Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wings...Separate Them or Keep Them Whole?

Options
Just throwing it out there...do you break apart whole wings before cooking or do you always throw them on whole?

I usually break them up largely because the two pieces (wing and drumstick) are polarizing in my family.  Some like to eat only one type.
North Pittsburgh, PA
1 LGE

Comments

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    keep them together as they seem to be easier to flip and rotate.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    keep them together as they seem to be easier to flip and rotate.
    +1
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    i cut them, drummettes over the hot spot in the back and wingettes cooked up front. they also fit in my fry basket better cut up and nowadays i pile them in a basket then into the cooker, no more standing there flipping wings

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    I used to cut them before but with a good pair of kitchen shears they are easier to cut after, nobody has complained. 
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Clearly a lot of opinions on this question; always interesting to see a topic like this come up that people are divided on.

Personally I like to keep them together for the cook then slice apart before serving. Usually array the drums towards he hotter back portion of the Egg; raised, direct. I do like to give them at least one flip during the cook, although I realize that might not be necessary. I usually flip when I sauce, and usually use a butter/hot sauce rather than BBQ.

Wings are actually pretty amazing. Incredibly versatile ingredient. It's almost harder (but not impossible) to cook a bad wing than a good one.

Cheers -
    B_B

Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    x3 on the leave them whole and cut them when they are done. I find they are easier to cut after they are cooked, plus your hands don't get frozen from holding cold wings. Plus they are easier to flip when cooking.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• AintEZbeingme
    Options
    leave'm whole. gotta nice little handle so you can get all that goodness off the bone.
    STAY THIRSTY MY FRIENDS!
    GIVE ME OYSTERS AND BEER FOR DINNER EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR
     & I'LL FEEL FINE!

SW Georgia :  LARGE & MINI BGE

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Leave em whole 

easier to flip

kids like to go all caveman and tear them apart. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I cook them twisted (stole photo from interweb).  Good presentation and easy to flip.

canuckland
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    Whole - for cooking and serving. I like taking them apart while eating.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I will add that while I do keep them whole, I do cut the tips off.  Gives you more room to fit more wings on.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• fishlessman
    Options
    you guys that dont cut them up are missing out on the fun part of wing cooking, adult beverages and using the big heavey meat cleaver
    fukahwee maine

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Count me in the cutter group. Also I admit it - I pitch the boney tips!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    Depends on the situation.  Occasionally cook and serve them whole when they are the entrée and you are going to sit down to dinner.  More often, cut them and make them easier to handle as an appetizer or food to eat while the family watches a movie.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I usually buy them separated.
  • eggrock
    eggrock Posts: 23
    Options
    Always whole. Fold in a triangle. Easier to flip. Fun to watch people as they try to separate the sauced up wings. Why cheat your guests of the tips. Everyone always sucks the saucey goodness from them. 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    you guys that dont cut them up are missing out on the fun part of wing cooking, adult beverages and using the big heavey meat cleaver
    @fishlessman yes! Breaking them down with a cleaver is great fun!

but I like these other ideas I'm seeing here like folding into triangles, or cutting after they're cooked. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I will add that while I do keep them whole, I do cut the tips off.  Gives you more room to fit more wings on.

I do this as well.  I also snip that extra flap of skin in the corner of the wing.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• fishlessman
    Options
    im as cheap as they come, wing tips are either tossed in the freezer with onion ends for stock down the road or simmered down for the dog =)
    fukahwee maine

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    I buy wings at Costco. They come split with the tip not included. Mrs. TOTN does not like the skin so I pull the skin off of most of the drumettes for her (leaving some with skin for me).
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Am I the only one here who just doesn't do wings? I have never cooked them. Not once. Except when they're still attached to the bird. I like 'em, but they just seem like they're more trouble than they're worth. There's so much more meat on the other parts. 

Why would you want scrawny, boney wings when you could have...

=)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    Options
    WHOLE!
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Seperate with shears before cooking. Wife only eats flappers and doesnt do spicy so I can season differently.
    Jacksonville FL
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    Am I the only one here who just doesn't do wings? I have never cooked them. Not once. Except when they're still attached to the bird. I like 'em, but they just seem like they're more trouble than they're worth. There's so much more meat on the other parts. 

=)
    The only bad thing I can day about wings is that the price is rediculous these days.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options

=)
    You sound like my wife...
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @Carolina Q the wing has such a high skin to meat ratio... Mmm so good! And you can do a variety of rubs and sauces in one cook... I'm getting hungry for wings now, can't wait for football to start!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • NCEggSmoker
    Options

=)
    I used to think the same thing, but I'm a wing convert. Wings are all about the meat to skin ratio. Legs and thighs for the meat, but wings are about the crispy skin. 
    Raleigh NC, Large BGE and KJ Joe Jr.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    I always cut off the tips but don't always separate the drums and flats. If I don't separate them I do always cut the flap of skin in towards the joint so they are easier to pull apart when eating them.

I used to use kitchen shears to cut them apart but after watching this video a few years ago I switched to just using my boning knife. Easy peasy.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTWOHVavdwg
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    My wife made drummies on the egg last night. They were under $3 a family pack. Never been a fan of drummies but after some homemade buffalo sauce I'm a believer!  Way cheaper than wings
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota