Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First egg recommend a size

Options
Alright guys, been wanting one for a whole now and am gonna bite the bullet. I will soon be a family of two in an apartment. On second story, so I won't need to bring it in and out. 

I went to the store and liking the xl but may not certain. It's normally going to be just us 2 eating for now but would like to start showing off my skills in the future when a backyard allows. 

One concern with getting the xl is coal usage. I have heard the xl uses a lot more coal per cook than the medium or large. Is this true?

From DFW TX

Comments

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Start with the Mini Max. It won't be your only egg. Get the big one when you get the backyard. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    I have an XL and while it may use a little more lump than a medium or lg model the extra space is worth it to me.  It uses way less lump than my UDS or Weber to cook the same amount of food. Look forward to seeing pic of your new Egg in action.
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    I don't know what fire regulations are in your area but in mine you aren't allowed to have charcoal grills on patios and balconies in an apartment building. Better make sure it's accepted in your area before taking the plunge.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I have an XL, it was my first. I love it. You really need to check out the rules for your apartment. It takes up a lot of ground space, and unless you are cooking for several folks on a regular basis, it may indeed be too large for your immediate needs. I also have The MM. It is a great little grill, and with decent planning you can cook for four. If you think something larger take a serious look at a Medium. That will be my next purchase.
    The medium is pretty sweet. Those that I know, which have them, have convinced me of their worth. Perfect size for two or a few more, and does not eat up a lot of room or floor space.
    Do check the guidelines for rental property with grills, especially with balconies. Hope this helps.
    Lump useage is a valid concern, but it will be on the lower end of ongoing expense for the BGE.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    The large is the overwhelming leader in sales. I would say it is adequate for a family of four and regular entertaining. You could easily go smaller if you wish, but you appear to be wisely looking forward to the future. Large is my vote. 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    +1 on large.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I suggest the large.  You can do everything on it that you'd really want - full packer briskets, Thanksgiving turkey, etc.  I like the XL too but it just seems like overkill on everyday cooks when you just want a couple of burgers or maybe a steak for yourself.  For sure the smaller units use less lump, and I have a MiniMax as well and love it.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options
    I started out with an XL. There is more space than I need 95% of the time. With accessories like the Adjustable Rig (www.ceramicgrillstore.com) that can add space, I would recommend the large. 
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Get a large demo egg, if they allow it at your apartment complex. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I reiterate. Check the rules where you live. I vote for XL. If you look at it and like the idea of that much elbow room, you wont regret it. It is your first instinct. I personally like plenty of elbow room when i cook. I hate having to flip a burger and put it back in the same hole it came out of. Plus room for sides. Concerning lump. Trust me. After you start cooking it becomes a neccessary thing to keep on hand like TP. You look for good deals but you dont try to use less. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • jakebge
    jakebge Posts: 79
    Options
    I started out with a small and it has been great.  I then purchased a large off craigslist and again a great decision.  Good news is, you can't make a bad decision.  

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    If you get a large or XL, you will need a spot to store at least two 20-lb bags of lump. Just so you know, these eggs are super heavy.  
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • MisterCode
    Options
    I am constantly reminded of our good decision to buy the XL back before we had any kids or plenty of space to host like we do now (5 years later). The XL does it all. I have yet to need extra stacking racks and such the smaller Egg owners tend to end up wanting.
    XL 2010 w/ Self-made hardwood lump charcoal
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    I bought the XL. It's nice to have the real estate on the grate. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • bob.bud
    bob.bud Posts: 297
    Options
    I went with a large and bought an AR, and like others have said... no matter what you get, you will be thinking of another egg. Fire code, as others have mentioned, will likely foil your plans to use the egg on your apt second floor deck. 
    Bloomfield Hills, MI | LGBE : AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid : Kick Ash Basket : Smokeware Cap : Smobot Beta
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I was in the same boat as you. Except I have five eating from the egg (well 4 1/2 anyway). I struggled for over a year deciding on size. I drove @pgprescott nuts with my questions. 

I went large. It is perfect. XL would have been cool too. But, I have no regrets EXCEPT I wish I had bought it a year sooner. 

Dont fret. Buy what you can afford. 
    Clinton, Iowa
  • PASmoke
    PASmoke Posts: 279
    Options
    Another +1 on checking with your apartment complex before you buy one. Nothing able to have one stinks either way but would be VERY bad to learn afterward. I vote for the large. I have a family of four and we entertain other couples fairly regularly....the Large has worked just fine. I don't think you can necessarily go "wrong" with more space if you choose the XL - but you don't need it. 
    Atlanta, GA - Large BGE x 2

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Large would be a great choice, again, after you have checked all pertinent regulations.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Large will be fine for two - or more, many more.

Moving a large, while no small feat, will be a cakewalk as opposed to moving an XL. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Toddski
    Toddski Posts: 26
    Options
    I have the large and the XL. I love them both but use the XL more.
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    I've got an XL and love it. If I'm doing a couple burgers, pork tenderloin or a couple breasts, I have a couple fire bricks that are set on edge creating a smaller area for lump. You can cut the grate down from 30 to 75% if needed and still hit 500 degrees if necessary. Plus this creates an indirect area, if needed, for any direct cooking. I'm sure one could do the same with the large as well.
    I disagree that the XL uses more lump. 
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Well, I think I've seen petty much everything recommended in the thread aside from the mini (not the Minimax) and the XXL. I think the take home message is that there's probably not a wrong answer. My first (and so far only) egg is an XL and I love it. I cook frequently for just my wife and I since the kids are too young to really eat anything of note, but I've also had the ability to 'cater' events for friends where there we're 60 people in attendance. I feel like the XL maximizes my flexibility without the absolute insanity of the XXL. I also got a great deal on it at an Eggfest, which I highly recommend.

Two things to note that have already been mentioned:
    1) Check regs. Nothing worse than buying an egg and not being able to keep it.
    2) Consider recruiting help when moving. The XL is HEAVY and unwieldy so it's difficult (not impossible) to move. These things are big, heavy, fragile, and often dirty/sooty; noe of which are condusive to easy moves...

What ever your decision enjoy cooking and experimenting and post often with lots of pics.

Cheers -
    B_B

Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    I was convinced I needed a xl but didn't have the money... So I bought a large and an adjustable rig and haven't thought about the xl since. 
  • Pridnjoy
    Pridnjoy Posts: 130
    Options
    Miked125 said:
    I was convinced I needed a xl but didn't have the money... So I bought a large and an adjustable rig and haven't thought about the xl since. 
    Isn't this total close to an XL? I've been considering an AR, but have a hard time since it's almost a third of what I paid for the egg..
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about XL usage. You can use as little or as much as needed. I have quipped here about how I have fired up my XL for a single hot dog... Used about 1/4 of a Weber Chimney worth of lump.   Whatever is left over can be used in the next cook. Most of us buy lump in bulk (4-20 bags at a time) :) 
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    Buy the size Egg that you need. I have a small and its fine for me. It does a single pork butt fine and is plenty big enough for cooking for 2 people. If your plans are for multiple butts or large pizza's then look to the large Egg. The larger the Egg the more lump it will burn. Its just common physics. A 6000 sq. ft. house will burn more fuel to keep it warm in the winter than a 1500 sq. ft. house. 8 months ago I had my heart set on buying a large. My brain over-ruled and said it was not needed. For the amount I cook, the small did it all.
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    Pridnjoy said:
    Miked125 said:
    Isn't this total close to an XL? I've been considering an AR, but have a hard time since it's almost a third of what I paid for the egg..
    I didn't buy a nest... I built a table and live in Canada. So the ar and egg was about $600 cheaper for me. I also like the large uses a lot less charcoal 
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    You can cook a massive amount of meat on a large, especially by adding an inexpensive secondary grid.  No need for a XL unless you are cooking for the masses.  IMHO. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
    I think ur in trouble with Apt rules... But if u can get one, I'd do small or mini-max knowing you'll add a large when u do the house thing.   Just seems like an apt sized plan. 
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL