Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Ribs Question

Options
Does anyone do beef back ribs raised direct? Looking for a quicker cook time than indirect, low and slow. Any other tips would be appreciated! 
Canton, GA
LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone

Comments

• CeeGeeW
    CeeGeeW Posts: 113
    Options
    Not I, but I have done turbo at 350 degrees indirect for 1hr 30 min then sauced for 10 more mins.
    Los Angeles, CA
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The main prob. w. all direct cooks is that its easy to burn the food. I've done both beef back ribs and pork spares direct. I put them in a rack so they were vertical, and only the ends were getting the full heat. I flipped them a couple of times, end for end, and sideways. My recollection was that the spares turned out quite good, but the back ribs had some burnt edges. I suspect part of that was because the particular slabs didn't have much meat on them. The thinner bits became jerky-like. Not bad tasting, just a harder chew.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Love beef backs, but I always have done indirect. If I were to do them raised direct, I would be spritzing about every 15-20 mins. They can get so dry in a hurry. Keep temps around 300-325 if possible. Use your fave marinade to spirits or splatter, but do it frequently.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    Options
    Ok, thanks. Maybe I'll try turbo indirect. 
    Canton, GA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited August 2015
    Options
    RRog17 said:
    Does anyone do beef back ribs raised direct? 
    I do. I prefer the back ribs this way. However I cook them more like steak(which happens to be what is cut away from these particular ribs). I do not cook them all the way done. I leave them somewhat rare. Kind of makes them into mini ribeyes on a stick. I will say this, by cooking them direct and leaving them somewhat rare, they won't be quite as tender as cooking them indirect and taking them to a higher internal temp. But I love the taste. Again, it basically tastes like a mini, rare ribeye. It's one of those things that you will have to try for yourself to see if you like them prepared this way or not. When I cook them raised direct, I run between 275-300 degrees and flip them constantly. Again you may try them this way and not like them, but it's honestly my favorite way to make back ribs. Raised direct over oak and cooked on the side of rare. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    Beef ribs cooked raised direct. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    ^^ my favorite too.  I cook individually, and slice them to the bone every inch our so..  shrinks into little bite sized gems.  Lime, salt and onion marinade    

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • RRog17
    Options
    SGH said:
    RRog17 said:
    Does anyone do beef back ribs raised direct? 
    I do. I prefer the back ribs this way. However I cook them more like steak(which happens to be what is cut away from these particular ribs). I do not cook them all the way done. I leave them somewhat rare. Kind of makes them into mini ribeyes on a stick. I will say this, by cooking them direct and leaving them somewhat rare, they won't be quite as tender as cooking them indirect and taking them to a higher internal temp. But I love the taste. Again, it basically tastes like a mini, rare ribeye. It's one of those things that you will have to try for yourself to see if you like them prepared this way or not. When I cook them raised direct, I run between 275-300 degrees and flip them constantly. Again you may try them this way and not like them, but it's honestly my favorite way to make back ribs. Raised direct over oak and cooked on the side of rare. 
    About how long does this take?
    Canton, GA
  • SGH
    Options
    RRog17 said:
    Not long at all my friend. If you flip then constantly, and if they are not excessively large, it's never longer than 90 minutes. Usually it's less if you maintain 275-300 degrees. Remember, you are grilling them, not smoking them. Things go much faster when grilling direct. 

Status- Standing by.

• RRog17
    Options
    SGH said:
    RRog17 said:
    Not long at all my friend. If you flip then constantly, and if they are not excessively large, it's never longer than 90 minutes. Usually it's less if you maintain 275-300 degrees. Remember, you are grilling them, not smoking them. Things go much faster when grilling direct. 
    Thanks for the tip, SGH! They were great! Steak on a stick for sure!
    Canton, GA
  • RRog17
    Options

Canton, GA
  • SGH
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @RRog17Looks like a winner to me brother. Did you go raised direct?

Status- Standing by.

• RRog17
    Options
    SGH said:
    @RRog17Looks like a winner to me brother. Did you go raised direct?
    I did. About 325 for about 30 mins. 
    Canton, GA