Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Rutland Gasket

I don't post very often, but I wanted to share that I just finished installing my new Rutland gasket and am waiting on the fire to finish curing it.  I am very pleased with the way it looks and the simplicity of putting it on.  it was a little messy, but was very easy.  I know the fellow that created it posts here, so I wanted to say thank you to him.  I look forward to many more cooks!

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    That would be @RRP fellow wildcat.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I don't post very often, but I wanted to share that I just finished installing my new Rutland gasket and am waiting on the fire to finish curing it.  I am very pleased with the way it looks and the simplicity of putting it on.  it was a little messy, but was very easy.  I know the fellow that created it posts here, so I wanted to say thank you to him.  I look forward to many more cooks!
    Thanks - but I never created it though I have sold over 2,000 of them to fellow eggers. Also it appears I didn't sell you yours if you have a fire burning in your egg to "cure it". Permatex which I only recommend needs a 24 hour chemical cure not a heat cure. Good luck and thanks anyway - I hope you "bunched it" so it became both thicker and wider than using it straight from Amazon or ACE. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Whoops, looks like I was wrong on a couple of accounts.  But still, you're likely the reason many of us have even thought to use it, so thank you.  The directions I followed were on the naked whiz's site on how to install it, so I used the stove and gasket cement that he talks about.  Hopefully it will work.  
  • Yes, I did bunch it so that it covers the entire lip.
  • RRP
    Whoops, looks like I was wrong on a couple of accounts.  But still, you're likely the reason many of us have even thought to use it, so thank you.  The directions I followed were on the naked whiz's site on how to install it, so I used the stove and gasket cement that he talks about.  Hopefully it will work.  
    The "he" is me if you go back and re-read that. Those are a Readers' Digest version of my original instructions. The Rutland adhesive is a latex product whereas the Permatex Ultra Copper that I have recommended for years is far far superior. Just the same - thanks for your kind comments and I still wish you good luck! 
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Got my gasket last week from Ron. Hopefully I get some time this week to put it on. I've been bareback for a couple of months.
  • No problem sir.  I'll make a note of the Permatex Ultra Copper and if it needs to be redone I'll make sure to use that.  
  • @RRP I'm interested in buying a gasket for my XL, also one for a friend of mine who has a Big Joe. How can I contact you? Thanks again... looking forward to speaking to you.
  • RRP
    @RRP I'm interested in buying a gasket for my XL, also one for a friend of mine who has a Big Joe. How can I contact you? Thanks again... looking forward to speaking to you.
    I just sent you a PM.