.  Serrated carves through bark, where as non-serrated can push it.  Even brand new or after sharpening, cutting through brisket required much more effort and never produced the quality slices I get with my Dexter. I also have never had to sharpen my Dexter in 2 years.  I do always wash it and put it in my knife case.

Lots of people love the Victorinox, so maybe it is just me.  Several peeps will expect me to say this...buy them both!
  • cazzy
    Options
    NDG said:
    @cazzy yes cooling rack oven bacon!   That is our go to method - key for me was to put it in cold - worked great for the homemade bacon b/c slow render 
    It has been my go to technique for sometime.  I will try to put it in cold next time though!
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Options
    Thanks Cazzy, and yes, Ill probably have to try them both...
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • NDG
    Options
    Cool, to clarify . . . I mean put the bacon in a cold oven, then set heat for 400 or whatever.
    Columbus, OH

• cazzy
    Options
    NDG said:
    Cool, to clarify . . . I mean put the bacon in a cold oven, then set heat for 400 or whatever.
    Yeah, I understood what you meant.  :tongue: