Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My turn at nom nom

Options
cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
edited August 2015 in EggHead Forum
First and formost, big thanks to @nolaegghead for all the help!  Thanks to Cen for letting me know about Modernist Pantry!

I used Ruhlman's recipe:

http://blog.ruhlman.com/2010/10/home-cured-bacon-2/

After curing, I cut off a piece and fried it to test the salt level.  After doing so, I soaked it for about 4 hours and wrapped them up to smoke the next day.  I seasoned 4 with turbinado and coarse pepper and the other 2, I added maple syrup to the pepper and sugar.  

I started my Pitmaker Vault cold with a tiny fire and added apple chunks.  They smoked @ about 100-125 for the first 4 hours, then 160 for the final 2 hours.  They were pulled at 155.

I refridgerated them overnight and sliced (handcut) and packaged them today.

I ended up with ten 1.5# packages and a couple bags of smokey end cuts that I'll save for cooking.

Do it!  It is a lot of work, but damn, this is some great bacon! I'm giving 6 packs to neighbors and friends, so I guess I'll do some more soon!    =)
Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments