Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

POP goes the Egg!

Options
Hey guys. I have a question. I got her lit up, the fire starter cube was going well, I decided to close it and run to the kitchen to finish prepping the surf and turf, photos soon. I came back down to the patio and dome temp was cruising along. I burped her, looked good, opened up fully and Bam! I heard this Pop! Like the little firecrackers I used to play with then within a second, my entire flame was out and I was literally smoked out! 
What was that? I had added some Royal Oak lump, was using a single fire starter cube. After the smoke subsided, I added another cube and heard another pop, not as loud and only half the flame went out. Eventually she got to temp and I made the scrumptious trout and steak. 
Help?! 
Oh. Photos. 

Comments

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Check the egg for cracks and buy better lump, looks like you can afford it 
    Jacksonville FL
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Don't use firestarter cubes?? (see the other active thread on why do people use firestarters.  (implied is: Don't!!!)  Even though "looks like you can afford it" (pet peave: how the heck would anyone else know), the cubes are a LOT more expensive than a little bacon grease-soaked paper towels or [my preferred method] a $14 weber chimney and 2 pieces of newspaper - no shortage there as we get all of those flyers and adverts in the mail almost daily.  
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Only time I have heard of "pops" was firebox cracking. Although, the fire going out and smoke??? Sounds like moisture in the lump maybe?? New one on me. I have experienced sparking, but not loud pops personally. How/ where do you store your coal? What is the weather like? Rain, humid?
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    You have a nice set up!  The popping noises was likely moisture in the lump. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    I'm also in Minnesota and RO is one of the only brands available for a decent price (just picked up 60 8.8 lb bags for $4.99/ bag, what would some of the other brands cost). I do have some popping when using a MAPP torch but it lights good and burns clean. I'm sure the fire would've gone without a 2nd starter cube.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Dawnya00
    Dawnya00 Posts: 50
    Options
    Only time I have heard of "pops" was firebox cracking. Although, the fire going out and smoke??? Sounds like moisture in the lump maybe?? New one on me. I have experienced sparking, but not loud pops personally. How/ where do you store your coal? What is the weather like? Rain, humid?
    After we completed the grill area, I found a cheap lidded tote from IKEA and I have the lump inside that tucked way back on the 'storage' shelf below the egg. We got some rain since I have used it last. I am in Minnesota. Not too humid. Until this time, I stored it in the garage. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Sounds like it was your lump. Down here in Dixie, the Cowboy brand will pop and snap like firecrackers. It will really act a fool. Usually when the egg it's self pops, it's sort of a deep pitch thud. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Dawnya00
    Options
    bigguy136 said:
    I'm also in Minnesota and RO is one of the only brands available for a decent price (just picked up 60 8.8 lb bags for $4.99/ bag, what would some of the other brands cost). I do have some popping when using a MAPP torch but it lights good and burns clean. I'm sure the fire would've gone without a 2nd starter cube.
    Nice deal! I haven't had any problems with the lump really. I am thinking it is my storage situation causing it. I am just surprised it happened. Do many people store their lump outside? 
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    It does sound like maybe a little moisture in the charcoal.  BTW very nice ambiance! 
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I use a propane canister fueled weed burner from Lowes.  Never a problem.  

As far as the popping noise, you're going to have to inspect the egg and firebox for cracks tomorrow when it's cold.  Hope for the best!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    The only "pop" I ever heard was my CI grid... TWO of them. I have a cracked base and firebox too, but I never heard them crack.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Dawnya00
    Options
    I hope nothing is cracked. I went to visit my Mom for a week last week and besides missing the hubby, I couldn't stop thinking about my Egg! Poor girl probably missed me too!  ;)
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    Dawnya00 said:
    After we completed the grill area, I found a cheap lidded tote from IKEA and I have the lump inside that tucked way back on the 'storage' shelf below the egg. We got some rain since I have used it last. I am in Minnesota. Not too humid. Until this time, I stored it in the garage. 
    Don't keep your lump in airtight containers.  The moisture is actually worse in the tuperware.  Keep it where it can breathe.

@stlcharcoal can tell you why.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

Don't keep your lump in airtight containers.  The moisture is actually worse in the tuperware.  Keep it where it can breathe.

I can be if the sun hits it.  Also, unless you perfectly seal it in a humidity free environment, it's not like it's going to keep the humidity out.  You might be holding the humidity in.  You don't have to worry much about mold with lump; but if you do the same with wood chunks, they'll be covered in mold in no time.  Better to ventilate if you can.

I bet you this was a rock with moisture in it.  The water inside boiled and then came apart.  The smoke you saw may have been steam.  Next time you go to clean it out see if you have rock fragments that you can piece it back together.  Nothing against whatever brand you're using, has happened one of our customers 3 yrs ago, and myself many years ago......no damage, just surprised.
  • Dawnya00
    Options
    That was the thing. As soon as I lifted the lid and the sun hit it, Bam! Pop! 
    I am going to take my bag out of my box I guess.  I asked earlier...I can't be the only Egger to keep their lump outside. I wouldn't even say my tote is airtight, just sealed. Is it too low to the ground? 
    I will take photos tomorrow. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Last time I heard a loud pop or crack, my fire grate exploded, breaking into multiple pieces, embedding shards of metal into the dome. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Get a weed burner. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Dawnya00 said:
    I can't be the only Egger to keep their lump outside.  
    I leave my bags on the porch. They are covered by a roof but I have been known to leave the bag "open" due to laziness. I live in Columbia, SC where we have had 105 with 60+% humidity this summer. No issues here. I think it has to be the lump. The cracking of an egg sounds so different you would know if you heard it. Good luck. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    Nice looking set up.. Love all the rock..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    This happened to me last year. Almost as loud as a gunshot. Fortunately,  I had no cracks though I was certain I would find one.  I never figured out what it was, but from above I guess it may have been a rock.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Only time I have heard loud pops was when the egg cracked or parts in the egg cracked. I would clean everything out and check your internal parts and then the base across the bottom. 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I use a propane canister fueled weed burner from Lowes.  Never a problem.  

As far as the popping noise, you're going to have to inspect the egg and firebox for cracks tomorrow when it's cold.  Hope for the best!
    I have one of these. It really works well for lighting the charcoal.