Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib roast on the BGE?

Options
Has anyone done a Prime Rub roast on the BGE?  I've seen many butt and brisket posts, but never any prime rib roasts.  Why so?  Do folks not like prime rib as much as butt or brisket? 

I would think a prime rib roast would come out awesome on the BGE... This came across my mind while eating at the House of Prime Rib in SF last night.

btw - if any of you are in the Bay Area you HAVE to eat at the House of Prime Rib.  
#1) the best prime rib I've ever had - second to none.
#2) great sides - each meal includes 2 sides (cream spinach and mash are my favorites), Yorkshire pudding, and cornbread.
#3) You get FREE seconds - if you finish your meal you can ask for another (smaller) slice for FREE!
#4)  I've been there many times and the quality and service are always consistent
#5) the restaurant has been ther since the 40s and has a nice atmosphere.  Plus they have these steel "blimp" looking carts from which they serve the meat from

Here's a plate pic - I get the English cut (thinner slices) vs the House of Prime Rib or the King Henry cut.  

Here's a pic of my second plate.

MM & XL BGE, Bay Area CA

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Yes, a lot of people do prime rib on the egg; both bone in and boneless. When I've done them I use the reverse sear method... always turn out great.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Prime Rib Roast on the BGE is outstanding! I do a reverse sear first going raised indirect at 250* to IT of 115. Rest it, take out indirect stone and get BGE to 550*. Then sear all sides for about a minute a side. I sear on a cast iron grid on a spider. It is excellent rare/medium rare end to end. Slice and serve with horseradish sauce. Excellent!
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Great pics, @jollygreenegg.
    Never heard of House of PR, but next time we're there, we'll certainly check it out. 
    I have done prime rib on my BGE a few times.
    Like TOTN says, reverse sear works very well.
    Try it.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    one of the most popular cooks on the egg, and pretty easy despite the cost.

i go slow all the way, usually after aging it a month or more (dry).  nice crust, no burning, no searing...  it's an unbeatable cook.
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    Options
    The hardest part about cooking Prime Rib is buying it!
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    edited August 2015
    Options
    That's my mother in laws birthday meal every year. Reverse sear like others have said, pull a few degrees short of your desired temp as it will continue to rise after taking it off the grill. Freaking fantastic.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • MRbge
    MRbge Posts: 40
    Options
    A rib roast is my next project.  The amazing ribs website has a good article on cooking one.  Also some good you tubes.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    It's been so long since I did one, I don't even remember how I cooked it. But it was mighty tasty!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i usually settle for the smallest two bone piece i can find and trex it like a steak

100_1643jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    I have done probably 15 or so on my egg.  Never with bones though as I just have never seen them offered around here with the bones.  Generally they are in the 14-16 pound range.  For rub, I generally use salt and pepper and then layer over that with Holy Cow or any other beef rub.  I cook at 250, indirect, with some oak wood until IT is in the neighborhood of 120.  Pull it out, crank up the heat, and then sear it off.  Love Prime Rib.  It is an expensive cut of meat but a very easy cook so don't worry about ruining it.
    XL BGE
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    @jollygreenegg   Rib roast is very popular around Christmas and New Years. This forum could almost be renamed the Prime Rib Roast Forum in December.  If you look back at discussions from last December you will find lots of discussion on how to cook them. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    I do a prime rib roast every Christmas. I Roast low & slow and reverse sear to med rare. (Then slice off a price for my mothe-in-law and sear it to well done - sorry). It's a relatively straight forward cook. 

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• jollygreenegg
    Options
    Thx for all the input...   I just joined the forum recently and sounds like the holidays is when the rib roasts come out of hibernation.
    MM & XL BGE, Bay Area CA
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Many do prime rib and post... 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • GuitarEC
    GuitarEC Posts: 122
    Options
    I did one back at the end of February (before I was here on the forum)...  Here are the pics I took of that cook...

Happy Cooking.

Eric "GuitarEC"
    N. Metro Atl., Ga.
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    That looks fantastic!!
    XL BGE
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Brother there are a lot of folks who cook prime rib on the BGE. For whatever reason, more often than not, it's usually around the holidays though. With that said, there are many ways to cook them on the BGE with outstanding results, be they bone in or boneless. I'm one of the ones who prefers bone in with just about every cut of meat, but that's a personal choice. One of my very favorite ways to cook them is to run between 200-225 degrees indirect so I can really lay down some heavy oak smoke. Let them ride until I'm within 10-15 degrees of my desired internal finish temp and then pull and finish with a sear. I have also done some in a pinch by running 325 degrees indirect for the entire cook with no finishing sear. At this temp, the finished product will appear almost seared. The high temp cook honestly produces as good of results as the low temp cook. The only difference being the lack of smoke. With high quality prime rib, there is probably a thousand different methods that will yield great results. Hard to go wrong with prime rib as long as you don't over cook it.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• drewzim
    drewzim Posts: 4
    Options
    Do a bone in rib roast every Christmas.  Didn't get my first BGE until late spring.   I can guarantee you this year the egg(s) will be on Christmas duty. Getting excited just thinking about it.   
    Baltimore Area cooking on a XL & MM

GO O's!!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have done it 6-7 times on the egg and they are great!  Seeing these pics makes me want to do one soon.  I have a SRF rib roast in the freezer from a sale a couple of months ago.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Like others, I've cooked prime rib around Christmas or New Years.  I've done them with and without the bone, not sure I see a lot of difference, but it seems more festive, somehow, to have the bone, though I have the butcher separate them and tie them back together again for easy carving.  And I've cooked them just the way I used to in the oven, not a sear, really, at first, but starting off at a higher temp, maybe 500, I forget, but immediately letting it cool down to a more normal roasting temp, maybe 325 or something.  I haven't done it low and slow, but it's been so good the way I've done it that it's hard to see a reason to change.  The main problem I have is with some wanting more well done, and some wanting it good and pink.  I split a whole rib eye roast once between my Medium and Large, and I think I cooked one of them a bit more well.  It went well, as I recall.  Might do it that way next time.  It's definitely a wonderful BGE cook.  Don't know why I never do it at other times of year.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Theophan said:
      I haven't done it low and slow, but it's been so good the way I've done it that it's hard to see a reason to change.  
    Reading the quoted above brings two old wise sayings to mind. 
    1. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    2. Why mess with success?
    I find those two old sayings to be both sound and tried and true advice. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Here is mine and I have one in the freezer that needs to be cooked soon.
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1177717/first-beef-rib-roast#latest

Now my favorite was beef tenderloin.  
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1167586/first-beef-tenderloin-on-the-egg#latest
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Heres a small one I did back in the spring. Just a 4-5 lb boneless rib roast. 

Little Rock, AR

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @GuitarEC looks perfect - and is that royal Copenhagen underneath?
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Appears I have posted two prime rib cooks... 

Latest one is HERE or with the link below:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1177189/this-is-going-down-right-meow/p1

First one HERE or with the link below:
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1170618/prime-rib#latest

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Coach292
    Coach292 Posts: 39
    Options
    I cut the ribs off the roast and smoke them separate. Start a couple hours earlier for the ribs and put the roast on afterwards. Cutting the ribs off creates a more uniform cook and allows more rub on the the meat.
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Here's one from last Christmas. Cooked indirect around 225-235, oak for smoke, salt and fresh ground black pepper only. Wonderful 
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Very first roast I made on the BGE. Absolutely killer. I have not done one since, not because I don't want to, I am just trying to cook as many different things as I can to master them, before I go back to PR. First one I did was easy and perfect. I have had NONE BETTER.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GuitarEC
    GuitarEC Posts: 122
    Options
    blind99 said:
    @GuitarEC looks perfect - and is that royal Copenhagen underneath?
    No sir - that would be Johnson Brothers "Coaching Scenes".  Wife has loved the pattern since childhood and I happened on a full 12 place setting on eBay - had to drive all the way to New Jersey from Atlanta to pick them up (seller would not ship).

Yep - I kinda love that woman...

Eric "GuitarEC"
    Metro Atl., Ga.
  • Ivanhoe
    Ivanhoe Posts: 223
    Options
    What's the guesstimate on time / lb. at a 250 deg cook?
    Tulare, CA - Large BGE