Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BS chicken thighs and wings; looking for guidance

Options
Wife and kids are away, and thawed out some BS chicken thighs and wings to cook tomorrow night for fun and sustenance.  Lots of dizzy pig rub and sauce and corn starch around and just looking for suggestions on how to cook them all together: thanks!
Toronto ON

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    If you want to tend to them and flip, raised direct 375-400. If you're like me and lazy, indirect 400-450 for an hour. Dry in the fridge over night. 
  • PASmoke
    PASmoke Posts: 279
    Options
    I like the indirect cook on wings and thighs. The best thighs I've ever made were indirect with one apple chink added at about 325/350* for about an hour and 15 minutes. The best wings I've ever made were cooked indirect at about 300* for 45/55 minutes. The wings tend to vary in cook time more then other things for me.....sometimes its 40 minutes - sometimes its an hour.....but just check on them after about 40minutes and you'll be fine. Let us know what you decided to do.....
    Atlanta, GA - Large BGE x 2

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I cook my wings longer than my BS thighs. Mostly to render the fat in the skin, etc...  I also cook the wings at a lower temp say 275-300. I cook the bs thighs @ 350-375. That's just my way. Lots of ways to slay those babies. 
  • RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    Options
    Raised direct 350
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Start them at 375ish indirect and let the temp creep up to about 400-425 if you want an easy, no maintenance cook or 400-425 raised direct & flip accordingly.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Howdy Simcan. BS thighs are delicious on the EGG, and with pretty much all of the Dizzy Pig seasonings. They are hard to overcook, and I think they are cooked best at 400 plus, direct, for 4-8 minutes per side. Rest and serve. The wings, IMO, will take 60 minutes or more. I like them for an hour at 275 direct.

Best method may be to cook the wings first, remove and rest, then sear off those BS thighs while the wings rest. 

Happy cookin, and thanks for your seasoning choice :) Tsunami Spin or BGE's Simply Zensational is pretty crazy good on chicken, and won us 2nd in Chicken at the Jack Daniels World Championships last year. 

Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    400 Direct & Raised
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Simcan
    Simcan Posts: 287
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. I do wings at 400 indirect for about an hour and am always happy with the result.  mostly wondering about whether to do the thighs separately.  I think I will do a mix...start the wings and half the thighs at 400 indirect, and pull thighs at different times to see what I like best, and after the wings are ready do Nature Boy's suggestion with direct grilling the other half of the thighs.  Cheers!
    Toronto ON
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,051
    Options
    Time for some sacriledge .... I remove the skin from the thighs.  Season directly and cook raised direct at 375-425.

Crisp exterior bite and lots of flavor.  I do it to drumsticks too.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Time for some sacriledge .... I remove the skin from the thighs.  
    I remove the skin as well. However after scraping away the fat, I put the skin back on. It's only sacrilege it you don't reuse the skin ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,051
    Options
    SGH said:
    Time for some sacriledge .... I remove the skin from the thighs.  
    I remove the skin as well. However after scraping away the fat, I put the skin back on. It's only sacrilege it you don't reuse the skin ;)
    I tried that, but it bunched up when heated.  I tried pinning it with tooth picks, but it just made a mess.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS