Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My local egg dealer.

I had to test drive a car this morning and stopped by my local egg dealer. The conversation went like this: 

Me- "good morning"

Him- "morning"

Me- "I'd like to get a cast iron grid for the small/minimax"

Him- "they don't make one"

Me- "yes they do"

Him- "no big green egg doesn't"

Me- "they actually do"

Him- "where did you see this?"

Me- "hmm.. Everywhere."

Him- "well if that was true everyone would have it, including me!"

Me- "have a nice day"

Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 

Comments

• Find a new dealer...
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    What a jackass.  You should email him this link:
    http://www.biggreenegg.com/eggcessories/cooking-grids-racks-extenders-pans/cast-iron-cooking-grids/

Cast Iron Cooking Grid for a Small or MiniMax EGG – 13CI

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    IMO Dealers are the biggest thing holding back BGE from further success as a product/business. Instead of elevating the experience, they foul it. I don't believe they make any money on the warranty items or even aftermarket products (what's the margin on a CI grid?) so they don't have any drive to provide customer service other than selling new eggs.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    OMG :rofl: 
    Small CI grid. And if you want a pizza stone the medium is the one you get. I guess some "dealers" need eggsperience too. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Try Fireside in Augusta. Greig has most everything for BGE in stock.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Try Fireside in Augusta. Greig has most everything for BGE in stock.
    I just never get to Augusta. But yeah I guess I will!
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    edited August 2015
    Most retail sales drones in most retail sales storefronts are generally not well versed in the products they sell so I quit being surprised by those displays of ignorance/befuddlement/confusion many many moons ago.

I'm curious how active/involved that dealer may be in the whole BGE scene. Are  they one of that type of dealer that just keeps a few in the store but doesn't really sell that many of them?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• rmercier
    rmercier Posts: 212
    The 2 dealers I have dealt with in my area are quite knowledgeable and helpful.
    LBGE in Northern VA
  • I too struggle with the dealers in my area. I have found that I know more of what is going on than them on most topics and issues.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    lol ... I'm looking in my handy dandy BGE catalogue - here it is. Maybe I can send him a copy.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Try Fireside in Augusta. Greig has most everything for BGE in stock.
    They are a great store with everything you could ever want. I stop in every time I'm in Augusta. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • The ACE near our house just started stocking BGE's less than a year ago.  I had a similar experience getting a 10CI for the mini, but they simply stated they weren't versed in BGE yet and that they would look into it.  They got me the grid in 3 days.  I don't expect them to be experts, but everyone in sales should know not to be an a-hole.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Raymont said:
    IMO Dealers are the biggest thing holding back BGE from further success as a product/business. Instead of elevating the experience, they foul it. I don't believe they make any money on the warranty items or even aftermarket products (what's the margin on a CI grid?) so they don't have any drive to provide customer service other than selling new eggs.
    I'm pretty torn about this statement because I want to say that I disagree with this but I've seen it go both ways with different dealers in my area.  I think that there are plenty of great dealers out there that are very knowledgeable about the products and do a lot to elevate the experience.  Dizzy Pig, happens to be the dealer I bought my egg from and use most of the time and they're a great example of being knowledgeable and elevating the brand/experience.  They host classes regularly you can attend, have 2 eggfests each year, summer and fall, and stock a lot of BGE and BBQ products.  Dizzy Pig is pretty close to my office so it's not bad for me to get to during the week.  However there's another dealer that is actually less than 2 miles from my home and the last time I went there they had very little stock of anything BGE or BBQ related.  I pretty much don't go there at all anymore because I didn't enjoy the original experience, which is unfortunate given how close they are to my house.  BGE and BBQ is not this dealers main business, and I don't think they make as much money off of BGE so it's there but more of an after thought for them.  Both dealers however are listed on the BGE site as "Authorized Gold Dealers," so I'm not quite sure what that means considering one seems far superior than the other to me.   I think that BGE or the local BGE distributors in each area should do a dealer network restructuring and get rid of some dealers that really aren't helping the brand or the customers but I'm not sure that will happen either.  
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • Texansurf
    Texansurf Posts: 507
    I can excuse a sales person for not knowing, but to emphatically state something so easy to look up and verify.  I was hired to manage a bicycle shop and computerize the inventory system in the mid-90's.  By the end of the first quarter I knew a lot about bike parts and how to look them up.

A successful sales person is a problem solver.  

The conversation should have been:

I want a CI for a small BGE.

I didn't know they made one, let me check the catalog.
    Oh, here it is... I don't think we have one in stock let me check.  Sorry we don't have one, but I can have it for you in. ?  days...

Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    OMG :rofl: 
    Small CI grid. And if you want a pizza stone the medium is the one you get. I guess some "dealers" need eggsperience too. 
    I used the medium stone in my MM what's wrong with that?
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    @Jeremiah I am afraid to ask, but was the dealer PA in Aiken? 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Ivanhoe
    Ivanhoe Posts: 223
    My local dealer is mainly an appliance company and Eggs are a verrrrry minor addition to their store. They are friendly and want to help but they are still very limited to the basics of the egg. I find myself holding back in conversations and/or explaining to them what the names of their products are for fear of making them feel ignorant.  Knowing this, I go in if I need something "NOW" or have to have a BGE product not found on the internet. Otherwise, most of my add ons are purchased online. Thanks to this awesome site, I have a great source of educators and information. I even mentioned this site to the store, and got the proverbial "deer in the headlights" stare.
    Tulare, CA - Large BGE
  • johnkitchens
    I would love to be an egg dealer. I think that would be a fun job. 

• I would love to be an egg dealer. I think that would be a fun job. 
    After a 10 year run, I still find it very fun to help others with their first Egg purchases.  

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    The dealer may not be a first tier for the distributor and/or does not carry everything. I hear the distributors run a net 30 so it becomes a cash issue for carrying the less popular eggsessories. The small % he might make (35-40&?) is not worth the carrying cost. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    My dealer doesn't carry much. But anytime I ask about something, if they don't know they'll at least make a phone call. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Jeremiah
    No, the other one in town. What makes it worse (at least for me as I must be a gluten for punishment) is this is the same guy that I asked to start stocking OO and told him that I was paying $11 a bag online. When he got it in he wanted $19 a bag!
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Jeremiah said:
    No, the other one in town. What makes it worse (at least for me as I must be a gluten for punishment) is this is the same guy that I asked to start stocking OO and told him that I was paying $11 a bag online. When he got it in he wanted $19 a bag!
    I can't buy lump by the pallet delivered to my store for 11 per bag. Were they 20#. No wonder everyone loves them. Sorry to hear of these incidents with your dealers. I cannot imagine how they stay open. They must have another side of their business that is far more lucrative. I can tell you a dealer has to move a ton of grills and accessories just to pay the bills. They have to make a profit. That said, I can't see how one does it with the attitude you describe him having. Good luck. 
  • johnkitchens
    I think I am ready for a career change. Too bad for me there is already an Egg dealer here. : (

• Jeremiah
    edited August 2015
    Jeremiah said:
    I can't buy lump by the pallet delivered to my store for 11 per bag. Were they 20#. No wonder everyone loves them. Sorry to hear of these incidents with your dealers. I cannot imagine how they stay open. They must have another side of their business that is far more lucrative. I can tell you a dealer has to move a ton of grills and accessories just to pay the bills. They have to make a profit. That said, I can't see how one does it with the attitude you describe him having. Good luck. 
    No they were 10#.  And yeah he's a pool supply/ repair store. If I had the cash backing I'd seriously think about opening my own store. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    It would be fun, but I have sh¡tty people skills. 
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    I hope BGE is reading the complaints about the Gold dealers. This is the third thread just this week complaining that many Gold dealers don't know jack about BGEs and are really hurting the brand. BGE needs to tightly control who is a Gold dealer and crack down on the local reps freely giving that designation to stores who clearly don't deserve it.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • johnkitchens
    It would be fun, but I have sh¡tty people skills. 
    I highly doubt that! 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    @johnkitchens hate to disappoint, but I'm a first class a-hole. 
  • johnkitchens
    @johnkitchens hate to disappoint, but I'm a first class a-hole. 
     I don't believe that for a minute.