Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about hardwood lump

Options
When I bought my eggs, the dealer threw in a 20 lb bag ($24.95) of the BGE lump.  When I picked up my grill table the builder threw in a 20lb bag of Primo lump. He buys it by the pallet for $14.00 a bag, as he has a big family and 6 eggs.

I have seen discussions here about other brands, with their pros and cons and some are regional.  Today at the ACE hardware I saw that they carry Royal Oak hardwood lump at $9.95 for a 17.8lb bag.  Is this lump any good, because the price seems awfully fair.?

Thanks
Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    BGE lump is just rebranded Royal Oak, so, yeah, it's a decent lump for a good price.

Lots of discussions on here about lump.  Personally, I like some of the "premium brands", but if Royal Oak works for you, there's certainly nothing wrong with it.
    NOLA
  • chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Options
    Lot of different opinions on lump. Buy a bag and check it out--see if it works for you. 

I use RO and like it fine. Hard to beat your price too. 
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • BIll-W221
    BIll-W221 Posts: 279
    Options
    The Royal Oak is the same as the BGE lump and neither are highly thought of by most. There is a reason it is so cheap. Once I tried a "better" lump I would never go back to BGE or RO. But this has been discussed to death by many with much more knowledge than I.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Royal Oak is perfectly fine. Some burn longer and/or start faster. Rockwood is very popular, as is Fogo.
  • Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Options
    Thanks guys.  I have seen more than one reference to Rockwood, I just don't know if I can find it here in Central FL.

Also I just remembered my dealer is carrying a new brand for them, "Wicked Good".  I called and asked them and it is a little more pricey at $28.95.  I did see a review on NakedWhiz that rated it pretty good.

Hope you guys don't mind the questions, I am just trying to learn and avoid mistakes along the way.
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Ace in fl should be able to order Rockwood by the bag, also Firecraft.com will deliver.  No shipping on orders over $99
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    That's crazy expensive for WG. It's one of my favorites but I only pay about $21. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    WG is excellent. $28.95 is ridiculous! I've used plenty of it, but at about $13 a bag picked up at their warehouse in Mass (about 30 miles away). Just for convenience, I mostly buy RO from Home Depot. Perfectly happy with it.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    check the Royal Oak to make sure it says "made in America" or USA or whatever, as opposed to South America.

the south american stuff throws sparks like you read about
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    check the Royal Oak to make sure it says "made in America" or USA or whatever, as opposed to South America.

Oh, and the US stuff doesn't? LOL. Never used SA RO and don't know about differences, but the US version throws plenty of sparks. Lighting with oil and paper towel solves that though. Or even starter cubes.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Sonny3
    Options
    Thanks to all for the tips.  I checked the ACE site and Rockwood doesn't come up in the search.  I checked the Firecraft site and if I ordered 3 bags (which should last a while) including shipping it would be $79.84 or $26.61 per bag.  Shipping is $13.95 total and the coal is $21.95 per bag.

Like everything else associated with BGE, I have a plethora of options.  My brain is whirring with the options.  Think I just need to get off the computer and go cook for a solid 3 or 4 days.

Problem right now is that the Beer Can chicken I cooked last night was so big that we have leftovers for tonight. 

Or as a horse ranching buddy of mine from Idaho would say, "We're having used food for dinner".
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Ask your local ACE. I'm pretty sure they can order 1 bag of rock wood. 

@stlcharcoal  ?
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    I love my Royal Oak from home depot!
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Sonny3 said:
    Thanks to all for the tips.  I checked the ACE site and Rockwood doesn't come up in the search.  I checked the Firecraft site and if I ordered 3 bags (which should last a while) including shipping it would be $79.84 or $26.61 per bag.  Shipping is $13.95 total and the coal is $21.95 per bag.

Like everything else associated with BGE, I have a plethora of options.  My brain is whirring with the options.  Think I just need to get off the computer and go cook for a solid 3 or 4 days.

Problem right now is that the Beer Can chicken I cooked last night was so big that we have leftovers for tonight. 

Or as a horse ranching buddy of mine from Idaho would say, "We're having used food for dinner".
    Check the Where to Buy section of the Rockwood site - it explains how to order from Ace in Florida (you have to give them the specific SKU number).  That said, here in SE Florida, it's $25.99/bag at Ace.  Best bet is to buy 4 bags from Firecraft and some filler (or five bags) and have it shipped for free. I hate paying for shipping. And don't worry about the lump breaking during shipment - my bags shipped from Firecraft have pieces the size of my forearm (saving those for the low and slow cooks). I thought four bags would last a while but I don't cook that much and its barely been a month and I'm already on bag 3 (granted I played a bit with temp control with nothing on the grill while learning, but even so, I expected 6 months from four bags and I'll be lucky with 3).
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options

RW throws lots of sparks with my Looftlighter. RO is worse than that? If so, yikes!
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    Lump is like a** holes, everyone has one!  Everyone also has an opinion on what lump is best.  Use what you feel works best for you.  The only way to find out is to try everything until you think you found what works best.  
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Sonny3
    Options
    @theyolksonyou , I will, the next time I am down that way.  Thanks.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

@stlcharcoal  ?

Any Ace in Florida can order it.......SKU 8400772.  Will take about a week to show up at the store--north side of the state takes less time than the south side.  It doesn't show up on the website because it's not available online nationwide.  Pricing varies quite a bit between stores from what I've heard.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    I'm talking about sparks during the cook. Fantastic way to ruin a pizza
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• HeavyDutyHemi
    Options
    My ace just started carrying the Rockwood at 25 a bag. They also sell the wicked good. It's like a grill store in there now lots of stuff. I am still on my first bag of bge and have a bag of ro to try next.
    St Johns, FL 1 lbge
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options

@stlcharcoal  ?

Any Ace in Florida can order it.......SKU 8400772.  Will take about a week to show up at the store--north side of the state takes less time than the south side.  It doesn't show up on the website because it's not available online nationwide.  Pricing varies quite a bit between stores from what I've heard.
    My local ACE (southeast FL) gets deliveries from the GA warehouse every Wednesday and Saturday. They need only a couple of days lead time to include it in their order. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Tbla
    Tbla Posts: 57
    Options
    I have only tried a few.   Royal oak and BGE are good for me.   However - I see no reason to spend the extra money on BGE.   I tried Cowboy - hated it for anything but low n slow.   Tossed 1/4 bag after it not working well for higher temp cooking.  Just bought some RW through Firecraft.    Haven't tried it yet though.    

Woodbury, MN.   LBGE, Weber gasser, ECB
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    BGE lump in Columbia is running at least $30 a bag the local ACE Hardware (the ACE Cayce/West Columbia for you local boys).  I was shocked.  I noticed at Lowes the other day they had a Frontier brand for $14 for a 20# bag.  I'm planning to try some of that to hold me over until my RW supply is reestablished.  Figured at that price it is worth a try.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Ivanhoe
    Ivanhoe Posts: 223
    Options
    Not many choices (or at least that I know about around my area) but after the BGE lump was gone, I tried RO and the first bag had lots of med and small chunks. I wasn't too impressed. The current bag of RO is just the opposite, lots of large and med chunks....Overall I am happy with it.
    Tulare, CA - Large BGE
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Royal Oak is perfectly fine. Some burn longer and/or start faster. Rockwood is very popular, as is Fogo.
    100% Agree, in fact it's all I use. No issues here.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    4Runner said:
    BGE lump in Columbia is running at least $30 a bag the local ACE Hardware (the ACE Cayce/West Columbia for you local boys).  I was shocked.  I noticed at Lowes the other day they had a Frontier brand for $14 for a 20# bag.  I'm planning to try some of that to hold me over until my RW supply is reestablished.  Figured at that price it is worth a try.  
    I am making a run to Charlotte this weekend (family bitness) and plan to pick up some RW while there. Let me know if you want me to pick you up some. They proud of it up there....but can bring you a few bags if you want.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    edited August 2015
    Options
    4Runner said:
    I am making a run to Charlotte this weekend (family bitness) and plan to pick up some RW while there. Let me know if you want me to pick you up some. They proud of it up there....but can bring you a few bags if you want.
    Thanks for the offer @northGAcock  I'm still sitting on 6 bags right now so I'm not desperate just yet.  What are they running in Charlotte?  Also, message coming your way.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    The are running about $32 bucks but i always have a $5 off....so get it for $27. I go up frequently as my son and my wife's 7 brothers and sisters live up there. If I get in a pinch...i'll order some for home delivery, but have limited storage.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow