Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pumpkin Beer and Octoberfest already....

Options
Pumpkin beer and Octoberfests are already showing up in stores around me. These are a couple of my favorite beverages and makes me worry that come Halloween they will be long gone. 
I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Time to stock up!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Merry Christmas. ..bet next month they will start rolling out Christmas stuff :|
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I stock up so I have enough to get me to Xmas!  They are great once the weather cools down. Marzen not so good in the heat. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    That reminds me I've been bottle aging some Southern Tier Pumpking since last fall. Mmmm....
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Meeeshigan22
    Options
    so many of the microbrews are making a pumpkin and octoberfest these days, should be no shortage of supply. 

it's great trying all of the different recipes. 
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    DMW said:
    That reminds me I've been bottle aging some Southern Tier Pumpking since last fall. Mmmm....
    Last year's batch was cloyingly sweet. I hope this year's is better. I had saved a bottle as well and is did mellow a bit when I drank it a couple of weeks ago.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    i like the pumpkin but every batch seems to come out different year to year. seems i have to buy them all til i settle in on one each year
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    i like the pumpkin but every batch seems to come out different year to year. seems i have to buy them all til i settle in on one each year
    Dogfish Head Punkin Ale has been the most consistent for me. Plus, it's very drinkable. I had Flying Dog's Gourd Standard and The Fear at there tasting room, both are good this year. Gourd Standard is a Pumpkin IPA, which is nice since most are standard or imperial ales.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    pumpkin ipa sounds interesting.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I absolutely love pumpkin pie and pumpkin seeds. With that said, I have never tried pumpkin beer or any pumpkin drink for that matter. After reading all the praises above for the pumpkin beer above, I'm going to give it a try myself. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Ivanhoe
    Ivanhoe Posts: 223
    Options
    love me some pumpkin beer =)
    Tulare, CA - Large BGE
  • Pinkfacemark
    Options
    A place by me had it on tap already.... It was just as good as I remembered it, but seems really EARLY.....
    Large BGE from Normal, IL 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I heard Costco has 28 packs...
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    edited August 2015
    Options
    A place by me had it on tap already.... It was just as good as I remembered it, but seems really EARLY.....
    Way too early for pumpkin ales for me. I think they should be for Halloween through Thanksgiving.  

Octoberfest does start in early September, so it isn't real early for the Märzens to be in the stores. I did pick up some of my favorite today - now in the frig among the essentials.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• clifkincaid
    Options
    @SGH You will need to try a few different pumpkin ales. They are not equal. But you will find one that is great if you try enough. I like to just have 1 or 2 then my regular beers after.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @SGH You will need to try a few different pumpkin ales. They are not equal. But you will find one that is great if you try enough. I like to just have 1 or 2 then my regular beers after.

I'm sure going to give them a try my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Saw 28 packs of Sam Octoberfest at Sams, $26.  Fall camping, a fire, and SA Octoberfest.  Can't be beat!

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• kbutler84
    kbutler84 Posts: 140
    Options
    Would anyone be willing to pick some dog fish head punkin and ship it to me? I can't get it here and would be most appreciative!
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    Too hot for it but I did drink a dozen Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest last weekend. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Waaaaay to early. It was a freaking hundred degrees the other day we went to mellow mushroom. Ordered a SA summer ale. They brought me Oktoberfest. Said they'd already made the switch. Boooooo
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Gman2
    Gman2 Posts: 421
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Waaaaay to early. It was a freaking hundred degrees the other day we went to mellow mushroom. Ordered a SA summer ale. They brought me Oktoberfest. Said they'd already made the switch. Boooooo
    I totally agree, I have a personal thing that I will not drink a pumpkin or fall brew until September, I saw the pumpking yesterday and grabbed a bottle. God I love that stuff!!
    broke my rule, what the hell!! 
    LBGE, Mechanicsville, Va., LBGE, Duck, NC, XLBGE Wake, Va.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Definitely a cooler weather beer. I think it was about 4 years ago SA came out the Oktoberfest in late September....and was out by mid October. Ever since, they have been offering it up sooner....and making sure supply runs well into November. They had the positive problem (great beer) and fixed in years since. I picked up some last weekend. I think late October is when you need to invest in some multi case stash for the holiday festivities. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow