Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Freezer door open?

Options
I found my freezer for ppb my stand up freezer open about 8 inches.  I have about 150 lbs. of meat in it.  It was all mostly thawed but not entirely thawed.  How do I know whatsis good or bad.  What would you do?  Thanks in advance. I will check back but won't have time for a response thought away

Comments

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'd check it with my thermapen and toss anything above 40 degrees...above 40 bacteria likes to rock and roll.

Check the temp close to  or at the surface - not the center.
  • Spaightlabs
    Options
    PS - forgot to say 'sorry man' - that's a pisser.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    Sorry to hear that! I agree with what @Spaightlabs said! BTW too late now, but my upright had a wimpy lock with a type of key, but if I would pull on the door even lightly it would pop open. As cheap insurance against what you found I merely mounted a normal hasp like used with a padlock. Rather than a padlock though I just slip a metal rod through. Be sure to use short metal screws so you don't risk puncturing a tube in the case side.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    I found my freezer for ppb my stand up freezer open about 8 inches.  I have about 150 lbs. of meat in it.  It was all mostly thawed but not entirely thawed.  How do I know whatsis good or bad.  What would you do?  Thanks in advance. I will check back but won't have time for a response thought away
    Find out who left the f***ing door open!!

Sorry to hear that it happened to you.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Also meant to say that I know for a fact it was opened by me 22 hours prior.  Does that change anything?  It was a few days ago so there is no taking temp.of meat because I shut the door and froze everything.  Very bummed if I have to throw it this meat.  50 lbs. Of vaccum sealed venison as well as a bear head ready to.head to taxidermy with a white diamond on its chest.  
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    As has been said already I would check your temperatures and the second thing would be to buy a hasp and padlock

Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Doesn't sound like you're planning to eat the bear head; can't you keep that?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    All the meat needs to go in the trash to be safe.  

If you feel super adventurous and like to gamble, and if you don't mind cramps and explosive diarrhea, try some of it, but don't feed it to anyone else. If you do decide to play meat roulette, don't assume just because one piece doesn't give you salmonella that the next won't.

I just went through Salmonella a few months ago from some bad venison I got from a friend.  I will get my revenge.

Your taxidermist doesn't care if the head and hide thawed and was refrozen.
  • RRP
    Options
    My bout with salmonella was 39 years ago and I still cringe at the thought of the suffering I went through. I've withstood pain several times in my life, but with that food poisoning I just wanted to die!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,045
    Options
    bummer.  I feel for you.  Had kids kick a power cord off on my freezer years ago.  1st clue was water pooling on the floor.

I gave all the meat to a guy who has his fogs on a raw meat diet.  He was very greatful.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I've always understood that if the meat wasn't completely defrosted (i.e. it still had ice crystals) it could be refrozen. Maybe not the same quality, but safe to eat. This from the FDA... 

"If the food still contains ice crystals or is 40 °F or below, it is safe to refreeze or cook."

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/food/resourcesforyou/consumers/ucm076962.pdf 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Spaightlabs
    Options
    I've always understood that if the meat wasn't completely defrosted (i.e. it still had ice crystals) it could be refrozen. Maybe not the same quality, but safe to eat. This from the FDA... 

"If the food still contains ice crystals or is 40 °F or below, it is safe to refreeze or cook."

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/food/resourcesforyou/consumers/ucm076962.pdf 

Yeah but..................

You could have ice crystals in the center and be above 40 on the exterior...

Salmonella probably won't kill you unless you are elderly or immune-compromised, but you might wish it would a few times during the week after you get it.

If I remember correctly, Hapster had an experience with an undercooked egg about a year ago.  Betcha that just like Ron, he can remember every second of that week.

Good temporary weight loss program though. =)

I had to cancel a flight from Denver to Boston b/c of it, and man am I and 250 other travelers glad I did.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    bummer.  I feel for you.  Had kids kick a power cord off on my freezer years ago.  1st clue was water pooling on the floor.

I gave all the meat to a guy who has his fogs on a raw meat diet.  He was very greatful.
    Fogs? Where is auto correct when you need it? Great idea, to give to raw diet dogs - My St. Bernard would be very happy, good thing she can't read, she would be in the garage yanking on the freezer cord. 
    Most of what you had was prolly above 40º so all might be godd - just eat it up quick - if in vacpacs - you can keep almost all of it. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • RRP
    Options
    Seems like as good of a time as any to bring up something that probably isn't common knowledge. At least in our state it is illegal to just pitch that questionable raw meat in the garbage which gets dumped at a community waste disposal. It has to be cooked first...even though you think/know it is bad! Years ago in another life in the public sector we had the proverbial lost of power and lost nearly 2 tons of raw beef, pork, and fish. That loss drew the attention of the health dept authorities. That's why we had to spend $$$ to staff for overtime around the clock to cook up all that food on a weekend. That way the food inspectors could come back on Monday to watch the dump trucks haul off cooked meat of questionable qualitity! Granted a home freezer loss would fly under that radar, but I was just sharing the "law".
  • MelSharples
    Options
    @RRP you can also use a colored denaturant when disposing of protein.
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • RRP
    Options
    @RRP you can also use a colored denaturant when disposing of protein.
    I vaguely recall that alternative was considered, but it seems the effort needed plus the time element to quickly restock it was decided cooking the food was going to be quicker as we had 3 kitchen locations nearby and staff to get the job done.
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
    RRP said:
    Seems like as good of a time as any to bring up something that probably isn't common knowledge. At least in our state it is illegal to just pitch that questionable raw meat in the garbage which gets dumped at a community waste disposal. It has to be cooked first...even though you think/know it is bad! Years ago in another life in the public sector we had the proverbial lost of power and lost nearly 2 tons of raw beef, pork, and fish. That loss drew the attention of the health dept authorities. That's why we had to spend $$$ to staff for overtime around the clock to cook up all that food on a weekend. That way the food inspectors could come back on Monday to watch the dump trucks haul off cooked meat of questionable qualitity! Granted a home freezer loss would fly under that radar, but I was just sharing the "law".

Precook before discarding?????????????

Them IL  laws don't play well here in Jawja.  I'd put the dead meat on the street & some local cafeteria  would be preppin it for stew by 4pm  :-)

We tear tags off mattresses with impunity too  you carpetbaggers  :-)

Will be contacting you about a LBGE gasket in a few weeks  thanks for all you do for the forum Ron.

Doug J

LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • RRP
    Options
    swordsmn said:

Will be contacting you about a LBGE gasket in a few weeks 

Doug J

Fine! I just restocked with another 471 feet! 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    You thaw meat before cooking it, right? You pull thawed meat from the fridge and let come to room temp before grilling. How is that different than the meat thawing from a freezer door being partly open?
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• RRP
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    You thaw meat before cooking it, right? You pull thawed meat from the fridge and let come to room temp before grilling. How is that different than the meat thawing from a freezer door being partly open?
    Yes you thaw it and then cook it. He found it thawing for maybe up to 8 hours and then he re-froze it. The issue hinged on what bacteria may have, could have or whatever during that time. Refreezing wouldn't killed the nasties. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    In my industry if a box & product is out of temp over 4 hrs the product is disposed of period. Clearly there has to be some common sense and logical reasoning involved before just hastily dumping the whole box. Better to be safe than to get somebody extremely sick. 
    And I'm sorry to hear that happened. Freezer door alarm has saved me more than once.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Deviledegger
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone.  Even though I don't like how it sounds.  I wouldn't be able to feedrit to anyone but myself so I'm thinking it's all getting pitched in the trash.  To add insult to injury I had my deer packaged this year because I didn't have enough time to cut it up myself.  Price of meat per lb. X lbs. of meat + $120
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    That's a shame but, better to err on the side of caution in a case like this.
    edited August 2015
    Options
    For commercial use it would definitely be trashed.  For personal use I would pitch ground beef but whole pieces of meat that have not been mechanically tenderized I would be o.k. with refreezing your comfort level may differ.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Sorry for your loss but I wouldn't be worried about the beef or venison.  I'd pitch the chicken and pork, if any of it was completely thawed. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Deviledegger
    Options
    All of the venison was vacuum sealed.  Does that helpwith the starting of bacteria?
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    All of the venison was vacuum sealed.  Does that helpwith the starting of bacteria?
    I believe it would reduce the risk.