Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does anyone else tune out as soon as you read Sous Vide? (SV)

Options
KiterTodd
KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
edited August 2015 in EggHead Forum
:lol:

I know, I know...I'm ignorant to the benefits.   I get that...

...but I have to tell you, every time I read a thread here and someone mentions SV you might as well be typing, "and then my yoga instructor told me... NEXT!

I'm on to the next thread.

;)
LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    My yoga instructor told me that a SV has lots of benefits.  She also sold me some magic crystals that have changed my life.  I'm even thinking about going vegan based on her advice. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Hey ~ I'm dating a yoga instructor. Really.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    I'm married to a Yoga instructor.  Really, no joke.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I am a yoga instructor.  Big joke.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    I love the SV threads. I also do yoga, running and golf 2-4 time a week just so I can fat out on the egg. 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    :lol:

I know, I know...I'm ignorant to the benefits.   I get that...

...but I have to tell you, every time I read a thread here and someone mentions SV you might as well be typing, "and then my yoga instructor told me... NEXT!

;)

Yes!  I am sure it is amazing, but I like cooking on the Egg and all the wonders it can produce.  I have a hot tub if I really need to warm up the meat before hand.  :)
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    I was like this at one time, back in the day.  And then I bought an Anova and HOLY SH!T
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    By the way, one of the best meals I've had recently consisted of spares I started with the SV, cooled, and then smoked for an hour on the Egg.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    KiterTodd said:

I use to do the very same thing. Then one day @Thatgrimguy invited me over to eat. The chicken he did with SV was insane. Every since, when I see SV, I pay close attention. It was that good. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I've only done it a couple of times, the poor man's version with a cheap cooler. Planning to get a "real" SV device soon. I do NOT tune out when I see a SV thread.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• eggsurance_agent
    Options
    Ok, I have to ask.....what is it??  But yes, I do skip the threads, only for a lack of knowledge lol.
    LBGE
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Sorry @KiterTodd. I'm planning one with my commission check this month, so yeah I read those threads too. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    I've never questioned anyone's methods for prepping food. I could care less if you make it in the microwave, if it looks and tastes good I'm all over it.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    "Molecular gastronomy is the process by which sous-vide immersion, liquid nitrogen flash freezing, and foam blending is used to add $237 to the price of chicken."

From the Onion.

But problems w. yoga? Had a look at yoga pants? Makes 80's spandex look tame.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    gdenby said:

But problems w. yoga? Had a look at yoga pants? Makes 80's spandex look tame.
    +1 Mm  Hmm
    I had never heard of sous vid before I started hanging out here and spending money on stuff I never knew existed that makes food incredible...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SGH
    Options
    Sometimes watching a little yoga is not so bad. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    I've never questioned anyone's methods for prepping food. I could care less if you make it in the microwave, if it looks and tastes good I'm all over it.
    I think you mean "could not" care less. To be able to care less means that you do care.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I think you mean "could not" care less. To be able to care less means that you do care.
    Awesome! I had given up on anyone else correcting that. Good on ya!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Technically it means he could care less....doesn't mean he cared....only that could care less.   :)
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    SGH said:
    Sometimes watching a little yoga is not so bad. 

I see what you mean...

Flint, Michigan
  • SGH
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I see what you mean...

Great minds think alike my friend ;)

Status- Standing by.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    2 of my favorite yoga positions right there!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    I thought SV was a gimmick.  Then I ate a steak cooked by @nolaegghead .  I am a convert.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    By the way, one of the best meals I've had recently consisted of spares I started with the SV, cooled, and then smoked for an hour on the Egg.

@JohnInCarolina
    Those look great...what temp was the water an for how long?
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Love the humor, good responses, thanks.   :plus_one:   One of the great things about this forum, is nobody takes themselves toooooo seriously.

And yes, what was I thinking mentioning Yoga?!?... the recent yoga pants trend alone is reason enough to stop by and give a donation to the nearest studio!

And no, I don't question that SV yields great results, just being honest and seeing how others browse the forum.   NEXT!  :lol:

LBGE/Maryland
  • loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    Options
    I can't even pronounce it!  :)
    Brandon, MS
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

@JohnInCarolina
    Those look great...what temp was the water an for how long?
    147 for 24 hrs.  Then refrigerated for a couple of hours until cool.  Finished at 350+ on the Egg for an hour to add smoke.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    KiterTodd said:

Or not.

Flint, Michigan
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    edited August 2015
    Options
    To each his own, an early diy sv tinkler here, I pay extra attention to sv threads  ;)
    canuckland