Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone have an awesome spice rack?

Options
so, I have way too many seasoning bottles and nowhere near enough cabinet space.  Does anyone have any awesome spice racks I can copy?  
XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA

Comments

• ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    I have one of these. No picture because I am at work. Doesn't really give you any more space, but it does make it a lot easier to find things.
    http://smile.amazon.com/Seville-Classics-3-Tier-Expandable-Organizer/dp/B001E2864K/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1439087819&sr=8-4&keywords=spice+shelf

Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Please don't take this as a smart ass answer - OK? Ground spices do not have a long shelf life, so unless you use a lot of them frequently then don't waste your money building a large spice rack nor a large inventory of ones that you seldom use. I know this from my own experience and my own waste of money. Even worst yet is buying them in bulk thinking you are saving money. To the naysayers here...yes you can use some old spices, but they lose their "umpt". My suggestion is only stock the ones you use regularly. OK? BTW same way with building up a supply of commercial rubs. I like the idea used by some hunters... "kill what you will eat now and let the rest live until later!" Dead spices in a rack are drying out every day you don't use them. And remember sunlight and heat are killers to bottles spices! Now...OFF my soap box, err I mean off my SPICE box!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bill37
    bill37 Posts: 127
    Options
    containers.com has  a spice rack that fits on the back of a pantry door. It keeps the spices out of the sunlight and frees up cabinet space.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    @RRP  I have 1/2 cup jars I keep in my pantry.  I keep the bulk spices in my deep freeze.  They last about 1-2 years that way.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Good ideas. After this years rub/sauce exchange, I bet a lot of people are looking at ways to organize their spice rack. My wife just told me the other day that I need to figure out a better system. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options
    Smoker317 said:
    This works for us...  Sheet metal purchased at Home Depot and installed on wall.  Spice containers with magnets purchased off of ebay.
    Someone is a Good Eats fan???
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Mine is a test tube rack with hand written names on the cork. pretty simple, and looks 'pretty' enough for the wife. 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Smoker317
    Smoker317 Posts: 238
    Options
    Smoker317 said:
    This works for us...  Sheet metal purchased at Home Depot and installed on wall.  Spice containers with magnets purchased off of ebay.
    Someone is a Good Eats fan???
    Yes, we like Alton Brown.  I wish we had the room and location to attach all of our kitchen knives to magnets like he does on his show.  We were able to replicate in the camper on a smaller scale and we do keep knives on magnets in the camper along with our half a dozen must-have spices.
    Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • txhawkeye
    txhawkeye Posts: 279
    Options
    I recently installed these from Vertical Spice and I am thrilled with them.   HERE is a short video if you want to know more about them.

Thanks for sharing, that looks pretty slick.
  • SandyHookEgger
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Shelf life on these?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    spice girls, nice rack. 

or just nice rack.   Cazzy should chime in here, he just did a fancy spice storage system.

Options
    I actually saw  the @cazzy set up. It was cool, I just don't have the drawer space for it
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    This is our swing out 24" deep pantry with the spice racks on the left and right sides. 

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Ha! Ron has the bat cave of spices
  • GuitarEC
    GuitarEC Posts: 122
    Options
    "Quick Robin!!  To the Spice Cave!!"
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    I recently installed these from Vertical Spice and I am thrilled with them.   HERE is a short video if you want to know more about them.

I have these as well - super well built and made to fit just about any cabinet. Not cheap, but I've never come across something like these before
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    spice girls, nice rack. 

or just nice rack.   

D@mn if that want make your sticker peck up!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    spice girls, nice rack. 

or just nice rack.   

D@mn if that want make your sticker peck up!
    Was at Mexican restauraunt last night and guy playing live music played Ripple.  I was never a deadhead, but man that brought back memories...
    Gregg
    Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
    Marietta, GA
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    One of my request upon death is to have it played at my funeral. I hope they have to dig it out of the archives to find it.....if you know what I mean. This week has been the days between (Born 8/1 and his death 8/9. He had a soulful voice and was obviously a tremendous guitar player. Time for a sig change. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow