Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ice in the 30 ounce yeti

fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,657
edited August 2015 in EggHead Forum
fished on sunday, really fishy day, lots of salmon and a few togue, winds were terrible, waves over the gunnels and out the back scuppers, when i say bad while fishing, a 42 foot schoonah was getting coast guard assistants just off the coast and and they were searching for a guy in the harbor that got thrown off another boat =) it was bad but the tumbler stood up to the job. poured it full of ginger beer and ice to top off my drink in the morning hours, just too much action to actually drink, so there it sat for 24 hours and still had ice the next morning, this morning for my 2 hour commute to work B)  no pics were taken, no studies done, just a satisfied tumbler owner
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Funny, I was almost inspired to make a pseudo-complaint post Saturrday.  It was pretty damned hot here and I had a number of errands to run, so I filled up the 30 with ice and unsweetened tea and headed out.  After my second stop, tea was gone, cup was dry, except for the ice.  Two more stops and a car wash before I headed home and never any melt to get another sip.  Too damned efficient, I need to remember to scale back on the ice when I load it up.
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Got my wide an insulated glass from HD, for a buck, that will still have ice in it the next day...
  • jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Legume said:
    Funny, I was almost inspired to make a pseudo-complaint post Saturrday.  It was pretty damned hot here and I had a number of errands to run, so I filled up the 30 with ice and unsweetened tea and headed out.  After my second stop, tea was gone, cup was dry, except for the ice.  Two more stops and a car wash before I headed home and never any melt to get another sip.  Too damned efficient, I need to remember to scale back on the ice when I load it up.
    I have the same problem.  Usually the ice melts down and you just keep drinking until it is empty.  With the yeti, you drink all the tea fast and then the ice just sits there and doesn't hardly melt.

I can fill my yeti up at lunch with iced tea and it will stay cold with ice until i get home around 4 or 5.  It sits in a car in Texas with 100 degree weather is the impressive part.  

Disclaimer: I think the coolers are nice, but overpriced and I don't personally need them.  The cups are well worth it though.
    Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited August 2015
    Legume said:
    Unsweetened....did you lose a bet or are you communist?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Looks like I won the bet actually.  Bet my wife that if I type unsweetened tea in a post, some over-proud southerner would question my 'Merican-ness within 2 hours.  You're early.   =)
  • GATraveller
    Legume said:
    Looks like I won the bet actually.  Bet my wife that if I type unsweetened tea in a post, some over-proud southerner would question my 'Merican-ness within 2 hours.  You're early.   =)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • jad
    jad Posts: 70
    I am not completely sold or maybe there is a process I have wrong?
    I do not have the 30oz but the smaller yeti tumbler not sure it would make a difference.
    But I fill it with ice then water from the tap (yes I drink water from the tap)
    and the ice melts in a short amount of time but the water does remain cold?
    But I like having ice :(
    Cary NC
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    jad said:
    I do not have the 30oz but the smaller yeti tumbler not sure it would make a difference.
    Keep it cold at all times. Fill with ice, cold water, drink, refill. Go home. Reload with ice and beverage of choice. In the morning ice is left, dump, rinse and repeat. Mine never gets warm. Always have a solid chunk of I've in the morning that I have to run water on to get it out. 
  • GATraveller
    jad said:
    Keep it cold at all times. Fill with ice, cold water, drink, refill. Go home. Reload with ice and beverage of choice. In the morning ice is left, dump, rinse and repeat. Mine never gets warm. Always have a solid chunk of I've in the morning that I have to run water on to get it out. 
    +1 - we keep ours in the freezer until we need it.

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    jad said:
    @jad it sounds to me like you might have one that lost vacuum.  You can definitely try to maximize the ice retention by cooling down the water but even with room temp water from the tap I would expect you should have ice for several hours.  

I have two 30 oz and one has stopped performing well and I suspect it lost vacuum.  I did a quick test and cooled down both cups with icy water, emptied, then put 4 pieces of ice in each (last night).  This morning one tumbler still had ice and the other was all water.   I sent an inquiry this morning about a replacement.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fishlessman
    jad said:
    the directions that came with it said not to put it in the freezer, dont know why, dont know why a cup even comes with directions =)
    fukahwee maine

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Legume said:

Put some alcohol in it, the ice won't freeze solid.  :)
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • fishlessman
    jad said:
    pre chill the tap water, especially if its city tap, the chlorine taste will dissipate
    fukahwee maine

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    smbishop said:
    Legume said:

Put some alcohol in it, the ice won't freeze solid.  :)
    Oh yes it will. If there's liquor then empty just ice, it will freeze back together overnight and actually be frozen to the cup. Have to run water in it to melt the ice. Trust me.  =)
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    My 30 is filled w/ tap/ice water 24/7. It's even by my side when I take a 2-3 hour Titos break. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• GATraveller
    jad said:
    the directions that came with it said not to put it in the freezer, dont know why, dont know why a cup even comes with directions =)
    I never did take direction very well.    :D

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • fishlessman
    jad said:
    I never did take direction very well.    :D
    i cant imagine what would happen, the directions dont exclude ice fishing  =)
    fukahwee maine

• GATraveller
    I was just thinking the same thing.  There are a lot of places in this world where it stays consistently colder than my freezer.  

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • fishlessman
    I was just thinking the same thing.  There are a lot of places in this world where it stays consistently colder than my freezer.  
    there have been times ive kept my beer on the heater, just to take it out doors, theres even a nice warm area on the muffler of my wheeler where i can warm up a guinness ;)
    fukahwee maine

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Doing lots of travel with mine and found every day it still has ice from the prior day. By travel talking 46,000 in 15 months (yep, lots of road travel miles). Sore butt, but ice in tumbler every morning. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jad
    jad Posts: 70
    my tumbler is only 2-3 months old and I do not ever remember it keeping ice?
    Like I said the liquid is cold but the ice is gone:(
    Should I be contacting yeti, anyone have experience with yeti customer service?
    Cary NC
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited August 2015
    jad said:
    my tumbler is only 2-3 months old and I do not ever remember it keeping ice?
    Like I said the liquid is cold but the ice is gone:(
    Should I be contacting yeti, anyone have experience with yeti customer service?
    There was another thread and a couple of people have called them and received a replacement.  I submitted a form today but haven't received anything back (not even a confirmation).  If I don't hear something by tomorrow I will call them. 

Here is the other discussion.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I went to get some ethanol-free gas for the lawn equipment and as I pulled the 5 gallon tank out the back of my pickup, my 30 oz Yeti fell from the side of the bed and hit the concrete.  I finished my drink so just lost the ice.  So it's customized now with a little road rash.  As far as I can tell it's still holding vacuum.