Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

6 confirmed kills 2 inside house, got my new toys today

Options
cactus_darrell
cactus_darrell Posts: 68
edited August 2015 in EggHead Forum

My wife thinks I am a nut!  I just can't stand those pesky BBQ flies! It really works pretty good. Trophy pictures to follow.

I treated myself to some early Christmas gifts, can't wait to use them.  I purchased a 2nd backlit thermopen and the new Dot thermometer from open box sale.  I am going to set up a race between my black thermo and the new red backlit to once and for all determine the fastest color.  Hope everyone has a great weekend of smoking carnage.

BGE, Treager LilTex, Terinan 48 SOB, Custom electric smoker, Weber kettle, Weber gas grill, Masterbuilt SS smoker, last but not least UDS

I've never meet a cow I didn't like, with a little salt and pepper.

Amarillo, Texas

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Niiiiiice!  Love my Bug-A-Salt

I have about 300 confirmed kills.  You'll want to get close, but the sweet spot is really about 8-10 feet!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Careful!
    If one of those flies is named "Cecil" . . .

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• bob.bud
    bob.bud Posts: 297
    Options
    more temptation... I have been eyeing a bug-a-salt. The tennis racket shock treatment is losing its appeal.
    Bloomfield Hills, MI | LGBE : AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid : Kick Ash Basket : Smokeware Cap : Smobot Beta
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    All this bug a salt talk, had to get mine out of storage, haven't used it in a couple of years and I can't kill shite with it, it just bounces off.  Also ran out of salt and realized I have no table salt in the house, only kosher.  I may have to order the newer version.
  • Texansurf
    Texansurf Posts: 507
    Options
    I like to catch and pull the wings off... 

Turning flys into Walks.
    Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Texansurf said:

Turning flys into Walks.
    Some one is a few steps toward a serial killer!
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Texansurf said:

Turning flys into Walks.
    Dexter?  Is that you?

Phoenix 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    Phew, thought this was another depressing thread, but it is awesome.  I want one bad!
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Navigator
    Options
    I knew what this was before I clicked it. I have been wanting one of those for quite a while.......off to Amazon I go!
    Rich
    Ashland, WI  /  Large & Mini Max
  • Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Options
    Nice, mine is in route. My wife and kid think Im a nut to for ordering it. There loss my fun!
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • cactus_darrell
    Options
    bob.bud said:
    more temptation... I have been eyeing a bug-a-salt. The tennis racket shock treatment is losing its appeal.

I swatted my wife with the electric tennis racket, to my surprise it puts out a really strong shock.  OUCH she screamed out and let me have that thing I gonna nail your ass Mr Cactus

BGE, Treager LilTex, Terinan 48 SOB, Custom electric smoker, Weber kettle, Weber gas grill, Masterbuilt SS smoker, last but not least UDS

Amarillo, Texas

• cactus_darrell
    Options
    Texansurf said:

Turning flys into Walks.

When I was younger I would catch flies pull their heads off and squish the heads between a folded paper, made some nice blood fly art, there was no internet back in the 50's, hell there wasn't even a computer.  kids were amused by so much less back then,

Amarillo, Texas

• cactus_darrell
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Niiiiiice!  Love my Bug-A-Salt

I have about 300 confirmed kills.  You'll want to get close, but the sweet spot is really about 8-10 feet!

I caught one in my bathroom this morning he wouldn't land so I tried to shoot him flying, I think I winged him, haven't seen him sense.

Amarillo, Texas

• Navigator
    Options
    I ordered 2 camo ones right from bugasalt.com for $76.45 delivered. Found a code for 10% off (code: BEREADY): 
    The camo was $5 more but one of them is for a Christmas gift.
    Rich
    Ashland, WI  /  Large & Mini Max
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    It's safe to use those things indoors? Won't ruin the walls?
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    Interesting review posted on Amazon.  Anyone heard of doing this?

"It's too bad some folks are having problems with this - for over forty years I have used a Benjamin pump air rifle and [after 1982] a Crosman #1377 pump pistol to kill flies.Simply pump the pistol five or more times and blast the wings from a fly at up to 4 feet with just air [no salt residue]. For bigger bugs or longer distances [up to 6 or 8 feet] simply load a wad of slightly wet paper towel down the barrel [use a skewer for a ramrod] and shoot what we used to call a "soap wad". I buy Crosman 1377 pistols in pawn shops but it can be found new from $40 to $70 online. The 1377 is a serious pistol so be certain to observe basic gun safety at all times - also I wouldn't try this with break barrel air guns [pumpers only] as they will self destruct if fired with just air [a pellet is needed to avoid seal damage to these guns]."
  • cactus_darrell
    Options
    odie91 said:
    It's safe to use those things indoors? Won't ruin the walls?

No problem, it really doesn't have enough power to damage anything but, it will make a mess out of a fly.

Amarillo, Texas

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Just received mine, love it!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.