Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs crispy and fall off bone

I like them fall off the bone, husband likes them crispy.  Any suggestions for cooking both ways at same time?  Thx!
BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.  

Comments

• gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Wrap yours, don't wrap his. Done

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    gamason said:
    Wrap yours, don't wrap his. Done
    +1.  Put them on the egg and smoke for about 3 hours.  Wrap 1/2 in foil.  Add a small amount of liquid to the foil if you wish (IMO not really necessary because the ribs will release juice).  Keep them wrapped for 1- 1.5 hours, then unwrap to finish and sauce the last 20 minutes or so. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• eggnewtoy
    eggnewtoy Posts: 496
    Thx!  Have a favorite method?  

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    I'm new here also. Search or Google 3-2-1 ribs (smoke 3 hours, wrap 2, unwrapped for 1). I found that here and it works great. Like the others have said, just don't wrap 1/2 the ribs. For me (based on comments here) it's more like 4-1-1 ribs.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Just cook them unwrapped until they break in half with the bend test. This will give a good bark and fall off the bone. Baby backs will take somewhere in the 5-530 hour range at 250.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    edited August 2015
    SciAggie said:
    I'm new here also. Search or Google 3-2-1 ribs (smoke 3 hours, wrap 2, unwrapped for 1). I found that here and it works great. Like the others have said, just don't wrap 1/2 the ribs. For me (based on comments here) it's more like 4-1-1 ribs.
    More like 3/.5/.5(up to one)  at 275 in an egg. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • eggnewtoy
    You all are so great.  Thx!

• I've been a 2-2-1 guy with ribs recently and they have been falling off the bone a bit too much for my taste.  I think I'm going to cut back on the foil time to get them a little crispier and firmer.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    You can come cook on my egg and make then anyway you want.  B)
    New Albany, Ohio 

• eggnewtoy
    hahaha

• eggnewtoy
    Happy Sunday everyone:  Into my first adventure of ribs on the big green egg--used dizzy dust-barbeque mixture for rub, forgot the mustard (whoops), hickory and apple for smoke but having lots of trouble regulating the temp.  charcoal was about 3/4 full, couldn't get the heat up although had ashy charcoal.  Then settled about 250--wanted about 275.  Opened a crack more. Any ideas on how to regulate and set up?  Checked the box and wasn't even close to full.  Thx

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Look up car wash Mike's ribs... 
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    Next time, start w/ a full load (especially for a low and slow).

Clean ash out, check holes in fire ring are clear. 

Are you using a drip pan? Elevated from the platesetter with 3 balls of foil?

Hot drippings can add temp if sitting directly on the PS. 

Ideally, lock in you temp and let it go for a while at your desired temp, then add your ribs. Patience, grasshopper! 

I find a locked in at  225-250 has about 1/4" opening at the bottom and about the same on the daisy. 275 won't hurt at all. 

Temp control will come. We've all been through what you're eggsperiencing. It's an art and a science. 

Have another beverage, relax and the ribs will be just fine! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• eggnewtoy
    Thx much for the advise, THEBuckeye.  Using a drip pan but not elevated.  Just checked and down to 250 again.  opened up vent and daisy a bit and will check in 15 again.  I love it--lots of fun to learn.  

• bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Try turbo ribs.  Several hours before cooking, coat ribs with a dry rub. I like a mixture of Dizzy Dust and Dizzy Pigs Snake Venom but there are lots of other choices.   About an hour or so before cooking, bring them out of the refrigerator and let them come up to room temperature.  Cook at 280 for about 2 hours.  Then add sauce, if you like sauce, and cook for another half hour. Today I tried three different preparations as a taste test for a forthcoming birthday party.  The first was melted brown sugar + a little water+ butter on the ribs (i.e., the sweet ribs),  Ray Lampe's rib sauce  ( http://steamykitchen.com/4034-dr-bbqs-baby-back-ribs.html) and about.com's southern sauce.  The consensus was for Ray Lampe's rib sauce. although I will also prepare some with the sweet sauce as well.  I have tried a lot of variations, but turbo ribs is definitely the way to go.

Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • eggnewtoy
    Yum bboulier.  thanks!

• eggnewtoy
    The finished product.  Thx for everyone's help.