Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deck mat options

Options
Finally my egg has moved back to the new deck. I am looking for ideas of something to put down to protect the trex decking. I checked HD and Lowes and the mats they have are brown and the deck is grey. Looking for other options. I do have a 4x4 piece of aluminum diamond plate, but not sure it will get the "approval". 

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    No opinions on deck mat, but man, nice deck!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Your new deck looks very nice and you should be proud! Are you open to a suggestion? Either decide now to designate an area and put down a mat or a permanent stone area. The thing is those mats will cause your deck to discolor due to fading from sunlight but also due to trapped moisture. I use a round one under my medium, but the next day I pick it up and store it in my garage. Yes that is a PITA but we both know what that new deck cost and SWMBO might not cotton to the staining from the footprint a mat will leave regardless of the mats color.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Options
    @RRP and @dmw thanks for the kind words. It has been a long 3 months since I started. I'm almost done, still trying to figure out my gate options as I bought a gate kit for HD but it's only good up to 48" and of course I made a 60" opening. I even thought about building a pad out of the same decking so it would blend in with everything else. Also it would fade as the other does. Looks like I have a few more decisions before I can sit out back and have a drink. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Firemanyz said:
    @RRP and @dmw thanks for the kind words. Looks like I have a few more decisions before I can sit out back and have a drink. 
    hmmm, I seem to ponder and resolve my issues while sitting,  thinking and enjoying what I have done so far. You might try that approach!  =)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Nice house, nice deck. I wouldn't even think about putting a grill on it. If it were me, I'd put the egg right about... here. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Firemanyz
    Options
    @rrp VERY TRUE. On a side not could you please pm me info on obtaining a Rutland gasket. I've been holding off on doing this also until I moved the green beauty back outside. 

Thanks
  • Firemanyz
    Options
    @carolina q only issue is that would be the middle of my back yard and the yard is not way deep. Also I live on a corner and have no trees or fence to block the view. 

Here re is a view looking out from the house. 

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    How about putting in a paver pad on either side of the steps? Make it large enough that your Egg is positioned at least 5 feet from anything flammable or melt able. By the way, great deck and I assume those are you Sous Chefs in the photos. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    If that deck right off the kitchen, or is it off the living room/den?  If it is not right off the kitchen, I'd look at putting a secondary pad off the kitchen window and use that window as a pass-thru to the outside.....

BTY, AWESOME looking deck.  Went with the solar lights, I see.  Can we see a night-time shot with it lit up???

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Firemanyz
    Options
    Yes this is right off of the kitchen the slider and window are a part of the kitchen. I had thought about a small paver patio but don't really want the egg out in the yard. Also we have a minpin that has a yard leash because without it he would be in Texas. I will take a picture of it lit up at night. I put lights on 6 or the 12 posts I have. There is one that will be going back real soon as last night it was barely lit. 
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    if I had a better option I would have it on a paver/stone patio on the ground.  I have an elevated wooden deck where I have my Egg and I am always nervous on using it.  I do not do overnight cooks on it anymore. 

You could build a nice outdoor kitchen just below your deck.

Garnerville, NY
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,187
    Options
    I have a BGE mat. I'm assuming that they are no longer being made???
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Nice house, nice deck. I wouldn't even think about putting a grill on it. If it were me, I'd put the egg right about... here. 

Yep....a little hardscape would do the trick. Something like this.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Firemanyz
    edited August 2015
    Options

@DaveRichardson

Ok so today I finally decided to build the gates. I am putting a BIG FAT CHECK on this project. It has been just over three months from the start. My wife was impressed that I was able to complete it before  The new local rite aid was finished. As asked before I took a few night shots. Also have to make one trip to lowes to return one light and get another. The batteries are not holding a charge. 

The only other thing I will add down the road is a retractable awning. Anyone have recommendations?

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    Wow!  Love it!  That is what I'd like to do with my deck. Mine is ground level, so a railroad big is overkill, but I like the look. Mine is southern exposure with full daylight from sunup to sundown; I'm looking into a shade structure as well. Probably going pergola with removable sunbrella panels. I definitely want ceiling fans to stir the lovely Georgia air!!

bravo, my friend, on the great work!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    @Firemanyz  Beautiful deck, and love the railing!  

RRP is right though, anything like a mat is going to trap water underneath and you'll have staining within the year.  A patio down the steps isn't a bad idea, but not sure I'd want to go up and down the steps all the time.  Maybe build an unsecured platform with an air gap?  

Most importantly, use that deck!  A little wear and tear is part of life.
    Phoenix