Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- cast iron noob

Options
johnnyp
johnnyp Posts: 3,932
I've never bought cast iron cookware before, but found some of my grandmothers in my moms closet.  It's now found a new home in my kitchen and I am seasoning 2 of 6 pieces as we speak.  Wish me luck.

what I've done so far......

1) scoured them with brillo

2) washed and dried.

3) applied thin layer of vegetable oil with a paper towel 

4) currently, they are baking at 350 to set the non stick coat.

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA

Comments

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options

You will love it!  Good luck.

(My favorite is brownies, baked on the egg, in cast iron)

Clinton, Iowa
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    hey @johnnyp   old CI is the best CI, imho.  

I do what you're doing, but with bacon fat, flaxseed oil, or lard.  I bake for 2 hours, let it cool completely on the grill.  Then I repeat another 4 times.

When you're done, you'll have a pan that is super easy to clean (especially with a ringer - look on amazon)

good luck
    Phoenix 
  • BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options
    You're gonna hate it. I'll take it off your hands so you don't have to fool with all that mess.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Nice score. Remember to never use soap on it and enjoy!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Let them fully cool in the oven after baking for the hour or so. Keep repeating the process to make it even more non-stick.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I use soap all the time if it's a real mess. Just dry on stovetop and re oil and bake. 
  • johnnyp
    Options
    Hey guys quick question. One of the skillets has a wooden handle. Is this safe for oven curing and use on the egg?

if not, any pointers?
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    If using direct, I wrap that handle in foil. Not sure about oven. 

You don't look like the Johnnys I know.  =)
  • johnnyp
    Options
    Haha. That's my lovely fiancé 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    Hey guys quick question. One of the skillets has a wooden handle. Is this safe for oven curing and use on the egg?

if not, any pointers?
    Sorry, what was the question?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Do a couple of seasoning runs. From what I've read, the oil polymerizes down into the iron crystal gaps. The original Teflon. After a few seasonings, ordinary frying use thickens the coat. Worst case, acid foods or immersion in water gets thru the coating. Just scour or sand, and re-season.

Looks to me like the wooden handle is a later addition. Perhaps it can be unscrewed before the pan seasoning. Wood can be used in a 400F-ish temperature, but it will slowly char. Eventually, it will ignite. Consider the handle expendable.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Agree handle likely will unscrew and if not wrap it well in foil. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited August 2015
    Options
    johnnyp said:

if not, any pointers?
    350 in the oven should be safe.  

I had a whole set of wood handled Made in Taiwan skillets, saucepots, lids, indentical to that as part of a bulk deal off CL.

Never did use them, and eventually ended up at Goodwill still unseasoned. Heard a lot of bad juju about Made in Taiwan CI on the Griswold forum when I first bought them. 

I'm sure properly seasoned, they would work just fine.  

On the egg, you would have to roll raised direct at the felt line to keep the handle off the flame.  I do that on the small with a Wagner griddle pan with handle.  The egg works as a woodburner stove eye.

Seasoned a new CI bacon press with wood handle at 550.  The handle burned a little, turned dark, works fine.

Dig your wall oven and cabinet selection.  My hot mess of a kitchen is similar. Replaced the old oven a few years ago after it broke down....was an older Magic Chef. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• fergi
    fergi Posts: 138
    Options

I turn mine upside down in the oven so oil doesn't pool in the bottom of the pan.

Fort Worth Texas

Large & XL Green Egg

• johnnyp
    Options
    fergi said:

I turn mine upside down in the oven so oil doesn't pool in the bottom of the pan.

Ditto

• BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    fergi said:

Ditto

Looks like an old Birmingham Stove and Range piece?
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
  • johnnyp
    Options
    It's a Hotpoint oven.  My range is opposite the oven and is a Tappan
  • BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options
    I was referring to the skillet. The bottom of the handle looks like the old Birmingham stove and range handle. 
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
  • johnnyp
    Options
    Oh, well, I have no idea. These things are definitely pre 1960 and all writing or markings are long gone