Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RD "Membership" Question

I have a friend who is a business owner and a RD member in another state. She had an extra RD membership card and kindly sent it to me. I haven't yet tried to use it though I have heard of plenty of others on these forums getting access in this way. Most "official" members I have heard about (including my friend) have nothing to do with the food business, though they do HAVE a business, and just get extra cards and pass them out to friends.

Have any of you gotten in the door this way and know how it works? Do I just show up, fill up a cart and show "my" ID and a pile of cash at checkout? Does anyone challenge your membership or know (or care) that it's from out of state (WAY out of state)? Don't they raise an eyebrow when I'm supposed to be a food business and I'm just trying to buy a salmon filet for dinner tonight? If I have to spend a couple hundred bucks whenever I go, I'll never go.

Or am I overthinking this? :rofl: Appreciate any insight. Thanks!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited August 2015
    Overthinking.  I'm on member Ripmens account. Cookn_Biker is also on the account and she's in Colorado. You just walk in and show them your card. No worries 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Yup .. I have a card through my church .. they just scan the card (no photo on the card) and I pay with my credit card and off I go .. no questions asked.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564

All you will need to do is scan the RD card upon entering and give to the cashier when you check out. Also you need to pay sales tax on your purchase so the original member is not liable for your tax burden. If asked, you do small catering work, but no one will ask.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Thanks, guys. The reason I asked was because I stopped in once just to look around and the fish monger was asking about my business. Just idle conversation I guess.

Hotch, they don't charge tax unless I tell them to? No, I'm not trying to stiff my friend, just not familiar with how they differentiate between taxable or not. I don't remember seeing a card reader on my way in before. I just walked in and wandered around, then left.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    edited August 2015

Depends on state tax laws. Texas has no sales tax on non prepared food. If you purchase gear or disposable items, tax may be required. Just tell them you pay tax, no big deal here DFW. The want your business and really don't care who or what you do.

When we signed up, we put catering on the paperwork. You will also see a lot of food trucks and roach coaches buying some product there.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Carolina Q
    ok, thanks again.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• What is "RD"?
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    What is "RD"?
    Restaurant Depot
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    What is "RD"?
    Went for my first time yesterday. I was amazed. You can sign up for a KCBS membership ($35/year) and use that for a one day pass...any day of the year. You could go in every day with the free one day pass, you just have to get a temp pass every time you go in. and honestly, I just told the girl I was a KCBS member and she did not require me to show proof (although I did actually sign up and pay the $35 solely for being able to go to RD). Anyway, the meat was cheap. Angus brisket for $2.99/pound! WHAT? It is normally $5-$15/pound where I live. Pork but was $1.45/pound. HUH? amazing. They were actually out of the angus brisket but I will be going back sunday when it is back in stock.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    I was doing a charity cook and went to see about a membership. They gave me one without a tax id. Maybe I just got lucky, or doing the charity cook qualified me, I'm not sure but it cost me nothing and never expires. I did need a company name so I listed Hungry Joe. :)
  • Carolina Q
    edited August 2015
    What is "RD"?
    Sorry, I guess I should have spelled it out, but I figured anyone who didn't know what RD was wouldn't know the answers to my questions anyway. :)

If you want to see what the store nearest you has in their monthly flyer, go here, scroll down a ways and click here...

Pick a store from the drop downs and have a look. They have TONS more than what you see in the flyer. The site also has a virtual tour of one of their stores.

Yet another place to spend money.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    I went in to confirm the kcbs deal and they suggested I just join directly - I told them my biz had zero to do with food - no problem, here's your card.  I've found it to be similar to costco, in that some things are ridic cheap, other things about avg.
    Phoenix 
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    I was chatted up by the fish monger at the Richmond store but he seemed genuinely interested in how I was going to cook it.  These are not high paying jobs and I think the very FEW people who actually interact with RD's customers (fish mongers and cashiers) actually are interested to learn from the restaurant professionals who buy there. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Hotch said:

roach coaches 

??? whatsthat?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    @RRP lunch truck = roach coach

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    edited August 2015
    unfortunately, there was a reason some of these were called roach coaches....

I once worked at a small drive-in diner/burger joint and we had roach coaches call us and order 25 - 50 of our "baby burgers" (similiar to the McD "regular") 2-3 times a week. I believe they were maybe $.50-$.60 each. He usually gave me a $2-$3 tip.  

I started working there when I was 12 and by the time I was 13yrs old, I was running/closing this place by myself from about 5pm til close at 8pm 4-5 nights a week while making a WHOPPING $.75/hr. For a while, my younger brother worked for me.  Dinner was included, which, in my case was typically one of the big burgers, fries and a hand-dipped black and white - in the mixing tin.  DANG Good!!!!!  
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    onedbguru said:
     while making a WHOPPING $.75/hr
    I recall when I was a freshman in college in 1962 working for 50 cents and hour for the university! I tell people that now and they shake their heads, but that's OK because I'm shaking my head as well saying whatthehellwasIthinking:o
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    But that was when gasoline was 20-25¢ a gallon! My first "real" job out of college a few years later paid $7800... a year!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    edited August 2015
    Recently joined KCBS for this benefit. Just went to RD in Norcross for first time today.  
    Whoever said bring a jacket for the meat locker area was spot on - darn cold in there.
    I think bone-in butt was $1.19.  Decent deals on spices albeit more bulk than I need.  
    I took the sasil and fellow egger @guitarec and we found several items we might go in on and repackage into smaller portions with my ye ol vacmaster.  

This may be fun and it'll keep the vacmaster from getting lonely.    All I bought today was a bussing tray for $3.29 and two basic knives by Dexter - a flex boning and a smaller basic butcher knife.   My knife collection is minimal.
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    @RRP lunch truck = roach coach

Back during the recession, the roach coaches had to come up with a new game plan when the construction boom stopped. They converted to fruit and veggie trucks and made the rounds to all of the senior living facilities. Pretty dang good idea. 
  • GuitarEC
    GuitarEC Posts: 122
    @swordsmn - Yea, between RD, TMM, PMM, Sam's and Costco - I think we have all our bulk food purchase needs handled...

Eric "GuitarEC"
    Metro Atl., Ga.
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    My esteemed SASIL (smart azz son in law)  refers to Tucker and Pattons Meat Markets.

LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL