Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is everyone's experience doing Low and slow wings

Options
Looking approx temps and times ish

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    did these along time ago and now cook them more towards 300 for about half the time. different taste/texture/never greasey, i like to mix it up with hotter cooks from time to time as well
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/491362/low-and-slow-crispy-chicken-wings

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    I always cook them low and slow:  300F, raised direct for about an hour.  Flip the last 15 minutes.  
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    Options
    I smoke then fry. Smoke for about an hour at around 225-250. Then fry them. Sometimes I bread them too. Crispy and smoky! I have learned to fry outside though otherwise the house smells for days.
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    busmania said:
    I smoke then fry. Smoke for about an hour at around 225-250. Then fry them. Sometimes I bread them too. Crispy and smoky! I have learned to fry outside though otherwise the house smells for days.
    Mmmmmm... Fried smoked chicken house smells...
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    Well I did the wings for about just under 2 hours at 300f.

Best wings I have done yet. Even SWMBO said so.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    busmania said:
    I love smoked and fried wings!!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I do my Jerk Wings low and slow. 275ish for 2 1/2- 3 hours. With Pimento wood smoke! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    @hondabbq was the skin crispy?  Only time I've done them that low and slow the skin was like rubber.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    App 240 mins or so......
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• chadpsualum
    Options
    I did wings this past weekend and they were the best I've done to date.

I bought whole wings so I had to break them up first.  Then I tossed them (lightly) in corn starch and then a rub.  I put them on a cooling rack and put in the fridge for ~4 hours to set/dry.

I got the egg going indirect, ~350-360F for about 1hr to 1hr 15 min (flipping once).  The skin got really crispy.  I lightly brushed w/ sauce and let go for another 5-10 min before taking off and eating.  Fantastic.
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    I did wings this past weekend and they were the best I've done to date.

I bought whole wings so I had to break them up first.  Then I tossed them (lightly) in corn starch and then a rub.  I put them on a cooling rack and put in the fridge for ~4 hours to set/dry.

I got the egg going indirect, ~350-360F for about 1hr to 1hr 15 min (flipping once).  The skin got really crispy.  I lightly brushed w/ sauce and let go for another 5-10 min before taking off and eating.  Fantastic.

This.  Although I don't cook them quite that long.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    I always go low and slow for wings, you can't beat the texture. I do about 275 raised with a rub then sauce when they are done, usually in a little over 2 hours.
    I do turn them at least once and rearrange them to keep them all cooking evenly.
    I also will rotate my adjustable rig every 20 minutes or so if I have hot spots in the fire. 
  • hondabbq
    Options
    @hondabbq was the skin crispy?  Only time I've done them that low and slow the skin was like rubber.
    Mine were crispy. 
    I dusted with DP and let them sit out for about 90 minutes or so then put them on. I looked at them after an hour or so and I was nervous looking at them as they were rubbery lookin. But I stayed the course and they were awesome. 
  • hondabbq
    Options
    Mickey said:
    App 240 mins or so......
    Do you get a commission from someone every time you post this pic or what??? Lol 
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited August 2015
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    Mickey said:
    App 240 mins or so......
    Do you get a commission from someone every time you post this pic or what??? Lol 

I believe this happens when you cook wings without the DFMT. LOL.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    @Mickey, is this a new chicken flavored lump? ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    @Mickey, is this a new chicken flavored lump? ;)
    Yep....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.