Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib roast on the BGE?

Options
2»

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Ivanhoe said:
    What's the guesstimate on time / lb. at a 250 deg cook?

@Ivanhoe, once the roast is longer than it is thick, more length doesn't really add much time.  With that said, at 250 the average rib roast could take 60-150 minutes depending on how thick and your starting temp (is it straight from a refrigerator at 34 degrees, or did it warm up on the counter to room temp?).  I usually start 3 hours before I plan to serve and FTC it when I get done early.

Another thing that was alluded to above is that not all of us reverse sear.  I've gotten away from doing that, because when you sear a piece of meat that fatty, it typically catches fire.  If you do it, have at least two spatulas and a surface where you can set it down after you emergently take it out of the egg 

At this point I make a paste with my rub and some olive oil and slather it on.  Then when the meat temp gets to about 90 I open the vents some and let the egg get up to around 400 and pull when the center of the meat is 115-120.   Doing it this way, the outside gets enough crust for me and my gang.  The meat rises about 10 more degrees such that the middle is on the rare side of medium rare.  Then when we slice it, the two end slices are medium (pushing medium well) on the cut surface, the center is near rare and there is some medium rare to medium in between.  That allows me to ask each person "How do you want yours cooked?" and give them the right slice to meet their request.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Ivanhoe
    Ivanhoe Posts: 223
    Options
    @Foghorn - great info, thanks! I knew there would be many variables. I have a couple family members that have to eat dinner fairly early so timing is always important.
    Tulare, CA - Large BGE
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    >once the roast is longer than it is thick, more length doesn't really add much time

yep.  this is important to understand w/r/t a roast.  it's like... a mile long hotdog cooks as fast as a regular one. length won't impact cook time very much, except for maybe recovery time putting on twice as much cold meat.

>I've gotten away from doing that, because when you sear a piece of meat that fatty, it typically catches fire.

this too.  black is burnt.  brown is roasted and still has flavor.  you want a good crust, not black burnt meat.  it's not a steak, where you are searing flesh.  a good portion of it is bone and fat (if you get a nice layer of fat on it).

a good dry browned crust can be had by drying the roast for just a couple days, even just 24 hours if you are short on time.  fat is mostly water.  water has no flavor.  let the surface dry out and you'll get a great brown crust with no trouble, even at low temps (especially at low temps actually).

and going slow gives you much better cross section of meat.  i could cook a rib eye to 125 internal in twenty seconds with the right cooker (the sun, a rocket engine, etc.).  the exterior would be toast, and most of the interior grey, with a tiny core of good stuff in the center.

but at 225-250? deep mahogany brown exterior, a very thin layer of overdone beef under that (if any), and the rest is to temp all the way across.

it also removes 100% of the screwing around cooking time (which no one wants for christmas dinner for ex.), and allows you to put it on and tend to other things, as well as minimize carry over.  searing at the end over high heat adds a shungload of heat at the end that the already finished interior meat doesn't need.

some sear first, or put in a 500 degre oven and then immediately set vents for 250, so they get a blast of hot roast temp at the start then cruise the rest of the way.  but i have found there's no gain if what i want is a classic deep browned roast that's rare or med-rare all the way across
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• GuitarEC
    GuitarEC Posts: 122
    Options
    @IvanhoeMy Prime Rib cook was at 275 - 4 lb 1 oz roast to 130 IT in 2 hours.  For what it's worth.

Eric "GuitarEC"
    Metro Atl., Ga.
  • Ivanhoe
    Ivanhoe Posts: 223
    Options
    Thanks @GuitarEC !
    Tulare, CA - Large BGE
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    SGH said:
    ... Hard to go wrong with prime rib as long as you don't over cook it.  
    @SGH - what temp would you pull at to avoid overcooking?
    New Orleans LA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Dondgc said:
    @SGH - what temp would you pull at to avoid overcooking?
    That kind of depends on how you like it. I like mine on the rare side. I pull around 120 internal, however this is pretty rare. When you eat steak, do you cook them rare, medium or well done? If I know what level of donenes you prefer, I can give you a real close temp. Not everyone prefers rare. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    SGH said:
    If I know what level of donenes you prefer, I can give you a real close temp. Not everyone prefers rare. 
    @SGH - Rare. 
    New Orleans LA
  • SGH
    Options
    Dondgc said:
    @SGH - Rare. 
    With that said, pull it at 120 internal. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    somebody say prime rib? This was the 2 pound boneless I egged Saturday night! Then plated with my own updated version of au jus plus a horseradish & sour cream dipping sauce on the side! Oh what a night's feast that was!!!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SGH
    Options
    RRP said:
    somebody say prime rib? This was the 2 pound boneless I egged Saturday night! Then plated with my own updated version of au jus plus a horseradish & sour cream dipping sauce on the side! Oh what a night's feast that was!!!

Now you are just showing off ;) Looks great brother. 

Status- Standing by.

• pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options

The talent  level of these cooks documented with pics are incredible....I say congrat's to a lot of people on this thread....Well Done

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC