Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature Control.... HELP

Options
Hey Gang, 

Running a bit behind the 8 ball. I lit my LBGE, and went inside to pull the membrane off some BBribs while I waited for it to set up. Well, I had a stubborn one, and next thing I knew the egg is roaring at 375. I got it down to 250, but when my drip pan of Apple Juice/Apple cider vinegar and the 4 slabs of ribs went in, the dome temp dropped and is holding at 200. I know, patience is the name of the game, but was WAAAAAYYYYYY late with a brisket last week. So the wife is already teasing me. 

Dare i open the bottom vents to get the temp up and then try to catch it?? Thoughts?

We need to eat in about 4 hours

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    edited August 2015
    Options
    First question.  Do you know what settings usually set you in at 250-275 when you have a platesetter and some meat?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• bigalsworth
    Options
    When you put meat on the temp normally drops and then bounces back, but if you haven't got your ceramic nice and heat soaked it can take a little longer to get back. I would give it a bit but you can probably open your vents a bit just to help it out and then set them back to normal after it recovers
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Do not open the bottom vent, use the Daisy Wheel to slowly bring the temp up. Remember, you tell the egg what to do, it doesn't tell you

This is not a problem ... 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,625
    Options
    It will come back to 250 once the meat and cider comes up to temp, but you won't be eating ribs in 4 hours at 250.  Open it a little, maybe 1/8".  I think you probably need to be at least 300.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    If you do open the vent (bottom or top) keep a close eye on it... once it starts to go back up you want to adjust to your normal settings (pretty quickly) for the temp you're aiming for. Don't be surprised if you find yourself chasing your temp for this cook.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Now you just need a 4 sided coin to flip for what to do.  Good luck, I'm sure any of the advice would work out.  Lots of ways to do this.
  • FiremanMikeD
    Options
    Thanks to all! I did open it a bit, and my ceramic took hold shortly thereafter. I am running a grate temp of about 250 and a dome temp at 275. I think I'm in my happy place. Appreciate you all... hope a good saturday cook is in your future. 

TexoftheNorth... I guess I'll have to sit close by with a cold beer and keep a close eye on it. SoCalTim, and Legume, made me chuckle out loud.

Thanks again guys!
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Thanks to all! I did open it a bit, and my ceramic took hold shortly thereafter. I am running a grate temp of about 250 and a dome temp at 275. I think I'm in my happy place. Appreciate you all... hope a good saturday cook is in your future. 

TexoftheNorth... I guess I'll have to sit close by with a cold beer and keep a close eye on it. SoCalTim, and Legume, made me chuckle out loud.

Thanks again guys!
    Well, somebody's got to do it!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    @FiremanMikeD  .. once you get a bunch of cooks under your belt, you'll know exactly where 275 , 300 & 350 are on your lower vent and daisy wheel. Took me a while to finally get a grasp on things.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    I think to be ready in 4 hrs you'll need to bump up the heat a little.  325-350 temp range 
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    A factor the will impact any cook...liquid in a drip pan.  The liquid acts as a heat-sink effectively keeping temps in close vicinity to around the boiling point of water.  Once the liquid has evaporated, the sink is gone and temps will rise to the natural air-flow level for a non- drip panned cook.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.