Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Rat in attic

Options
Chubbs
Chubbs Posts: 6,929
So, kind if afraid to admit this but I am actually afraid of rats. We have some in our attic now and am trying to figure out how to take care of it. Called in a professional and he was going to seal off craw space vents and other entry points to keep others out and then trap ones in attic. All fine and well until I got his $1100 quote. No thanks. My question--- any of you put reinforced steel mesh over your craw space vents and if so, where did you get it?
Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    We had to do something similar to get a termite letter when we sold out last house. That's been awhile ago. I think the exterminator installed them though. They were something like this from lowes. 

http://www.lowes.com/projects/build-and-remodel/replace-a-foundation-vent/project
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Thanks @theyolksonyou problem with mine are they are original from the 50s. Chiseling each one out will not be easy and an out of box product likely won't fit snug. I have 11 of them. Professional was going to use a heavy gauge steel mesh over existing. Anyone have thoughts?
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Put a cat in the attic :)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    @Chubbs are we talking mice or rats? Here in my area, and it may be the same in Columbia, we have roof rats that can get into attics. These things are huge. I mean like kitten big.

So have you seen them or caught one to know what you have? Or have you heard them in the middle of the night and have no visual evidence of what you actually have up there.  

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,571
    Options
    When you say rats, how many do you think ?.. Could you not put poison down in the attic and block up all the entry points...
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Chubbs
    Options
    @Chubbs are we talking mice or rats? Here in my area, and it may be the same in Columbia, we have roof rats that can get into attics. These things are huge. I mean like kitten big.

So have you seen them or caught one to know what you have? Or have you heard them in the middle of the night and have no visual evidence of what you actually have up there.  
    Yeah I have visual evidence. As in I slammed one in the attic door. 
  • Chubbs
    Options
    When you say rats, how many do you think ?.. Could you not put poison down in the attic and block up all the entry points...
    Problem with poison is they go die somewhere (insulation,etc) and then stink and can't find them. Idea they told me is to block of all entry points then trap the ones in attic. Guy said there is activity but fairly early in process. I don't think there are a lot but I am wanting them out. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

Would hardware cloth work?

I found some rodent poop in my garage and attic a while back. I bought one of these from Amazon:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rat-Zapper-Classic-Electronic-Rat-Trap-RZC001/205139993?cm_mmc=shopping-_-bingpa-_-28-_-205139993&ci_src=328768002&ci_sku=205139993

Caught a little bugger the first week and then kinda forgot. I should probably set it up again.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    Get a couple traps, set them and check them daily. Use your contractor recommendation and deny further access. Perhaps a second contractor quote would provide other solutions also.
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    We had those in my parents house once. The neighbors didn't mow and they climbed up the side of the house and into the attic. Sounded like a herd of squirrels up there. Used big ass traps and had to go up everyday to check, empty, reset. 

I had had the same problem with retrofit @chubbs that's why I let the exterminator do it. But it wasn't 11. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    +1 on hardware cloth. 
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Ok that is not a mouse! It looks to me like you have roof rats! Welcome to hell brother. These things are very hard to get rid of. 

They are very hard to trap because they are suspicious of anything you put out. I had my contractor put wire mesh behind my foundation vents and also seal up any other holes he could find. 

My house was built in 1890 and my vents were original. They are more than likely getting in from up top. Even though they are large they can get in through a very small space. I had one tiny piece of flashing that had a gap in it at the roof line and that is how they were getting in. 

Until you seal the entire house at every possible entry point they are going to get in. Concerning trapping, I have had luck with both the Have a Heart Traps and snap traps. 

If you go the snap trap route you have to tether them with string or else the rat will get caught in it and die in the wall. You don't want to deal with that mess. 

Peanut butter is the best bait you can use. I wouldn't poison them if I could keep from it. They very well might die in the walls. 

Get the very big snap traps. The ones as big as wide as your hand. 

I also have had luck with glue traps. They won't work on a big one, but they work really well on young ones. 

Did the one you slam in the door die? 

I will PM you my phone number. Call me, and I will be glad to help you. 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    We had this issue several years back with squirrels that had taken up residence in our attic.  We ended up paying a service, there were 10 different entry points where they found the grease stains from the squirrels squeezing through small openings, all on a fairly steep 2-story roof.

They blocked all but one with heavy duty wire mesh, then put a trap on the last set as a one way door so they could get out, but not back in.  After a week, they (the service) came back and fogged the attic with something to get rid of the squirrel smell and replaced the trap/one way door with mesh.  We haven't had any problems since, it was well worth the $ for us in this situation as I wouldn't have known what to do or been comfortable with all of the high roof stuff.
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    caliking said:

Would hardware cloth work?

I found some rodent poop in my garage and attic a while back. I bought one of these from Amazon:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rat-Zapper-Classic-Electronic-Rat-Trap-RZC001/205139993?cm_mmc=shopping-_-bingpa-_-28-_-205139993&ci_src=328768002&ci_sku=205139993

Caught a little bugger the first week and then kinda forgot. I should probably set it up again.

