Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weekend Cooks

Having been on vacation the three previous weekends, this weekend was my first BGE weekend in a month. 

Started Friday night with some brisket burger sliders and corn on the cob. 

Saturday was spatchcock chicken. I did a 24 hour dry brine and the chicken was more moist than normal. I've read that you can go 48-72 hours with the dry brine; I may try 48 next time

There was plenty of chicken left over for lunch today and for some chicken salad yesterday

Yesterday was brisket; 12.5# (trimmed) packer. I'm going to give this one a B+ in terms of how it turned out. Good flavor but the flat was a little dry. Need to check my dome thermo. Held solid at 270* for, what turned out to be, an 8 hour cook. I'm glad I checked on the IT when I did as I was already up around 200*. Served with mac 'n cheese and fried okra

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

Comments

• YYZegger
    YYZegger Posts: 231
    Busy Weekend, looks great!

Toronto, Canada  LBGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    @TexanOfTheNorth - Great cooks right there.  A day with the BGE is a fun day-regardless of weather.
    And I see where your brisket cooked quickly as well.  Not sure what is going on these days but at around 270*F on the calibrated dome I am seeing around 0.7 hrs/lb for the past three brisket cooks.  Used to be closer to 1 hr/lb in the past... cow always wins!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Those look like some great eats!  Brisket sliders, then spatch chicken and then a full packer?  Wow! 
    Flint, Michigan
  • lousubcap said:
    @TexanOfTheNorth - Great cooks right there.  A day with the BGE is a fun day-regardless of weather.
    And I see where your brisket cooked quickly as well.  Not sure what is going on these days but at around 270*F on the calibrated dome I am seeing around 0.7 hrs/lb for the past three brisket cooks.  Used to be closer to 1 hr/lb in the past... cow always wins!
    The unpredictable time is the reason I get up early to start them instead of doing them overnight.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

Assuming Niagara is not in your plans this year!
    Nice stuff John. I bet your brisket came from the same source as mine did yesterday. Did it overnight @ 200*. It felt really good at 185* internal but I left it till 195*. One of the best I've done. Next one comes off by feel not temp.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Great cooks!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @TexanOfTheNorth
    Fine looking grub brother. Outstanding cook :clap: 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Nice stuff John. I bet your brisket came from the same source as mine did yesterday. Did it overnight @ 200*. It felt really good at 185* internal but I left it till 195*. One of the best I've done. Next one comes off by feel not temp.
    Good to know; I was worried that he might be slipping.

Mine was probing without resistance but, I really think it stayed on just a bit too long.
    Wow, didn't take long for you to get back into the swing of things John!

One of our traditional ways for chicken is to dry brine with salt only overnight, steam, then serve chilled or at room temp, with ginger and green onion sauce, or fried garlic.

Loved the brisket sliders you served at TO fest, just brisket or with added fat?

I got a full packer from the same fella too! Still afraid to cook it L+S in the egg, especially after my recent luck with sous vide.  See you guys on Sunday.

canuckland
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited August 2015
    Wow, didn't take long for you to get back into the swing of things John!

One of our traditional ways for chicken is to dry brine with salt only overnight, steam, then serve chilled or at room temp, with ginger and green onion sauce, or fried garlic.

Loved the brisket sliders you served at TO fest, just brisket or with added fat?

I got a full packer from the same fella too! Still afraid to cook it L+S in the egg, especially after my recent luck with sous vide.  See you guys on Sunday.

Was away for a little over two weeks and did not think about my egg one time! Nice to be back home and using it though.

I used a dry brine that was 3 parts kosher and 1 part baking soda. Have you ever tried a longer brine? If so, does it make a real difference.

The brisket burgers are just a whole packer done with a coarse grind. I remove the hard fat that you'd remove if you were cooking it l&s and have never found a need to add addtional.

See you Sunday.
    Awesome looking meals. That chicken salad looks killer!
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Wow, nice looking meals you have there!  
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• byrne092 said:
    Awesome looking meals. That chicken salad looks killer!
    Yeah, love making chicken salad out of left over spatch chicken.
    Wow - you're back with a vengeance eh? Great looking cooks! Those brisket sliders just brought back memories of TO eggfest!
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Yessir!!!!  Love the looks of everything but that last pic has me drooling!  Brisket, Mac n cheese and fried okra are a few of my favorites!!  :flushed: 
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Looks good @TexanOfTheNorth . I think i may have gotten my briskets from the same person !
    Just started an MSM  with one .
    I am going to sous vide one next week as well and try to finish it off on the egg to give it some smoke .......
    Toronto
  • Looks good @TexanOfTheNorth . I think i may have gotten my briskets from the same person !
    Just started an MSM  with one .
    I am going to sous vide one next week as well and try to finish it off on the egg to give it some smoke .......
    Yeah, @pantyspants, at first, I thought it might be because that particular brisket sat in the trunk of my suppliers car for the 2 weeks I was out of town. It didn't smell too bad when I opened the cryo though so, maybe that isn't what happened at all.
    hey pal dont blame me because your brisket skills are mid to sub par :)
    Toronto
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    That food looked awesome! It was a great weekend for the BGE! I have to ask, what is your recipe on the chicken salad? That spatch method in brining is something I have not tried, but will.  If it gets better than a bird with a Beck's butt, I must try. Cool weekend dude! 
    Thanks!
    @lousubcap - Absolutely right, weekend egging is as cool as it gets! Full Packer next!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • @YukonRon, I don't follow a particular recipe but that one hade some chopped celery and red onion, craisins, chopped walnuts, mayonaise and a little sesame seed oil and s&p
    @YukonRon, I don't follow a particular recipe but that one hade some chopped celery and red onion, craisins, chopped walnuts, mayonaise and a little sesame seed oil and s&p
    Yeah, start with great chicken, hard to not make excellent chicken salad. It looked great.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Good looking grub!
    Phoenix 
  • Great looking food. The chicken looks nice and crispy. 
    Mckinney, TX
    LBGE--AR with Rig extender 
    Mini Max