Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon-wrapped scallops with barbeque sauce

Options

Flying solo at home this weekend, and because I'm the only one in the house who likes seafood, decided to do some bacon-wrapped scallops with barbeque sauce.

Used Old Bay and lemon EVOO to marinate the scallops for about an hour. Cooked the bacon in the oven at 350 for 12 minutes to get it partially done.

After the scallops were wrapped and on skewers, into the Egg they went. Raised indirect with the dome temp around 350 degrees. Let them cook with one flip for about 10 minutes until the internal temp reached about 120.

Midway through that first 10 minutes I placed a CI below the cooking grateso I could use it to sear. In retrospect, the CI should have been there from the start so it would have been hotter. In they went to the CI for about 3 minutes a side.

Then back to the grate where they were brushed with a light coating of BBQ sauce. After 2-3 minutes I flipped them and applied more sauce. A few minutes later internal temp was close to 150, so I pulled them.

Scallops turned out just about perfect. My guess is the bacon cooking the rest of the way helped keep them moist. I really liked the kick of the Old Bay and sweetness of the sauce. I think one key was not to overdue it with the BBQ sauce. Only minus was the scallops weren't seared as much as I would have preferred, but getting the CI hotter next time should help.

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

Comments

• Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335
    Options
    That REALLY looks good and like something that would be right up my alley.    That's really the biggest benefit to the spouse being gone, is to "do what you dig".   Thanks for sharing.
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options
    I'd hit that
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Great looking plate of grub right there, no question of it. I could honestly eat the whole plate of them in one sitting. Solid cook.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I love scallops, and have yet to perfect the cook. I will try to do the method you suggested. It looks awesome!! 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky