Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Selling the BGE?

Options

I don't understand some of the listings of selling the BGE on craigslist. Like this one:

http://albany.craigslist.org/app/5156963320.html

What I don't get is how it looks like it was well used but has next to no eggsessories? No Woo, no plate setter, no pizza plate etc..... Would they be keeping these eggs if they had more eggsessories and fully utilized the eggs' capability? This one is going for $600 bucks which I think is a little high considering you are getting next to nothing with it.

Winchester, Virginia LBGE, MiniMax

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I think so. Most people just try to use it like their weber and think they find out their weber was a better grill. It's just not meant to be used in the same ways. I see people with lighter fluid and briquettes in their eggs all the time. It's sad.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    I think so. Most people just try to use it like their weber and think they find out their weber was a better grill. It's just not meant to be used in the same ways. I see people with lighter fluid and briquettes in their eggs all the time. It's sad.
    Yup. For many people a Weber honestly does what they need and an Egg is overkill. There is certainly more of a learning curve with an Egg. I love mine but not what everyone needs
    Boom
  • dmirish1
    dmirish1 Posts: 115
    Options
    Seems to me if you're gonna drop nearly a grand on a grill, you might want to know and do everything that the grill is capable of.

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    dmirish1 said:
    Seems to me if you're gonna drop nearly a grand on a grill, you might want to know and do everything that the grill is capable of.
    a fool and his money are soon parted

just skim a for sale section for almost any product and see people constantly buy expensive things, don't use/understand how to use, and then sell at a pretty substantial loss
    Boom
  • rmercier
    rmercier Posts: 212
    edited August 2015
    Options
    $600 is a little high? I paid $900 for my egg (new) and nest...that's it, no mates. This at least comes with the mates, a starter, cover and 3 grates. Seems like a good deal to me. All of this would have cost me about 1200 new.
    LBGE in Northern VA
  • rmercier
    rmercier Posts: 212
    Options
    Also, maybe this guy is moving and can't handle the move of the egg or maybe moving to an apartment. Maybe he is getting divorced or just needs the money
    LBGE in Northern VA
  • dmirish1
    Options
    It didn't look to me like he was selling anything that looked like a deflector for indirect of any sort.  Almost looks like they never used one. I would almost assume since they really arent fully using its capabilities then they may not have always been using lump coal either. Most likely treated it like any other regular grill. I wouldn't be surprised to smell lighter fluid.

• RollTideRob
    Options
    rmercier said:
    $600 is a little high? I paid $900 for my egg (new) and nest...that's it, no mates. This at least comes with the mates, a starter, cover and 3 grates. Seems like a good deal to me. All of this would have cost me about 1200 new.

Yeah it's too high. You can get a demo with a warranty for not much more than that. I paid 500 for my large demo that had been used one time.
    Large, Medium

Heflin, AL
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    On the flip side I am also surprised by how many people think of the big green egg as only a smoker.  I know plenty of people who only fire it up to cook ribs or butts. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• dmirish1
    Options
    In the beginning before I got an egg, I was under the same impression. I thought people were only getting them JUST to smoke. I had no idea everything  you could do with it until I found this forum. Then I knew I should have gotten one long, long ago.

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    It saddens me every time I see an listed for sale. How could someone part with one is beyond me. I love both of mine and will never ever let them go. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Pridnjoy
    Pridnjoy Posts: 130
    Options
    Maybe he is getting a different size? Maybe he has health issues that limit his use? Maybe it's his own decision and it shouldn't concern anyone other than the buyer and seller. Heck, there are so many variables that it really doesn't matter...
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Pridnjoy said:
    Maybe he is getting a different size? Maybe he has health issues that limit his use? Maybe it's his own decision and it shouldn't concern anyone other than the buyer and seller. Heck, there are so many variables that it really doesn't matter...
    We aren't calling for him to be strung up! It his business, but it is still something to talk about. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    @Pridnjoy. Exactly. What does anyone care? He probably drives a different car than most of us too 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Options
    Or maybe it's hot.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Or maybe itS a she and she's hot.