Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tailgate Time- securing MiniMax?

Options
I know there have been some discussions on this topic - so apologies for being redundant- but help us figure out how to not lose our MiniMax once we head into the stadium.   We've got our tailgate gear just about ready for kickoff but how do we secure our Egg once we head into the stadium?  Our plan is to shut down the Egg about an hour and half before heading in- got a kick ash basket and aluminum can for hot coals- Do you think the Egg will be cool enough to put in back of our pilot?  Of course we generally break down most everything and depending on how many beverages have been consumed - it's semi thrown back in the car to be rearranged early Sunday morning.  Should we invest in cable/chain and padlock to secure to the car?  Help us out if you can- thanks!
Cary, NC    LBGE & Mini Max

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    If you take out lump and leave the dome open, it cools pretty fast. Why not do a test run at home?
  • tcracing
    tcracing Posts: 378
    Options
    Probably best to do a test run first. Try your plan and see how it works. After you take the hot lump out just leave the little guy open to cool off. After said time check temperature inside and outside ceramics. 
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • tcracing
    tcracing Posts: 378
    Options
    Darn you @theyolksonyou you beat me to it.
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • PASmoke
    PASmoke Posts: 279
    Options
    Maybe a bike chain or lock through the BGE handle and secured to something would work. It could be locked to the car/truck or even something that would just make it very inconvienent/awkward to carry like a tailgate tent or large cooler. Let us know what you come up with....Go Dawgs! 
    Atlanta, GA - Large BGE x 2

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Maybe buy a large metal trash can and cut it down the middle horizontally. Then you can set the egg in it, and it in the car. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Once saw a tv ad about this incredible 'bike lock' .. the company was so confident in it's product that it came with a guarantee 'if your like is stolen with our lock on it, we will replace the bike' ... in small tiny writing at the very bottom of the ad was a disclaimer 'Not Valid in NYC' ..

The moral of this story - Don't tailgate in NYC!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I think the answer on the security side is it depends. I tie my chairs, grill, and tailgate box together with a cable and lock. I have never had anyone steal any of these items. It is about making it difficult to take a single item, and easily walk off with it. Given the weight of the MM, and chained to other items, I think you would be good for normal talegate areas. That said, I think some savey should be used in that decision. Is there a parking lot attendednt in the area? Are there others who watch the games from the parking lot that might keep an eye out. Is it a day game or night? What is the lighting like at night? What is the neighborhood like? Like anything else there is risk. If someone wants your grill bad enough, a pair of boltcutters or hammer is going to be required to cut or break in. My rule of thought is don't make it easy for someone to walk off with it. Only you can asses the risk......my thoughts do not come with a warrenty. By all means, have fun and good luck with your season.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Iffin I was going to use a chain of some sort I'd make it as short as possible so it is securely padlocked closely to my car or whatever so that a:
    1) potential thief could readily see it was firmly attached, and
    2) so some idiot who decides if he can't steal it then he's going to bust it by picking it up and throwing it!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow