Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spray Foam.... Advantages and Disadvantages?

Options
I haven't posted in a while because we sold our house.  My wife and I are closing on a new home on the 26th! The house needs some work!  It needs some added insulation in the attic.  I'm wondering if anybody has any knowledge or thoughts on spray foam insulation? We are going to need the attic space for storage.    Thanks in advance for any info.  I can't wait to get back to egging. 
Kennesaw Ga. XL Egg. Cheers, Kevin

Comments

• b0atnutz
    b0atnutz Posts: 34
    Options
    I can tell you there are many different types we used a Soy base eco friendly type and it is mold and mildew resistant . Seal the house up like nothing we ever expected and made the walls stronger as it adhered to the framing members and sheathing. Maker was Carboline not cheap but in the long run worth every penny. Guessing due to the special machine and material. Can not be done in dead of heat drums will expand and lose of product flows out. Jerry
  • Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Options
    If you can afford it do it. Nothing compares to it.
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • Bentgrass
    Bentgrass Posts: 443
    Options
    A must have- might, just might be more important than a BGE.
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • StillSmoken
    Options
    Thanks for weighing in guys.  I'm trying to figure out if it would be worth it to just do the attic.  The house was built in 1974.  
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Isn't it 3-4 x cost? Love seeing Holmes on homes do it though. I need to redo mine as I have lots of leakage in a section causing a bit of ice damning.
    Seattle, WA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    The only disadvantage to spray foam is the cost.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options

Except that, depending on how much of the house you foam, you could actually recoup a major portion (if not all) of that investment in heating/cooling savings. So, really, that "disadvantage" is only immediate, out of pocket expenses.
  • Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Options
    If you plan on living there for a good portion of your life span it will repay you many,many fold. If you move it will be a great selling point and any good realtor will price the house as such.
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    There is open cell and closed cell.  Google the difference. 
    I put it in a converted what we call a Florida room ceiling (3 season room - no air or heat). The ceiling was just standard 2x6 joists, sunroof then asphalt shingles.  Ran heat/air, put a new roof on, and sprayed it, then put 3/4" red oak quarter sawn planks on it as the ceiling.  It is now comfy in all but the coldest nights (single digits).  I would do it again in a heartbeat.  No way could I get the same "R" rating any other way. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    onedbguru said:

Except that, depending on how much of the house you foam, you could actually recoup a major portion (if not all) of that investment in heating/cooling savings. So, really, that "disadvantage" is only immediate, out of pocket expenses.
    No doubt. It's just the initial sticker shock but amatorization fixes that.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Careful spraying it under the roof if you live in a hot climate. The sun will heat the shingles and the heat can't go down into the attic so it cooks the shingles. It can cut the life of your shingles in half. But if you live in a hail area like I do then the shingles never last their expected life anyway. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• StillSmoken
    Options
    Toxarch that is one of the things that concerns me.  Thanks for all the info guys. 
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    How is the roof itself?  If its old and needs replacing, I'd do my shingle research and see who has problems with spray foam.  I know here in Atlanta, there are companies that will install a 1 inch trough in the back of the roof to allow air flow from the soffits to the ridge vents to allow the roof deck and shingles to breathe. 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Only disadvantage is upfront cost huh?  Disagree. I have over the last 15 yrs been in contact with several friends and business acquaintances that are licensed for this. Each form has its benefits and negatives. No doubt it can be beneficial when focusing on only the R value aspect (that's sorta of a gimmie isn't it?). My suggestion is do your OWN research and make your decision based on your findings. Most importantly hire a reputable licenced contractor that does this and has a list of references. Supposedly it makes a home more structurally sound in hurricane prone areas and this has been debated as well. 
    https://youtu.be/K2ns7mXG_-E

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • StillSmoken
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL  thanks for the info.  I'm definitely getting quotes from many licensed contractors.  I'm not totally sold on the idea.  My wife is pushing for it.