Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do you pay freight on warranty issues?

Options
I have had a few warranty issues in the past and the dealer always just brought in my parts with next stocking order and never charged any freight. That dealer has since gone out of business and the new one is requiring I pay freight now even if I wait for stock order. Is this normal and I was just fortunate before?
LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
Columbus IN

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    They should just throw it in with the next stock order.  I'd look for a new dealer if he's wanting to charge you for freight 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    They should just throw it in with the next stock order.  I'd look for a new dealer if he's wanting to charge you for freight 
    I second this.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • BigGreenPackerFan
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    I second this.

I agree as well. They should not charge freight with a stocking order.

• HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    edited August 2015
    Options
    That sounds shady to me as well. Consider contacting BGE directly. They have a warranty email address.

Send photos, proof of purchase, and address in an e-mail to: warranty@biggreenegg.com
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. That is what I thought too but I thought maybe I was spoiled from my original dealer. I work in a town with another dealer so I believe I will just try them out and see how I come out. Thanks all!
    Columbus IN
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited August 2015
    Options
    i would say the only tweak to the previous comments is that many many dealers do say that they will 'include your part in our next shipment' and don't charge you for the shipping. 

but there's no corporate rule that they 'should'. this is just simply what the good/better dealers do.

call the distributor, and ask them if there is a dealer near you who gets more regular shipments. 

part of the issue is that your present dealer may not be getting a monthly shipment of inventory, which means there is no 'next shipment' any time soon to toss your part in with.

and so maybe they are chaffing at paying for the freight, which (for a firebox for ex) can be chunky

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited August 2015
    Options
    site keeps sh!tting the bed when I try to edit.  so a follow-up:

try calling your distributor directly. skip the dealer.  up here (NH/MA) the dealers come and go and don't know jack.  witness reversed domes, and head scratching when asking about replacement parts.

sometimes easier to call your distributor and pick up a part if they are anywhere close.  no waiting, no shipping, and no dealing with dealers who know less than you do about this thing.  you guys down south have it easier.  up here the dealers are pool stores with a grill for sale in the corner, everything dusty
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• HofstraJet
    edited August 2015
    Options
     you guys down south have it easier.  up here the dealers are pool stores with a grill for sale in the corner, everything dusty
    Yeah, and they are still somehow listed as a Gold dealer. :o We have the same issue down here in SE Florida. But I found one good dealer who is what you would expect from a Gold dealer.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited August 2015
    Options
    If they're just throwing it on a pallet with 3-4 eggs and a ton of accessories, your pro rata shipping charge should be $1-2.  Distributors are usually in state or the next state over, so freight should be cheap even on 1000# in the volume rates they get.  Unless the dealer is special ordering the part, it's kind crappy for you to pay anything or more than your fair share.

I had a $50 cell phone case break on me and filled out the warranty form.  They said they'd ship me a new one, but wanted $10 for the postage.  It shows up via First Class Mail at a commercial rate which is about $2.  So I figure that other $8 paid for the plastic--I got the thing at cost.  $10 is better than $50, but that kind of stuff still ticks me off.
  • Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Options
    I just got my eggs, so no problems yet.  But yesterday I was in the dealership and was relaying that on this forum there are warranty discussions and how good BGE is about addressing them.  He told me if I had any issues to let them know.  If they handle it for me there will not be any freight charge like there would be if I go to BGE direct.  Guess I lucked out and got one of the better dealers.
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • HofstraJet
    Options
    Sonny3 said:
    I just got my eggs, so no problems yet.  But yesterday I was in the dealership and was relaying that on this forum there are warranty discussions and how good BGE is about addressing them.  He told me if I had any issues to let them know.  If they handle it for me there will not be any freight charge like there would be if I go to BGE direct.  Guess I lucked out and got one of the better dealers.
    Odd - I had BGE directly handle a warranty claim and there were no freight charges.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    Sonny3 said:
    Odd - I had BGE directly handle a warranty claim and there were no freight charges.
    BGE will help with a warranty claim if you have issues with the dealer and warranty. BGE won't typically ship anything out as they would have to eat the freight charge.  They will add to a dealer shipment 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    Is there a list of distribution centers anywhere?
    Columbus IN