Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hatch chilies

Options

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Tony get to a good Central Market. They have everything Hatch. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Love all things Hatch. Favorite is to stuff then cook on Egg. 
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    Just got back from HEB, they have the little booth and roaster all setup out front with no chiles in sight.  Just a sign that apologizes for a one week delay in getting hatch peppers as the growing season is a little late due to colder than normal temps and more rain than normal.  One more week.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Central Market on N. Lamar was roasting them today.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Legume
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    Central Market on N. Lamar was roasting them today.
    Figures, I'm sure HEB sent what they could get to CM first.  I may try the one on S Lamar.
  • NCSmoky
    NCSmoky Posts: 515
    Options
    Just brought these back fresh from Taos. Not too worse for wear after the long plane ride. 1/4 bushel was $7, figured that would be the most I could carry with me on the plane. Any advice on preserving these? Can I freeze them?

• Legume
    Options
    NCSmoky said:
     Any advice on preserving these? Can I freeze them?

Nice score.  Roast them, peel them, vacu-seal them, then you can freeze them.  They hold well.
  • NCSmoky
    NCSmoky Posts: 515
    Options
    Thanks @Legume If I didn't have to fly with them cross country I would have brought back more. A whole bushel was $25 and they were all over the place.
  • jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Options
    For anyone in the Dallas area - I saw raw Hatch's at Central Market in Plano for 99 cents/pound this weekend.  They had mild and hot.

They also have the roasters setup out front - smells so good.  I feel for those guys doing the roasting though.  It was 104 degrees yesterday and they're sitting there roasting with propane.  I'll prob go back and get some roasted ones to vacuum seal and put in the freezer.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • Satch_Q
    Satch_Q Posts: 105
    Options
    I'm an old chile addict but new to the egg so I'll jump right in and offer what I can. Even though I wasn't a member for the first few months of ownership, this forum has been my go to info and has turn sure disaster into fantastic food.

For those planning on stocking the freezer, roast and let steam in a paper bag for 10-15min then go directly to the vacuum sealer with the skins on. Three advantages to leaving the skin on. First and most important, they will retain better/smokies flavor over the long haul. The crystalization of the ice will make it even easier to remove the skin once thawed. And, it sure feels like a lot less work to peel as needed rather than all at once.

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    @Satch_Q - thanks for the info. I have 10# of hatch coming my way right after the harvest and I was planning to peel after roasting and then to vacuum seal.  I'll take your advice and leave the skin on now.   After thawing, what is the easiest way to peel?  Also, how long will they keep in freezer?  Thanks again. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    I've been purchasing & freezing Hatch Chile for 20 years. I'm fortunate to be in an area of the country that has them when in season.
    I purchase a 30 or 40 pound bag annually and have them roasted onsite. After roasting they are placed in a big garbage bag then placed in a box for transport. 
    When home they are still hot from the roasting. I fill a quart size ZipLock bag with 6-8 chilies skin on and still hot. As I zip the bag, I'll suck out as much air as possible. Then take a Gallon ZipLock bag & fill with 5-6 of the filled quart bags & suck out air again. This will form a brick of chile after frozen. I usually get 6-8 separate bricks from 30-40# of chile. Then to the freezer, still warm. I stack the bricks uniformly.
    I've kept frozen chile over 18 months with this method. No freezer burn.
    When it's time to use, pull a brick, set on counter for an hour or so to slightly thaw, open the gallon bag, pull out a quart bag or two. Place remainder of brick back into freezer.
    I'll toss the quart filled frozen chile into a tub of cold water to thaw completely. Dump out the thawed chile in tub, peel skin off, cut a slit around the stem, pull the veins and seed pod out, rinse remaining seeds in a stream of water, set aside & repeat.
    I recommend NOT removing the skin prior to freezing. The skin helps protect the chile while frozen & helps maintain the firmness of the flesh.
     :) 
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • Satch_Q
    Options
    4Runner said:
    @Satch_Q - thanks for the info. I have 10# of hatch coming my way right after the harvest and I was planning to peel after roasting and then to vacuum seal.  I'll take your advice and leave the skin on now.   After thawing, what is the easiest way to peel?  Also, how long will they keep in freezer?  Thanks again. 
    After the thaw just grab a bit of the loose skin and peel away. Once you get a feel for the strength of the chiles you can actually start at the top, make sure the skin is loose all the way around, place the thumb and a couple fingers around the chile and pull it all off at once. That is, if they are roasted properly. It may also be a good idea to wear some latex or nitrile gloves. Most varieties of the NM chiles are mild but if your peeling enough the heat will build or you may touch something you shouldn't have. Don't ask how I know! When roasting your just looking to blister the skin and separate it from the meat that is all. You don't want to actually cook the chile. After pulling them from the heat put them in a paper grocery sack or a ziplock bag and let them steam for a bit. Some swear by giving them an plunge in an ice bath to stop the cooking. It works and it leads to the meat of the chile being a little crisper but the water bath will strip some flavor. It's a personal preference and I choose not to do it. Also don't be afraid to blacken the entire skin, they peel easier. If you over do it the skin will cook to the meat. It's easy to get the feel for it just go slow and only attempt one or two chiles at a time until you get an idea.

The charred couple in the middle is about as far as you want to go. Get close to that and they will be perfect. The skin blackens quickly after it blisters so watch for that. The higher the heat the better as well. Coals like lava. 
  • Legume
    Options
    Damn, learned something here again.  Sounds like it's easier and better to leave the skin on for freezing, love that.  I hate peeling lots of them.

Thanks!
  • Durangler
    Options
    Yes, @Legume peel as needed after the freeze.
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    henapple said:
    The season is almost here. If you haven't tried these... I would recommend it. It takes a while on the egg but roast them with smoke. I used hickory last year and a friend that grew up in NM said they were the best he'd had. Don't be hesitant to go heavy on the smoke either. I've got 100 lbs in the bullpen. 
    Roast and pull the skin, wrap in paper towels in a baggie or paper bag, peel and freeze. Unbelievable in chili or on burgers... Or about anything. 
    Hey henapple, when I roast them let them cool then freeze them 10 in a bag. When I defrost them the skin just comes off so easy

Ross
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Good to know... 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • 4Runner
    Options
    thanks for all the info.  Mine are shipping soon.  I have roasted chiles before but always peeled, diced and threw them in my chili.  Never froze for later use and never hatch chiles.   
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
  • 4Runner
    Options
    Satch_Q said:
    4Runner said:
    After the thaw just grab a bit of the loose skin and peel away. Once you get a feel for the strength of the chiles you can actually start at the top, make sure the skin is loose all the way around, place the thumb and a couple fingers around the chile and pull it all off at once. That is, if they are roasted properly. It may also be a good idea to wear some latex or nitrile gloves. Most varieties of the NM chiles are mild but if your peeling enough the heat will build or you may touch something you shouldn't have. Don't ask how I know! When roasting your just looking to blister the skin and separate it from the meat that is all. You don't want to actually cook the chile. After pulling them from the heat put them in a paper grocery sack or a ziplock bag and let them steam for a bit. Some swear by giving them an plunge in an ice bath to stop the cooking. It works and it leads to the meat of the chile being a little crisper but the water bath will strip some flavor. It's a personal preference and I choose not to do it. Also don't be afraid to blacken the entire skin, they peel easier. If you over do it the skin will cook to the meat. It's easy to get the feel for it just go slow and only attempt one or two chiles at a time until you get an idea.

The charred couple in the middle is about as far as you want to go. Get close to that and they will be perfect. The skin blackens quickly after it blisters so watch for that. The higher the heat the better as well. Coals like lava. 
    @Satch_Q  - Just finished roasting....they are in glass container wrapped with cling wrap steaming away.  Here is a shot of the first batch right after a turn.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @Satch_Q I did your method last year to surprise my wife with fresh roasted Hatch. Although she was very appreciative it'll from now on be roasted, sweat, peel and vac save into portions.  Growing up in Taos that's how my wife's family did it.  Once it's done it's done.  6 & 1/2 dozen the other. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • 4Runner
    Options
    My second 5# box of hatch just arrived. I'll try both methods.  Did you freeze them whole or diced?)
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    4Runner said:
    My second 5# box of hatch just arrived. I'll try both methods.  Did you freeze them whole or diced?)
    I go whole on the meaty ones that could be used as rellenos. The others can be diced now or later (makes no difference). We label the whole as relleno or whole for easy identification. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Satch_Q
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL It's all good either way. Waiting to peel is really just a personal preference. The determining factor for me is how much we have to process at a time. Last year we put up an entire standing freezer full. Top to bottom packaged in bags of ten there was no unused space. It just saves time for us but it does protect the meat and retain more flavor. I also use a propane chile roaster unless I'm only doing a dozen or so. I don't know that they really pick up any of the wood fired flavor in the short time they are over the fire. 
    I think the majority of the flavor in roasted chile comes from the burning of the skins and the carmalizing of the sugars contained within.
  • Satch_Q
    Options
    4Runner said:
    Satch_Q said:
    4Runner said:

@Satch_Q  - Just finished roasting....they are in glass container wrapped with cling wrap steaming away.  Here is a shot of the first batch right after a turn.

They look so good I can smell them from here!
  • Durangler
    Options
    I'll be picking up a sack in about 3 hours. 30 to 35# $25 roasted. Will get them home still hot & begin the bagging process. I can smell'em now! 
  • 4Runner
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Ok. I caved after peeling 3 chiles knowing after 5 # I had another 5# to roast, steam and peel so I just bagged 2 per with skins on and vacuum sealed.  I did have an issue with the juice getting sucked up to the sealing bar so I ended up double bagging. Sure wish I had a chamber Vacmaster. 
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Durangler and @Satch_Q  . . . also - sweet propane chile roaster !
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • 4Runner
    Options
    oh yea....nice setup for sure.
  • Satch_Q
    Options
    @4Runner we have the same issue with the liquid. What we do is cut strips of paper towel the width of the bag and double it over. Place the paper just inside of where it will seal. Not in the area of the seal but just inside of the area to be sealed. Vac and seal as normal. The juices will stop at the paper before it seals. If they don't, use a little more paper. We make our bags big enough so the towel doesn't make contact with the chiles. We have been doing it that way for years now with no problems. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Satch_Q Holy Shite Batman that's a boat load of Hatch man!  I roasted one bushel earlier this week and just picked up a 2nd bushel today that I'll roast probably Saturday after the demo or on Sunday (haven't decided). Each bushel is around 25#  & 2 should be plenty for us. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014