Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I need to be immunized!

Options
bdavidson
bdavidson Posts: 411
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Gordon, Tim, Kenny G, et al,
I just bought a new Gateway in the spring, but the anti-virus software included in the package does not automatically update (to my knowledge)as Gordon spoke of. Can you access this $29/year service online? What's the best protection and do you have a URL? I have too many recipes on my computer that I can't afford to lose!!!!

Comments

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    bdavidson,[p]I've had good luck with Mcafee which my company provides. Somehow, it also finds it way to my home machine. It's relatively inexpensive and virus signature updates are available online. I don't use the automatic update feature but it's available. Fortunately for yesterday's incident, I had just updated a week ago.[p]K~G

[ul][li]Mcafee anti virus[/ul]
  • BD
    BD Posts: 87
    Options
    KennyG,
    Thanks for the link.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    bdavidson, go ahead and spring for the price of a copy of Norton Anti-Virus (NAV). It has an update program so that you can get updated periodically (I do it once a week - you can set it up to your own schedule and doing it daily like Gfw). The IBM anti-virus labs merged with Norton last year so that you've really got some of the best people in the world working on. McAfee is also good but I'm a little partial to Norton. By the way, I think Spin set the record with his 26,000+ infected files. When I first started using an AV program I found about 50 on my machine. It's unfortunate but if you want to use the Internet (which Al Gore invented) you must protect yourself from viruses (did Al invent the virus as well?). [p]Even if your machine is running fine, you'll be surprised at how many infected files you have. And when you get them corrected, you'll be surprised to find that some quirky things no longer happen with your machine.