Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Calling all SC Eggheads

Options
I have a couple of questions for the local upstate SC folks.

1. My go-to lump is Royal Oak which I find a Home Depot, but constantly read folks on here talk up Rockwood, Ozark Oak and several others. I have not been able to find anything local other than what is carried at Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart and of course BGE lump. What are you all using and where are you getting it?

2. I purchased my XL from a dealer in Greenville last year and feel like I got a good deal, but was not overly impressed with the 2 month turn around for a warranty plate setter. Their reason was that they would put it on their next order, rather than a special order. Apparently they don't move enough BGE product to turn a warranty around in what I would feel is reasonable which would be a couple weeks, not months. So with that being said, who is the preferred dealer in the upstate that has the best pricing and customer service? I am in the market for a MiniMax and would like to give my business to someone that is more responsive.

3. Is there any eggfest event coming up around here anytime soon that you know of?

Thank you all for your input! Happy egging!
Lake Keowee, SC
XLarge, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
Custom Table, KAB, Woo2, Guru DigiQ DX2,
Family of 5 Meat Eaters

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I can't help you with much of this, but concerning lump I can tell you that Ozark Oak is no longer available. I order Rockwood from Firecraft.com.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options

California has no lump of any quality available in stores. I only buy online and in bulk.  Maybe @SMITTYtheSMOKER can help you out with your dealer questions

Hermosa Beach CA 
  • heartmedic
    Options
    I live in Easley and bought my BGE last year. I have been using the BGE lump up until this summer and have been using the Royal Oak from Home Depot because its cheaper and the reviews. Have not been real impressed. The coals seem smaller and burn faster. I want to try the Rockwood, but have not bought it yet. The Ace Hardware in Clemson on Hwy 123 sells it. I called them and it was around $25. I would call first to make sure they have it.   
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Try to find a "market" or specialty grocery store. I am in Columbia and I can get Nature Glo from meat market or Fogo from a natural grocery market. Way better than what you are using and cheaper. 

The he dealer doesn't want to pay extra freight. He is being a cheap azz. Tell him to place the order or call mothership. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    We've had our BGE for a long time. We have good luck finding a good assortment of lump at Buchanan Fire and Outdoor in Travelers Rest. They are a Kamado dealer. They have a nicely stocked showroom of accessories. We use mostly Kamado Joe and Ozark Oak, which they still had some in stock the last time we went. We use them for our outdoor propane tank that goes to our gas logs also. Great service. As far as a BGE dealer, when we moved here, we started using Craft Stove in Greenville for anything we needed for upgrading and warranty. They do a great job. Not sure of the pricing for new eggs.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I can't help you with much of this, but concerning lump I can tell you that Ozark Oak is no longer available. I order Rockwood from Firecraft.com.
    +1
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • A5firearms
    A5firearms Posts: 163
    Options
    I live in Easley and bought my BGE last year. I have been using the BGE lump up until this summer and have been using the Royal Oak from Home Depot because its cheaper and the reviews. Have not been real impressed. The coals seem smaller and burn faster. I want to try the Rockwood, but have not bought it yet. The Ace Hardware in Clemson on Hwy 123 sells it. I called them and it was around $25. I would call first to make sure they have it.   
    Great info - thank you! I am not far from Clemson so I will head over to Ace next week and see what they have. Thanks!
    Lake Keowee, SC
    Family of 5 Meat Eaters
  • A5firearms
    Options

Dredger said:
    We've had our BGE for a long time. We have good luck finding a good assortment of lump at Buchanan Fire and Outdoor in Travelers Rest. They are a Kamado dealer. They have a nicely stocked showroom of accessories. We use mostly Kamado Joe and Ozark Oak, which they still had some in stock the last time we went. We use them for our outdoor propane tank that goes to our gas logs also. Great service. As far as a BGE dealer, when we moved here, we started using Craft Stove in Greenville for anything we needed for upgrading and warranty. They do a great job. Not sure of the pricing for new eggs.

Never been to Buchanan, but will stop in next time I am in TR. Thank you for the heads up
    Lake Keowee, SC
    Family of 5 Meat Eaters
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    They're good people. We buy our propane tanks there for the Volcano and get a discount since they do our big tank for the fireplace. It's all good.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I travel up to Charlotte frequently. Love the folks at Blackhawk Hardware. Plenty of Rockwood for for my needs.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Gamecockeggman
    Options
    I'm in the same boat brother.  I have been working on our local academy sports store and they say they will look into carrying it.  Otherwise it's natural glo from the butcher or royal oak from lowes.  Best of luck and go Cocks!,
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, when you had to wait 2 months for warranty platesetter as you waited for their next order, did they charge you freight when you finally got it?
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • A5firearms
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, when you had to wait 2 months for warranty platesetter as you waited for their next order, did they charge you freight when you finally got it?
    No they did not make me pay anything. Is it normal to pay freight on warranty items?
    Lake Keowee, SC
    Family of 5 Meat Eaters
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    The ace hardware in Spartanburg carries rockwood for around $25 a bag.  
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • smokeonthewater
    Options
    My local Ace doesn't carry Rockwood, but they'll order it for me. They carry it in their warehouse, so you may want to check on that. I usually order 3-5 bags at a time. BTW, I'm in Greenwood, SC.
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    No they did not make me pay anything. Is it normal to pay freight on warranty items?
    That is kind what I am searching for too. I have never paid freight before on warranty issues when I was willing to wait but now a new dealer is asking me to. I will start a new conversation so as not to hijack this one anymore. Thanks!
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN