Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CI inheritance!

Options
gdenby
gdenby Posts: 6,239
My very generous uncle left me his house. Lots of stuff to pitch. Big surprise, out in the garage I discover a big CI skillet. Not too bad condition, lots of incrusted crud. After an hour or so in an Egg at 500F, most of the crud fell away easily.

What I have is a Griswold 10, ca 1880 - 1920. Probably from my paternal grandparents. Not finished cleaning the surface, but the cooking surface is completely smooth to my finger touch.

I suspect this will last at least another 100 years with a little care.

Woo hoo!

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    @gdenby   Sorry about your uncle, but congrats on the house and a really awesome find.
    Phoenix 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited August 2015
    Options
    A beautiful heirloom.  Enjoy!
    An earlier slant logo, would put it 1906-1912

http://www.castironcollector.com/trademarks.php
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    Nice!
    Jacksonville FL
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    Options
    Nice!  Keep that off electric burners.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • luckyboy
    luckyboy Posts: 284
    Options
    Get some lard and rub the cooking surface down real good and put it in the oven at about 200 degrees for and hour or so and you'll seal all the pour in the ci again. You'll be seasoning it again.Great find.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Awesome find to remember your ancestors by. 
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    That is so awesome. Love old stuff like that. He obviously loved it and you
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Forgive me as I'm really green at CI. But why?
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Sorry bout your uncle, you guys must have been close.  That is a great score on the CI.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Sorry bout your uncle, you guys must have been close.  That is a great score on the CI.  
    What he said.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Nice pan. I have a #9 large slant logo that size range is perfect. The large slant pans are so nice cause they are half the weight of the later griswolds. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Forgive me as I'm really green at CI. But why?
    Electric eyes localize the heat.  They usually heat up by on/off cycles at full power instead of low flames like gas.

The nature of that intense local heat will cause the bottom of the cast iron to cup.

When you go to yard sales check out the skillets.  If it sits flat it is good, if it rocks then they over heated it.

And no you cannot heat it up and flatten it again.  It will crack.  I know because I tried.

When I use them on electric eyes I am very catious and use medium to lower heats.

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS