Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ competitions using BGE

Options
2»

Comments

• JerBear
    JerBear Posts: 5
    Options
    Dizzy Pig BBQ competition team only uses BGE's to compete in KCBS events. They have done very well over the years with quite a few GC and RGC awards.
    Alton, VA. Egg Family: Large, Small and Mini
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options

Texansurf said:
    Always cook to the judges... Sadly most of the judging is done before they even take a bite.   Appearance. 
    As a Certified BBQ Judge for KCBS I have to disagree with this. Does appearance matter? Absolutely, and at least in most of the contests I've seen you won't have a chance to win without very good appearance scores, but you can clearly say the same for taste and tenderness. Mathematically appearance is actually the LEAST impactful part of the overall score, but in truth it's the best all around entries that will stand a chance to win.

That being said, I've had a large number of excellent looking entries score poorly on taste and tenderness (seems to happen most in ribs and brisket) and a few medium appearance score entries score excellent in TnT. The teams that consistently get called have figured out how to excel in all three.

Cheers all -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Competing is really overrated to begin with. You spend a crap ton of money for the entry fee...even more money on SRF meat. Even more money on rubs, sauces and what not.

i think the appearance part of judging is ridiculous. You spend 30 minutes putting the parsley in there just perfect just to hand the box off to someone who does who knows what to it before anyone even opens the box to look at it in the first place.

Dont get me wrong it is still fun, but plan to drop 800.00 and just hope YOU time it correct and get it done on time.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    @Texansurf just gave some of the best advice on comp I have seen. Even though appearance scores are weighted low, they win comps. There is a direct correlation to high appearance scores and the rest of the categories being high. They make their mind up the second the box opens. The tasting is just to confirm or deny.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Texansurf
    Texansurf Posts: 507
    Options

Texansurf said:
    Always cook to the judges... Sadly most of the judging is done before they even take a bite.   Appearance. 
    As a Certified BBQ Judge for KCBS I have to disagree with this. Does appearance matter? Absolutely, and at least in most of the contests I've seen you won't have a chance to win without very good appearance scores, but you can clearly say the same for taste and tenderness. Mathematically appearance is actually the LEAST impactful part of the overall score, but in truth it's the best all around entries that will stand a chance to win.

That being said, I've had a large number of excellent looking entries score poorly on taste and tenderness (seems to happen most in ribs and brisket) and a few medium appearance score entries score excellent in TnT. The teams that consistently get called have figured out how to excel in all three.

Cheers all -
    B_B
    First impressions are very difficult to change, and since the first thing a judge learns of your submission is the appearance, I have found that it sets the tone for the rest of the scoring.
    Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • MeatChurch
    MeatChurch Posts: 200
    Options
    Just remember - you eat with your eyes first. While appearance may not be the highest % percentage of total scores in comps, it is very important. 

Our competition team arsenal has 2 Big Green Eggs (XL, L - both with 2 tier systems)and an offset stick burner. taste poal

BBQ competitions are very different in different parts of the country. Palates and cook talent levels vary greatly depending where you are. Not just state to state, but there is a lot of variability even within my state.

We are in Texas where BBQ competitions are very, very tough. The amount of talent in this state makes every weekend a challenge.

My advice - go judge. You quickly figure out what people are looking for in turn-ins. And also, go compete. A lot. It's addicting and a whole new big BBQ family.

XL, Large, Mini-Max in Texas - Big Green Egg Competition Team 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    Texansurf said:
    Always cook to the judges... Make sure the bark and smoke ring is solid.  
    It is my understanding that in KCBS competitions that the smoke ring is specifically not supposed to be used as a criterion for judging since a smoke ring is simply a chemical reaction that can be achieved artificially with brines/rubs.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @HeavyG - That is true.  It's not completely an objective endeavor to judge food.  What's the first thing you notice when you look at something cooked low and slow?  If it's not the smoke ring, you're in a minority. 
    Options
    Tuffy Stone said to me, "I know smoke ring is not supposed to matter, but damn that is sexy!"

So you be the judge.......
    XL, Large, Mini-Max in Texas - Big Green Egg Competition Team 

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I guess the initial post was a month ago, but just saw this. As far as sauce on the ribs, we like to use some. Mainly just to prepare the judges palate for what is to follow once they get a little sauce on the tongue. I like a sauce with some sweet, some tang and not much other flavor. Makes them purty too!

We've done over 130 KCBS competitions on our EGGs, and they've cooked very well for us. Even with 2 EGGs, doing all 4 categories would be a challenge. We use 6 :) Heading out this weekend to compete in Floyd, VA. Eggs all packed up and ready to roll. If any of y'all are in the Blacksburg area, stop on out and say howdy. It is at the Chateau Morrisette on top of the mountain! 

http://thedogs.com/events/festivals.html#eventkloud/2015musicandbbqfestiva

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    @HeavyG - That is true.  It's not completely an objective endeavor to judge food.  What's the first thing you notice when you look at something cooked low and slow?  If it's not the smoke ring, you're in a minority. 
    Sure, I get that it is something that everyone (including judges) expects to see and there is always going to be tension between being subjective/objective when evaluating anything based on something other than hard data.

I'm just wondering given everything we have come to know and understand about smoke rings and how easily they can be (and apparently oftentimes are)  "faked" and how they have nothing to do with taste when they might fall "out of fashion".

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    fyi-Nature Boy is the Babe Ruth of Big Green Egg competition cooking. One should weigh his opinion accordingly. Our team is still trying to be as good as the Dizzy Pig group of Egg cookers.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    @Grillin_beers, that's a good article thanks for share and @SoCalTim, I can believe and understand that.  I need to check out his restaurant next time I am in Des Monies visiting my brother. 
    @Ladeback69 and @Grillin_beers
    What restaurant is Mo affiliated with? I live in a suburb of Des Moines and have tried most of the places around here, but I didn't know he was involved.  I bought some of his sauce to give as a gift for Christmas and it got rave reviews but then I couldn't find it again for 8 months...I will say it is fantastic though. 
    @Mike_the_BBQ_FanaticPonderosa BBQ in Des Moines.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    Thanks @Ladeback69 , that's the name he competes under but I don't believe it's a restaurant. I did see that according to the website that catering might be coming soon...since its local for me I'll keep an eye on it and report back...the sauce is off the hook.
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Smitty, you are kind my friend. But a little modest. You guys are rocking it out there on the other coast! 

Hope all is well out yonder. Thanks for the kind words.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