Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does anyone else tune out as soon as you read Sous Vide? (SV)

Options
13»

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Carrot ^ quality is all over the board now days.  They have such a long shelf life we often don't get them fresh enough to have the quality they have when pulled out of the ground.
    Options
    ^^That is exactly why yoga pants are made^^

Speaking of carrots:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak-KOP8NjsI 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    A sous vide is much like @Nolaegghead... It's another tool.  ;)
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    henapple said:
    A sous vide is much like @Nolaegghead... It's another tool.  ;)
    Thanks for the laugh today.  Much needed and appreciated!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    Here are some yoga pants.  :open_mouth:

Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    The wife thinks we go for the classes  =) 

http://thechive.com/?s=yoga+pants  

Hermosa Beach CA 
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Can a crock pot on "low" be used for SV, or is low still too high?  Never tried SV, I guess I love fire too much. And like others above, Jethro can't pronounce Sioiuexus Vidass.  
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    JethroVA said:
    Can a crock pot on "low" be used for SV, or is low still too high?  Never tried SV, I guess I love fire too much.   
    I tried my crock pot. Low isn't low enough.

If you just want to experiment, throw a steak in a zip bag and into a cooler with water that's just below your desired done temp. Leave it for an hour (check water temp occasionally and add hot water as needed). Then, sear briefly (stovetop CI skillet or egg). It'll be great! Assuming you are cooking a decent steak. :)

Like this from Kenji... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub8OaUtiNB8

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I had pretty good luck using a CI dutch oven and just manually controlling the temp on the simmer burner.  With the lid on the dutch oven and just a small flame I dialed into 132-134 for an hour pretty easily.  I would just check it with the thermapen every so often and make small adjustments. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SandyHookEgger
    Options
    KiterTodd said:

Or not.

Big girls spandex is not your friend!
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    Why do people keep quoting Fred's post?  Seriously - WTF is wrong with you people?!?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    Why do people keep quoting Fred's post?  Seriously - WTF is wrong with you people?!?

That's some nasty stuff. Would have sprinkle it with baby powder and then page thru it to find the wet spot.
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    They like to look.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    That's a serious new low for you @Mikee
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Mikee
    Options
    Jeremiah said:

Thanks!
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Options
    Going to try those spares. Need something else to smoke when I fire up the egg.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • Mikee
    Options
    Jeremiah said:

If the baby powder offended you, your wife may like using corn starch.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Sv is the way to do a steak. The cast iron sear is amazing. 

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    IMO SV is great for cooking steaks when you are doing multiple steaks, say for a dinner party. Your ensured consistency and it takes the pressure off of the timing. But I think for 1 or 2 steaks, a reverse sear provides for a better overall taste. SV really shines on tougher cuts/or those with little fat. Chicken, pork chops, flank steak, filets, even brisket. For a ribeye, reverse sear does a better job of melting the fat into the meat. 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Raymont said:
    IMO SV is great for cooking steaks when you are doing multiple steaks, say for a dinner party. Your ensured consistency and it takes the pressure off of the timing. But I think for 1 or 2 steaks, a reverse sear provides for a better overall taste. SV really shines on tougher cuts/or those with little fat. Chicken, pork chops, flank steak, filets, even brisket. For a ribeye, reverse sear does a better job of melting the fat into the meat. 
    I agree with you 110% !!!  Perfectly worded about S.V. "dinner party" benefit, but I have done fillets/ribeyes both ways . .  and reverse sear is my favorite. Wit that said, a FLANK done SV then Cast Iron Sear . . Oweeeee !

Welp looks like I just re-wrote your post  :s
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Mikee said:
    Jeremiah said:

Damn you are a douche bag. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • MrMike
    MrMike Posts: 10
    Options
    I've never questioned anyone's methods for prepping food. I could care less if you make it in the microwave, if it looks and tastes good I'm all over it.
    I think you mean "could not" care less. To be able to care less means that you do care.
    Yes you are correct. Well played.  =)

• MrMike
    MrMike Posts: 10
    Options
    sous vide........no thanks!
  • Mikee
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Mikee said:
    Jeremiah said:

Damn you are a douche bag. 

I am so, so sorry if I hit the nail on the head. Just keep posting your negative comments and attacking me. You've been dishing out to me for the last 8 months.
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Hey guys,
    You got me very excited about SV carrots, so a bought a big bunch at the farmer's market this weekend. Does anyone have a recipe they can send or post?

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    My yoga instructor convinced me to buy around $1000 of SV equipment.
    It performs flawlessly. The steak comes out perfect every time.
    It's a real shame they have very little flavor, even when finished for a minute on the egg, but at least they are perfectly cooked. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @Black_Badger Peel them, trim the ends.   Sprinkle sea salt, pepper and some sugar - I used honey.  Add some pats of butter and the seasoned carrots to the bag.  Cook at 183F for 1 to 1.5 hours, pull the bag out now and then and check how they bend, the easier they bend the more they are cooked.  Don't over cook.

Pull out when they're how you like them....slightly more firm than you're shooting for because you next saute them in the juice from the bag.  You can add some fresh butter and a little more sugar if you want.  The sugar will caramelize.  Cook until you get a nice roast on the outside.  Serve.

The cooking will increase the sweetness as some of the carbs convert to sugars.