Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hot plate/induction cooktop

Options
Do any of ya'll use some sort of a hot plate/induction cooktop along with your eggs? If so, any recommendations or input?
Killen, AL (The Shoals)
XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs

Comments

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    I have the Max Burton 6200 .. they are fantastic for what I need it for : http://www.amazon.com/Burton-6200-1800-Watt-Induction-Cooktop/dp/B0037Z7HQK
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Subscribed. We are starting a kitchen remodel in about 3 weeks so we won't have a stove for a couple of months. I am planning to get something like this for use in the interim. 

I tried to convince the Mrs. that we should get an induction cook top but lost that battle. We will be going from an early '80s electric to a Dacor dual fuel with too many bells and whistles to suit me. Not thrilled with the price either.

Looking forward to the recommendations on the hot plate.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options
    I am looking for something to take tailgating at Bama games along with the Minimax. I imagine it would be easier to cook breakfast in a skillet on a cooktop than the egg.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
  • Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Options
    I bought one for my RV, along with a set of pans that do induction.  Since I bought the BG Eggs the cook top and pans now reside in my outdoor kitchen and only get moved back to the rv if I am going to travel.  Mine is a NuWave brand.  Bought it at BedBathandBeyond.  $99 and included a non stick skillet.  With the 20% off coupon that always shows up in the mail or newspaper, it cost me $80.  They also have it at WallyWorld.

Has the ability for 52 different temps and has a sear setting that will do a number on steaks in a heartbeat.  That comes in handy in the rv.  The advertising is true also, it will bring water to a boil in 90 seconds.  Very versatile.
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    Subscribed. We are starting a kitchen remodel in about 3 weeks so we won't have a stove for a couple of months. I am planning to get something like this for use in the interim. 

I tried to convince the Mrs. that we should get an induction cook top but lost that battle. We will be going from an early '80s electric to a Dacor dual fuel with too many bells and whistles to suit me. Not thrilled with the price either.

Looking forward to the recommendations on the hot plate.
    What is her objection to an induction range?
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Your wife is a serious cook? Great choice in ranges. Inductions don't offer the same control as gas, require meticulous upkeep and don't accommodate all pans. Duel fuel semi-pro is the way to go if you can afford it. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    jlsm said:
    Your wife is a serious cook? Great choice in ranges. Inductions don't offer the same control as gas, require meticulous upkeep and don't accommodate all pans. Duel fuel semi-pro is the way to go if you can afford it. 
    We've had an induction stovetop for a few years, now, and at least in my own experience, I'd say that's all upside down.  I find induction considerably faster and more responsive than gas.  I cooked on a gas range again when we rented a house at the beach this summer and I hated the gas, wanted my induction back!  I also don't know what you mean by meticulous upkeep.  It's a glass top, and because it doesn't ever get very hot, nothing burns onto it -- it's the easiest cooktop to keep clean of any I've ever owned.

The only downside of induction, so far as I can see, is that there are lots of pots and pans that won't work on it.  We bought an entirely new set of pots and pans, because hardly any of our old ones had enough iron in them to work.  Aluminum skillets, copper pots, for example.  We even had one All-Clad Copper Core saucepan that we really loved, but it wasn't magnetic at all.  I've read that they changed their lines, and that they all work on induction, now, but we had that copper core saucepan a long time ago, and a magnet wouldn't stick to it a bit.

I guess one other down side is not about induction, but about glass tops.  Glass scratches, so if you like to be shaking pans to flip food around, etc., that's the one thing I sort of miss on a gas range.

But overall, I've used regular electric, the solid-top ceramic electric, ceramic halogen electric, gas, and induction, and I don't ever want to cook on anything but induction again (aside from the Egg, of course!) -- it's great!
  • Ivanhoe
    Ivanhoe Posts: 223
    Options
    I have to echo Theophan - We love our Thermador induction cook top. Cleanup is amazingly simple!  Very few negatives...
    Tulare, CA - Large BGE
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    We are doing a "once in a lifetime" remodel as we hope to be in our forever home. She has always dreamed of a pro level gas range. We even took pans and food the appliance store and cooked on an induction. I loved it. We have a glass electric cooktop now and it's always hard to keep clean. I tried to explain to her that her dream gas stove was going to be a b!tch to keep clean in comparison to an induction. Personally, I think she wanted to have a specific look and wasn't willing to compromise on that over performance.

That is just one of MANY things in this remodel that don't make sense to me.... I'm sure it will all be fine in the end.  
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • JohnH12
    Options
    I'm firmly on the side that induction is faster to heat, faster to respond (especially to a temp reduction), and easier to keep clean.
    As far as scratching the glass top, just use a paper towel and shake that pan to your heart's content!
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I ordered the Opal Ice Pellet maker off Indiegogo.  Today I learned that the maker Paragon (a subsidiary of GE) has another product there that looks just as promising.  How about an induction cook top that also serves as a sous vide??!!??!!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/paragon-induction-cooktop#/story 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I ordered the Opal Ice Pellet maker off Indiegogo.  Today I learned that the maker Paragon (a subsidiary of GE) has another product there that looks just as promising.  How about an induction cook top that also serves as a sous vide??!!??!!

Dammit man!  My wallet's vibrating!  I want both, have neither. 
  • GATraveller
    Options

Dammit man!  My wallet's vibrating!  I want both, have neither. 
    I got suckered in on the ice maker......haven't pulled the trigger on the induction cook top but think i'm gonna.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @GATraveller I just told the wife, I'll order this before the night's out. Need a few more beverages. 
  • Navymom
    Navymom Posts: 167
    Options
    We recently remodeled the kitchen and put in a Bosch FlexInduction cooktop. I'm loving it so far. I did have to buy new some new cookware and use cast iron with either a paper towel or a piece of parchment paper under it to prevent scratches.
    Wear maroon, live maroon, bleed maroon.
    Fightin' Texas Aggies Fly Navy.
    Denton TX
  • Theophan
    Options
    JohnH12 said:
    I'm firmly on the side that induction is faster to heat, faster to respond (especially to a temp reduction), and easier to keep clean.
    As far as scratching the glass top, just use a paper towel and shake that pan to your heart's content!
    Now I feel really stupid for not thinking of that!  :)  I did put a piece of a brown paper bag under a pot when shaking it to make non-microwave popcorn a couple of times, and it worked fine but I had trouble keeping track of where the active part of the burner was because I couldn't see though it.  It never occurred to me just to put a piece of paper towel under the skillet.  I'll definitely try that -- thanks!
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
  • JohnH12
    Options
    Theophan
    Only a half sheet of towel works just fine. That way you can see to rings on the glasstop.
    I also have a Lodge cast iron griddle that I put a half sheet on each end so it can straddle the two "burner" rings. It heats up just fine on the ends and the middle is sort of a warming spot.
  • chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Options
    @BigGreenBamaGriller I'm in the market for one for my new table build. Read many reviews--and I think I'm going with this one from Costco for the fact I can return or exchange it without hassle if it fails. 

http://www.costco.com/Eurodib-Induction-Cooktop-Combo.product.100177685.html

Looking forward to seeing Bama up in Athens. I'll be there. 
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • BearQ
    BearQ Posts: 174
    Options
    does anyone know how an induction hot plate effects wifi  for use with pit controllers or Maverick temp radio signals in close proximity?
    Barrie,Ont.,Canada.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    chrisc133 said:
    @BigGreenBamaGriller I'm in the market for one for my new table build. Read many reviews--and I think I'm going with this one from Costco for the fact I can return or exchange it without hassle if it fails. 

http://www.costco.com/Eurodib-Induction-Cooktop-Combo.product.100177685.html

http://www.nuwavepic.com/

I've got one of these ^^.  I picked it up on a whim at an estate sale and have used it several times a week since.  The website is cheesy, but the thing works amazingly well.  I believe it gets hotter and has more temp settings than the Costco one.  My fav use is as an outdoor deepfryer with a CI dutch oven.

Phoenix 
  • Theophan
    edited August 2015
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    ... We have a glass electric cooktop now and it's always hard to keep clean. I tried to explain to her that her dream gas stove was going to be a b!tch to keep clean in comparison to an induction. Personally, I think she wanted to have a specific look and wasn't willing to compromise on that over performance.

That is just one of MANY things in this remodel that don't make sense to me.... I'm sure it will all be fine in the end.  
    Yeah, those ceramic "glass top" electric ranges look wonderful in the store, but after a while, we kept getting a ring of cooked-on stuff around each burner that was practically fused to the glass.  It was a pain to try to keep clean.

However, if your wife gets her dream kitchen and is very happy, you, too, will be much happier than you'll be if instead she keeps wishing she'd gotten that gas stove she always wanted...  If it means that much to her, I'm with you:  make her happy!
  • GATraveller
    Options
    @GATraveller took the plunge. 
    I would so do it right now but fortunately/unfortunately my recycled firefighter dot com sergeant wallet slid off the console of my boat today and straight to the bottom of Lake Lanier........we think.......I emailed the guy that makes them and they've never tested if it can swim so I'm playing Guinea pig tomorrow and testing the buoyancy of the one I bought for my son.  
    Guess I'll buy a new wallet and induction burner when my replacement card comes via FedEx. 

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • GATraveller
    Options

chrisc133 said:
    I'll be there. Can't wait. 

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options

chrisc133 said:
    I'll be there. Can't wait. 
    Wish I could make this one. Going to Athens is on my bucket list, but I only have 4 individual vacation days left, so I'll be going to all the home SEC games. 

Oh I've been working on the railroad...
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I have a two burner Wolf and couldn't live without it. Wish I had gotten it on the stovetop instead of gas.

Steve 

Caledon, ON