Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooks Questions

Options
Ive been to 3 Eggtober events now.. This year I feel comfortable enough to make the leap to the cooks side.  As a First timer..What can I expect?  If you have some general tips advise  etc feel free to post it... any information will be helpful.  Just from info Ive seen on other posts I saw that power is not provided to the stations.. are small generators allowed?  Do you guys do a lot of the prep on site or just come with everything ready to go?  Thanks for tips!

Comments

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    as far as power is concerned, check with the people hosting.  at the NH fest there were people camping at their site and I think some even gad generators.

others more experienced will chime in with the other stuff.  just be prepared for vultures to steal stuff off your plate and walk away before, during, and immediately after your cook. and for many of them to not say a word.  they don't always know you are a volunteer, and so,me just assume that since they paid their entry fee, you better keep them happy.

people even take raw stuff, IIRC.

and drink heavily
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Thecoiman
    Thecoiman Posts: 134
    Options
    my suggestion is do most of your prep work at the event, I have done it both ways and I find doing prep work there gives you something to do.  I also had a problem when I did my prep work at home because I did not have everything sealed as I should the food I prep was not as good because I traveled 3 or 4 hours with food in the ice chest. 
    Garland, TX

2 Large, 1 Mini Max, 1 Mini
  • Pridnjoy
    Pridnjoy Posts: 130
    Options
    When you cook (and pay the fee to do so), do you also provide the total cost of the food? Or do the organizers help subsidize your food and supply expenses? 

I'm too new to go for it and commit to cook, so mainly curious....
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    some eggfests might have a sponsor who gives you a coupon for some meat or something, but most of it is all at your expense.
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Pridnjoy
    Pridnjoy Posts: 130
    Options
    some eggfests might have a sponsor who gives you a coupon for some meat or something, but most of it is all at your expense.
    Pretty amazing cooks sign up and spend $$$.  BGE is getting great publicity from its fans and organizers could make decent money. 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    oh, but it all evens out.  they give you a tee shirt

• RTSampson
    Options

Being a cook is actually free.  You pay to sign up but get the money back when you show up.  You are responsible for the food you cook. 

Suwanee, GA
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited August 2015
    Options
    well, hasn't always been true.  may be now.

once paid for the privilege of cooking, plus the food.

these things may have gotten more consolidated under BGE control, but for a time it was the person running it who made up the rules, and there were examples of cooks paying only about $5 less than a taster and, IIRC, one event where prices for being a cook were HIGHER.  i think the rationale of the organizer was that the cooks got a lot of stuff in their goodie bag.

i know that at some events when cooks got in free, there would be people signing up to cook and then just showing up and not doing any cooking.  but that was a while ago... (other forum)

• chadewey2000
    Options

REGISTRATION IS LIVE!!!  JUST GOT MY COOKS TICKETS AND MEET AND GREET..  AND A ROOM AT THE M&G HOTEL ON SITE.  NOW TIME TO PREP THAT MENU!

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    just to be clear, because i wasn't... i was speaking about the eggfests around the country.  the big eggtober fest is literally something altogether diff'rent.