Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bge vs fast food

Options
My wife and I took the kids to McDonald's on the way home last night and what we spent there verses what we cooked on the bge tonight the home cooked meal was cheaper. We did 4 sirloins 5 ears of corn and smoked sausage mixed into baked beans all on the bge. I just find it crazy what people spend on fast food junk. Let me know what yall think. 

Comments

• Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Options
    And lest we even bring "Its Healthier" into the discussion.  Looks great too.
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    Food is steep for sure!

Much rather cook at home.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    The beans are off the chain
  • damnedhooligan
    Options
    Time is money...you pay a premium for someone else to prepare your food. But when I have the time I prefer cooking on my BGE. I will never get salmon from a "fast food" place cause it tastes so much better on the BGE. Hell I don't pay for salmon at a nice restaurant cause the same applies.

XL BGE with adj rig & woo2

• clifkincaid
    Options
    I avoid fast food at all cost.
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    edited August 2015
    Options
    The McDouble is usually what I get at McDonalds. It use to be a $1. At 3.6 ounces of beef it could not be made cheaper at home. Now they raised the price to $1.29- $1.49. Its still a good deal and is edible. Compared to the 1/4 pounder at $4.00, which only has 0.4 ounces of more hamburger, I'll take the McDouble.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    @Ironhead1973  With you 100%.  

In a pinch I'll do Chipotle or Jimmy Johns, but that is rare.  Mcdonalds, Bk, & Wendys are dead to me.

Phoenix 
  • Eggingaround
    Options
    Food looks really good. We went out to dinner the other night and I was going to order steak. The wife stopped me and said you will be disappointed unless they will be cooking it on an Egg. I ordered something else. 
    Mckinney, TX
    LBGE--AR with Rig extender 
    Mini Max
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    Fast food is the pits. It just makes you feel like crap after. Taco Bell is the worst.  I always think that I want some taco bell and then I take a ****
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    When I was in High School there was the "Burger Wars" every other week a whopper or a Big Mac was .99. I have never felt worse then consuming those and I was in my peak condition as far as an athlete. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Hunter1881
    Hunter1881 Posts: 406
    Options
    I still love a sonic burger and sweet tea. Anything else is just eaten out of necessity. 
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    Options
    MaC122 said:
    Fast food is the pits. It just makes you feel like crap after. Taco Bell is the worst.  I always think that I want some taco bell and then I take a ****
    Ah, Taco Bell where everything tastes the same to me.  Yuck!
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Love me some fast food, restaurant food, egged food. It's all good. I just love food.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    We don't eat fast food anymore unless we're on a day-long road-trip

The quality of leftovers from the Egg is one of the greatest benefits IMHO. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Just about any decent home cooked meal can be better and cheaper than most fast food. The BGE just makes the difference shockingly apparent.
  • s_claus
    s_claus Posts: 74
    Options
    I pretty much avoid all "fast food" places. I have for years and don't miss it. I'd much rather cook my own or if I'm traveling, I look for a small Mom & Pop place or a local BBQ joint.
    HO HO HO
    LBGE in Lawrenceville, GA
  • jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options
    With food places, usually the cost of the food is minimal.  The labor to make it, the marketing, the facility and so on are the big costs.  At home, your only cost is the cost of the food (and your personal time.)

Years ago, I worked at a Sonic.  It costs about 35 cents to make a burger, and about 7 cents each for french fries or a standard large drink.  That combo meal sold for about $6 and food cost was about 50 cents.  Labor averaged about 20 percent of sales for the whole day, so add on $1.20 just for the labor on that meal.

Keep in mind, these are numbers from 15 years ago.  Food and labor costs have gone up a lost since then, but so have prices.  

Running a fast food restaurant was explained to me as making pennies.  If you do it right, you can make a ton of pennies.  The margin is so thin though, it is a very fine line between getting rich and going bankrupt.   

My wife spent $30 at Dairy Queen for the kids a few weeks ago for one meal.  Could of done a hell of a lot for $30 on a BGE.

Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • YYZegger
    YYZegger Posts: 231
    Options
    You pay for convenience, sometimes on the road you have no choice and if your not prepared with a boxed lunch for you and your family its your only option.  I prefer home cooked myself also though.
    Toronto, Canada  LBGE