I bought the same thing, but I haven't set it up yet. 

• Smokin_Hombre
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Problem with poison is they go die somewhere (insulation,etc) and then stink and can't find them. Idea they told me is to block of all entry points then trap the ones in attic. Guy said there is activity but fairly early in process. I don't think there are a lot but I am wanting them out. 
    I had some rats in my garage years ago, I tried the store bought glue traps and snap traps along with poison. After I started finding the rat droppings that were the same color as the poison and not catching any in the traps I called an exterminator. He put down some commercial grade traps and bait with poison. After catching a few that were the size of a cat I was glad that I paid for the exterminator. It took a couple of weeks but they are gone and I haven't seen any in at least 12 years.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I'm imagining Chubbs jumping up on a chair and screaming at the sight of rodents of unusual size. Hehe!
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    We had the problem. ID'd the entry points, spent $1000's. The damn rats even ate through concrete sealant where AC wiring enters the house. 

You will never solve the problem until you install drip edge around the entire perimeter of the roof. You might ID spots here and there at the foundation level but the construction gaps in the rook is like the Texas Border - come on in 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Spatchcock one and lay it out for the others to see... 

Any vent or entry pixs? 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited August 2015
    Options
    henapple said:
    Spatchcock one and lay it out for the others to see... 

Any vent or entry pixs? 
    Agree with henapple - any pics? Double layer chicken wire worked for me with Norwegian rats. The light stuff was merely an inconvenience for them. Some heavy 3/4" mesh with a layer of 1/2" or 1/4" seemed to do the trick. 
    Once access is blocked, I like the electronic traps. Easy to get rid of the dead ones and you get at least 10 kills from a set of batteries. Secret is to leave the trap in the space for a couple of days, baited but not set. They get used to it and then, surprise. Snap traps are great if used outside, there is sometimes some gore or maimed crawl aways. Similar issue with the noose traps or poison - they can crawl away and die in a wall somewhere. 
    Victor snap traps with the plastic fast/slow trigger is the best, IMO. 
    Good luck. 
    EDIT - my electronic is a Pest-Stop. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,571
    Options
    I know a dentist with a bow and arrow who can help  ;)
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Boileregger
    Options
    I had one in my garage and got a Victor Electronic Rat trap.  Runs on batteries and shocks the hell out of them.  Bastard was dead within a few hours.  Pricy but I'd rather get 3 or 4 of those than pay what you were quoted.
  • Smokin_Hombre
    Options
    Hey chubbs, I just came across this, evictor.com, it's supposed to get rid of roof rats and more.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Years back I remember hearing some suckers digging around making a warm bed at night in the attic. Went up saw some feces and knew we had a bit of a problem. Set traps, never caught one. I bought that wire meshing and covered all entry points, even 1"chimney points under the eaves as I hear they can squeeze into anything. Kept my eye on the traps , several weeks nothing. I think I also did this when winter was winding down, expecting they would be out and about. I think I was right, years later no feces no sign if rats. Never found a dead one after doing some insulation work also. Good luck!
    Seattle, WA
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I would get another quote and see if the contactor is being crazy with the cost.  This is something I would have to do with a professional, way out of my scope.
  • sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    Options
    This is what you want
    http://www.amazon.com/Rat-Zapper-Ultra-Rodent-RZU001/dp/B00CM859OA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1439137187&sr=8-2&keywords=rat+zapper
    I use them for Chipmunk control around the property ,work GREAT . No kidding .
    Also get one of these
    http://www.amazon.com/Rat-Zapper-Remote-Monitor-12-Foot/dp/B000EAASHG/ref=pd_bxgy_86_img_y
    You plug it into Zapper and let it hang out of your attic door .It will tell you when you got a dead one and the zapper will kill them dead as a door nail .I get chipmunks sometimes two or three a day . Battery use is not much at all ,have same batts for almost two years .
    The Zapper ULTRA with the extension rat tail kicks A$$. Get the ULTRA .

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    This guy will help you out. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    I had squirrels and mice. Thank god no rats!  I used traps and a pepper-based scent bombs to drive them out. Had to go and buy pantyhose to make the bombs, and I'm sure I looked like a middle-eastern rock thrower launching those stink bombs in all corners of the attic....  But they left shortly after!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,950
    Options
    I suggest dynamite.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Chubbs
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Update:  called another company and requested the exact same treatment as the first one suggested. They quoted $1800 for everything. Called the original guy back and talked to him. Explained where he needed to be for me to pull the trigger. I picked the 3 services of 6 suggested and told him I would do the other 3 myself. He ended up saying he would do all 6 for price of the 3. So, for $650, I am getting 11 crawls pace vents reinforced with a steel mesh, my crawl space door reinforced, my whole eave went reinforced with mesh, around my AC lines sealed with concrete, trapping and removal service over a two week period, and a biological/enzyme fog in attic and crawspace. This also comes with a 5 ear warranty. Any rodents, the come treat for no additional charge. Start tomorrow. Thanks for replies and replies and suggestions
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Sounds good to me.