Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Split Spares?

Chubbs
Chubbs Posts: 6,929
Purchased some ribs last minute at store. Got home and unwrapped them and noticed little strange shape. Pretty small on one end. Looked at wrapper and saw Split Spares. Are these simply the tops that are cut off of St. Louis style spares? If so, how different will they cook than spares? I was planning my normal 5-6 hours. The larger end are very meaty. 
Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• Chubbs
    Whatcha think @SGH?
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Chubbs said:
    Whatcha think @SGH?
    Those look like small St Louis ribs to me. However without seeing the other side it's hard to say with absolute certainty. With that said, the term "split rib" is used different area to area. Down here in Dixie, it usually applies to ribs from a very small or sucking swine that has some belly meat still attached. But again, just looking at the pic it's hard to say for sure without seeing the other side. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH said:
    Chubbs said:
    Whatcha think @SGH?
    Those look like small St Louis ribs to me. However without seeing the other side it's hard to say with absolute certainty. With that said, the term "split rib" is used different area to area. Down here in Dixie, it usually applies to ribs from a very small or sucking swine that has some belly meat still attached. But again, just looking at the pic it's hard to say for sure without seeing the other side. 
    @SGH... just turn your computer or phone around to see the other side.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I think they are spares too @SGH. Maybe mismarked. They are certainly an odd shape though. And cooking a little odd. No pullback off bones after 4.5 hours. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Thru the cloud of adult supervisory beverages, they look like trimmed St Louis spares for the most part.  Regardless, great looking ribs-toothpick test for the finish.  Great eats await.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    St Louis cut 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Chubbs
    Dobie said:
    St Louis cut 
    I have had St. Louis cut 1,000 times. Definitely not them. These were weirdest things I have egged in a while. 
  • Chubbs
    Okay verdict is in. No pics because my phone was charging. @SGH these might have been from a dog or cat!! The longest bone was little over 3 inches. It was almost like these were a mini version of untrimmed spares. The bones did not go through half the width and these was a ton of cartilage like rib tips. This was a new one on me. Pretty
    good but really bizarre
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    And you didn't purchase from a street vendor with a link to over-seas markets?? :peace:   Tastes good , "is good and better off not knowing the origin".  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Chubbs
    lousubcap said:
    And you didn't purchase from a street vendor with a link to over-seas markets?? :peace:   Tastes good , "is good and better off not knowing the origin".  
    Got them from BiLo on sale. Have not shopped there in 5 years probably and might be 5 more years
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Chubbs said:
    Okay verdict is in. No pics because my phone was charging. @SGH these might have been from a dog or cat!! The longest bone was little over 3 inches. It was almost like these were a mini version of untrimmed spares. The bones did not go through half the width and these was a ton of cartilage like rib tips. This was a new one on me. Pretty
    good but really bizarre
    After hearing the quoted above, I'm willing to go out on a limb (even without pics) and say that what you had was the trim away ends from spares. You have the end closest toward the breast plate or (brisket bone). Even though it's pork the slang term "brisket bone" is still applied. This cut contains a lot of cartilage and sometimes some breast bone. I'm basing this on your overall description of the meat and the short length of the bones. But the short length of the bones and the excessive cartliage is a tell tale sign of the end cuts toward the breast end of St Louis ribs. So in a nutshell, you had the upper end of St Louis ribs that gets cut away normally and most folks do not want. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    Chubbs said:
    Dobie said:
    St Louis cut 
    I have had St. Louis cut 1,000 times. Definitely not them. These were weirdest things I have egged in a while. 
    Maybe just a small pig? Definitely not a full spare and too flat for baby backs  :s
    Jacksonville FL